• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South African

Welcome to PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South Africa

If you would like to see the 2012/2013 Grow, you can see it Here

First a little info about our country:

South Africa is situated at the very southern tip of the African continent. Our country ranges a divers spectrum of cultures and religions and of course habitats. Our country is flanked by the Atlantic on the SW coast line and the Indian Ocean on the NE coast line. Our diverse habitats range from tropical to sub saharan and even desert up north. One thing is for sure, the high summer temperatures and generally mild winter temperatures mean that our country does offer a great opportunity to grow chillies (among other things). To those who are not familiar with our country, Africa probably conjurs up images of harsh barren landscapes with dry baked un-fertile soil and wild animals roaming all over the place. South Africa is probably one of the most established african countries with a large farming sector and loads of fertile soil.

The locality of where this grow will take place is largely situated inland near Pretoria. Altitude here is about 4000ft above sea level. We are talking mild winters with some frost early mornings (temperatures drop at night due to altitude). Daytime temps in winter are round about 21ºC and night time temps can drop as low as -4ºC on a very cold night. There is no rain on the "Highveldt" as we call it in winter. As a rule of thumb all months of the year without an "R" do not have rain. These are our dry months, which go from May till August. Our summer is also our rainy season. This goes from September till April. Temperatures in Pretoria in Summer vary 30ºC - 40ºC daytime to a low of 17ºC on average at night. While there is often long dry spells without rain, rains usually accumulate as huge thunderstorms that bring flash floods, hail and sever lightning.

The farm has a borehole which provides water for the garden. Although at present there is no irrigation system. One of my projects for this year.

Animal wise, we have loads of insects, snakes, scorpions, spiders, primates (Baboons and Vervet Monkeys) as well as Carnivores such as Jackals, Rooicats (mountain lion) and other smaller wild cats. But as far as chillies go, the monkeys and baboons are the biggest problem as they do eat the milder chillies and destroy plants while foraging. There are no traps big enough for monkeys and generally they are very clever to get around most deterrents, so full enclosure with shade netting is the best way.

Other than this, I would say that while there has been much bad publicity about the country in the press, our country is a beautiful country with diversity everywhere, the land, the people, the cultures and the religions. Hence our country is called the rainbow nation. Most famous person is probably Nelson Mandella who established our new democracy in the New South Africa after the apartheit era. Our country is a young democracy in the making - but most of all, our country is a diverse and beautiful country with much to offer and of course home of the Big 5, Blue Whale and Great White Shark... and much much more. Just a quick and very narrow snapshot of what our wonderful country is about!

Last years experience has given me a better understanding of growing at the farm and these are the pitfalls from my exercise last year.

Generally last year was a great season. Great weather - hot and dry. Lots of mistakes made, but things that will not be repeated. Last year we had about 78 different varieties of chillies. We had an estimated 1000 plants in the soil. Last season was our first season growing in the soil and based on previous experiences with growing in pots... I will say adieu to pots and hello soil.

1) Watering. As mentioned there is no irrigation. Water is available a plenty, but regular watering in these hot climates is a must. So for me, I will be looking closely at getting some sort of a watering system up and running. Added problem is that the farm is located about 1 hour from where I live, so watering every day during the week was reliant on staff at the farm watering ever second day during the week. Staffing issues resulted in the loss of quite a few plants due to non watering. So irrigation and a computer will be priority.

2) Season. Last year we started planting seedlings late October/Early November. This year we aim to be in the soil early October. Germination started earlier this season beginning July. I have also acquired a green house which I will use for the seedlings.

3) Planting. Last year planting got into a big muddle. This year I will be more methodical. Also, we planted too close. We found that this becomes a problem when harvesting. We did not feel that last years approach of planting two seedlings together being a problem. We did not notice any significant lower yield with plants that had been planted together as opposed to individually. And found that the cohabitation of plants together (in pairs) actually helped in areas where seedlings were exposed to direct sun. In fact, cohabitation resulted in better growth and larger plants.

4) Spacing. Last year we planted seedlings approx 45cm apart. We would like to extend this to 60cm as we found 45cm to be too dense. We were happy with using channels and rows which helped retain water for approx two - three days between watering and helped channel any run off out of the field. Also, there was no pooling or puddling which was better I think.

