• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pequin vs Tepin-The official Definition?

What's the trick to germinating Tepins? Two years ago I made a business trip to Mexico and brought back a hand full of dried Tepins. I failed at germination so I gave 40 seeds to a buddy that owns a greenhouse. He also failed.
From what I understand....Pequins are bullet shaped, and Tepins are round. But then again, I can't even get them to germinate! So what do I know?
I have seen many arguments about the worlds hottest pepper (Habs or Tepin). I have eaten fresh Tepins in a Mexican restraunt. And I will admit, they are pretty hot (about two to three swigs on the beer scale)........but they don't really even stand up to even the Orange Hab. However, now that the great Naga has emerged, we can stop worrying about it.

Tepins for me take a long time to germinate, almost a month, and they do need bottom heat. They also have a tendency to rot in the ground before they germinate. Try to soak them in hot water out of the tap for a night, then plant. Then try to keep them as warm as possible. You can also try using some fine sandpaper and just lightly scratching the seed to break the coat they have on them to protect them as they pass through the stomach of birds. I have 2 plants out of 3 whole tepin peppers that were planted. Maybe I just don't know the knack to doing it, I don't know.

Pequins for me however I have no problems with.

DaveinCoalinga said:
Tepins for me take a long time to germinate, almost a month, and they do need bottom heat.

I juse germinated another tepin and it took just a bit less than 30 days....I have never had one take over 30 days. This seed had bottom heat for about 15 days, 15 days no heat.

I put them in damp paper towel, seal it in a zip-lock and put it on bottom heater, a heating pad I got from Wally's World for $9.00. Germinating temp on low setting is 84-87 F.

The real problem with tepin germination is grower impatience.....if they don't germinate in 10 days or so, most growers throw them out concluding that they will NOT germinate.

Wow, I'm just impressed, my piquin is a little over 6 feet tall and my tepins are a big busy of peppers, there must be at least 100 peppers on one of my plants!

He he just you wait n see what it can do with a little more time.....

This is another small pod baby, its PI 446909 a C. praetermissum..I had one last year that yielded over 1000 peppers. This is a great plant, loads of peppers and OH SO beautiful flowers.

canopyT.jpg

flowerT.jpg

Got to love these small pod peppers

All the best

Guy

How does the heat/flavor from c. praetermissum compare to peqins or tepins? I MUST grow some next year, they look very prolific! brookthecook

I didn't have much problems with germinating tepins either. I received PI511886 (that's the sivuli right?) from willard and it germinated in 6 days in a proporgator(is that the right word?) kept at about 30-32 degrees celsius soil temperture

However I couldn't keep them alive, probably a lack of light. Will definetely try again next season!

Back