5) Insects/monkeys/Snails. Mostly cutworm issues with small seedlings. We will tackle this by using (Stickman's stick method) and through pellets - if need be. Pepper maggots: We suffered quite extensively with Pepper Maggots. We will implement sacrificial boundary plants, fly tapes and beer traps (not for me but the wasps). Monkeys: Plant inside enclosures only. We will be looking at extending the current shade net enclosure, but will need to raise funding for this. Giant African Land Snail: Amazing buggers these. We found lots but only a few that had dug into the plants root system to suck the minerals from plant roots. Not much of a threat as these were just removed by hand, but the enclosure goes a long way to preventing them from getting in.

6) Weeds. Last year we had a problem with weeds. Weeds were time consuming at the start of the season and probably brought about by the application of horse manure. We will try and look at applying some kind of ground cover to reduce weeds, but this will be advised at a later stage.

7) Planting. Last year we took young seedlings and planted them in a nursery. Once big enough we transplanted them densely in the inside enclosed garden (which has 40% shade cloth) and then transplanted the young plants to the open fields once about 15 - 20cm in size. We would like to cut out all the extra work and transplanting, which we found to just delay growth. Every time you transplant, the plant growth is set back... so we will be planting directly into the plants final destination. This means we will be waiting for the pants to get to 15-20cm in size before planting in the soil. Last season we planted seedlings in the soil when they were very small and this also resulted in losses through cutworm.

8) Fertilizers. Nothing hectic. The soil at the farm is incredibly rich and fertile soil. But we found last year that Seaweed and Fish fertilizers to be brilliant and totally harmless. So we will definitely be sticking with this recipe. Out of time constraint, last season, pellets were applied to the surface as opposed to mixing the pellets into the soil around the base of the plant, so this season we will try and do this properly. We alo will pay particular attention to maintaining the mounds around the root base and regularly loosening the soil. With our flash floods and heavy downpours the mounds do flatten and the soil becomes compacted. This results in roots being exposed, water running off the soil as opposed to into the soil and ultimately impacting on the plants optimal growth.

9) Support. Last year we added support as the plants became bigger. Not knowing how big some of the plants would get. We have a better idea this year and will be implementing supports at the beginning. We have two types of bamboo on the farm and will be using the harder thinner bamboo as this does not disturb the roots as much.

10) Drink. More beer. Last year we did not have nearly enough beer to get us through the backbreaking work... so there will have to be more beer for sure :) Just one more thing on that, Nature is an amazing process. Trust in nature. Everything has its place and jumping to intervene (which we always want to do) is sometimes the worst thing that we can do. Plants are very forgiving once established and a lot more resilient than we give them credit for. So chill. Have a beer when the nerves are frayed and you want to reach for the napalm. Nature is amazing most of the time and things in nature have survived a million times over. For aphids there are ladybirds. For insects there are the birds... if you napalm the aphids, the ladybirds will go... just chill and have a beer :) This is my theory and I am sticking to it lol

Ok, lots on the cards this year. plenty to do and arrange and it will be kicking off shortly. The plants from last year are still in the garden and field. I only over wintered the special plants. Of these there are 100 mature plants that I rescued from the winter frost. The other 900 plants are still in the soil. It looks like armageddon in the fields. Some plants have been taken by the frost for sure, but others are showing signs of life. I plan to go this week to weed out the dead plants from the survivors and prune dead wood. I am planning to rearrange things somewhat, so once I have established the survivors, I will be transplanting those plants to get order back into the fields. This will allow me to get the vacant land ready for new plants.

As mentioned germination is well under way. Propagator has been fired up now for month and a bit and seedlings are coming along just great. First week of October will be my D-Day for planting.

Loads of exciting new chillies on the go this season. I had intended to cut down on the number of plants this year... but guess what :D

Grow List 2013/2014

Aji Lemon
Angkor Sunrise
Anheim
Antilaise Caribbean
Avenir
Baby Belle Pimento
Bahamian Goat
Bali Long
Bali Naga
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Cappuccino
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia X Habanero Giant White
Big Jim
Bile Bile (Zimbabwean PeriPeri)
Biquinho
Bishops Crown
Black Pearl
Blondie
Bonda Ma Jacques
Boriya Mirch
Cabe Merah
Calapeño Thunder
California Wonder Golden
Calypso
CARDI Red
Carolina Reaper
Cayenne
Joe's Long Cayenne
Cherry Sweet
Cherry Bomb
Cheyenne
Cheyenne X Thai
Condom (Aji Verde)
Datil
Devil's Tongue Brown
Devil's Tongue White
Ecuadorian Sweet
Explosive Embers
Facing Heaven
Fatalii Red
Fatalii White
Fatalii Yellow
Fidalga Roxa
Fish Pepper
Goronong Cili
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Champagne
Habanero Gambia
Habanero Golden
Habanero Paper Lantern
Habanero Peach Long
Habanero Red
Habanero Large White
Habanero White Jellybean
Hong Kong
Hot Pixies
Hungarian Hot Wax
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Hungarian White Apple
Ignite
Jalapeño
Jalapeño El Jefe
Jamaican Gold
Jawala
Long Thai
Madballz7
Makulu Peri
Malaguetta
Manzano Orange
Mata Frade
Morango
Naga King Jolokia
Naga Morich (European)
Naga Morich (Indian)
Naga Viper
NagaBon
Nagalah
Orange Blob
Pasilla Bajio
Pata Pario
PeriPeri (Mozambique)
PeriPeri (Malawi)
PeriPeri (SA)
Phuli Jiyoti
Pimenta de Neyde
Purple Tiger
Red Savina
Ring of Fire
Rocotillo
Rodo
CARDI Yellow Scorpion
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Peach Long
Serrano
Sikanya
Tabasco
Thai Dragon
Thaibo
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrakpore
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah X Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad 7 Pot Brainstrain
Trinidad 7 Pot Burgundy
Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah
Trinidad 7 Pot Red
Trinidad 7 Pot White
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion Long Tail
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow FG
Tuscan Frgitello (Pepperoncini)

122 different types - I hope that will be it :D

Thank you to Stickman for the seeds. Thank you to Conor for his seeds and thank you to Meatfreak for the amazing selection he sent. I am still hoping that Walkgood's package will arrive - so thanks for those in advance my friend!

chilli whisperer said:
Thanks lourens,yes,the funeral is today,so its not realy a good day for anyone in the family as everyone is emotional.
Yes,I updated,but no pics yet because all my seedlings died last time I came the one worker on the farm had to water the seedlings for me,but when I got back I probably only had 3 seedlings out of probably 250 seedlings I had re I came to joburg
I was real bumbed :(
But I replanted,I literaly started all over....but this time my friend is watering them everyday,so hopefully by the time I get back I'll have new seedlings,fingers crossed!
Sorry J, I am holding thumbs for you. You had some awesome chillied lined up for this season :)

Big thunderstorms in Joburg tonight. Perfect really as we have had some pretty awesome weather for the last week and more. Some days overcast, but mostly hot with a little rain here and there. I actually laid down some ferts this morning around all the plants... so this rain is welcome I guess. It will help to filter them ferts right down to the roots.

I need to plant up my 2 litre bags to 10 litre bags. I will have to order some soil... but most places around Joburg only sell potting soil by the bag... which works out crazy expensive. The one place I did find do a Garden Mix, which is not strictly a potting soil - and their minimum load is 3m3... but I think I may have to just do it!

Great progress with the plants this week. Really looking happy. Lots of new growth, flowers and poddage everywhere. Kids are away with Aunty on a cruise ship to Maozambique, so they are having a blast and I am getting loads done ;)

Anyway... here are some update pics

Charles, this one is for you buddy... Choco Bhut x Douglah. This one proved to be one hell of a hot chilli last season. Can't wait to get more of these babies... have loads of these on the go. Great for making kick A powder.

IMG_6868.jpg

One of my easy growers and probably one of the most prolific... the Naga Morich EU I call it.

IMG_6869.jpg

Got to love this one. Nagalah. I think its the same difference as the Bhutlah.... these are beautiful pods with a orange to burnt rusty orange colour to them. Heat and flavour are awesome too. I really like this one.

IMG_6870.jpg

The Korean Winner - this one is for you Rick... is winning. That's what it said on the packet and this is what it is doing. This is an all round easy grower with really awesome pods. Super tasty and really great yields from these plants.

IMG_6872.jpg

Some more Annuums along the way... Joe's Long Cayenne. Grew these for the first time last season and was pleasantly surprised. Taste is the same as the regular Cayenne. But these are mega long... good fun these. And the Ancho Pablano. Growing these for the first time this season. I am growing quite a few Mexican varieties this season. I am hoping to get enough pods to warrant a little smoking experiment later on in the season :)

IMG_6873.jpg

The 7Pot Yellow. These just popped up at my doorstep last season. Not sure how they got there... but I won't complain. This season too I have found seeds I bought from suppliers have resulted in rogues. I have a mistery Annuum in my Goronongs, but hey - the more variation the better!

IMG_6875.jpg

PeriPeri seeds collected from right here in SA. Actually these came from Natal, one of the provinces here where the Indian community grow these proper PeriPeri's. I grew these in my first season and had huge results. Actually I had a jar of PeriPeri from last season sitting in the fridge that actually just fermented real slow. 6 months it was fermenting... man it was out of this world! I sold all ten jars. In a flash they were gone!

IMG_6876.jpg

I have been topping my plants sytematically this season to spurr on side growth on plants. I have noticed that there are certain plants that really do not like being topped. The PeriPeri is one of these plants! Very slow to recover these... don't like it one bit. I actually think it is really not necessary to top the PeriPeri as they naturally grow bushy. Note to myself for the future!

This one is for you Charles... Yellow Bhut. Looking much better this season I think. I have great hopes for these this season. Last season was probably the wettest, coldest and most overcast summer ever. So the Yellow Bhut did not like this one bit. But this year we are onto something better I believe.

IMG_6877.jpg

Conor, this one is for you buddy. I have to say I have a real soft spot for the Cabe Merah. What a cracker of an awesome chilli plant. Beautiful bushy plants that grow super well. Sculptural curly cayenne type pods and the heat and flavour are simply exceptional. I dry these and they make a most magnificent powder that can be used for everything.

IMG_6878.jpg

TS Red. Grew these the first time last season and was massively impressed with the plant. Massive plant & pods... and mighty fine chillies.

IMG_6879.jpg

Very nice!  Can't wait to see how the choco bhut x douglah will look this year.  I'm rooting for the yellow bhut, hope they get a little bigger for you than they turned out last year.

Lots of Naga Kings on the go. I actually am hoping I will get some Nabasco variations coming through... but we will have to see.

IMG_6880.jpg

7Pot Primo. Tricky to germinate this time round. Not sure why, but we still have quite a few plants on the go.

IMG_6881.jpg

7Pot Barrakpore. Last season the pods I got from the Barrakpore plants were really blisteringly hot. Hotter than the Primo's and Douglah's. I am hoping this season will be the same :)

IMG_6882.jpg

Grew these for the first time last season and was pleasantly surprised. A great hibryd these. The Nagabon really ticks all the boxes. Not as hot as I would have imagined... but super tasty.

IMG_6884.jpg

I actually quite like the 7Pot Red. It's plain and it just grows and produces. I have not had any luck with these last season due to the rotten summer... but lots on the go this season and I am hoping there will be loads of pods like in my first grow. I would be super happy if I could recreate those pods again :)

IMG_6885.jpg

No grow would be complete without the Bhut Jolokia. Now these seem to vary quite a bit in my experience. Plants are low lying, but produce well. The Naga King omn the other hand is a much larger plant with larger pods. Pods on the standard Bhut Jolokia also vary quite a bit in colour. With the Naga King you get that ghostly fever green colour of the pods... which i think looks really cool.

IMG_6887.jpg

Last season again saw nill for Fatalii's. These guys like it hot. Can be tricky as seedlings in my experience... but once plants take... :) smiles all the way. I can't wait to get them super awesome pods in my hands this season. I have great plans for these pods :)

IMG_6888.jpg

Another soft spot. Fell in love with this one first time I grew these. The Scotch Bonnet Peach Long... wow... amazing flavour... with hints of Ruby Grapefruit and ooooh, superhot. Love these... hope I get them nice elongated pods I got in the first season.

IMG_6889.jpg

Ramon buddy... here's your babies - grown in African soil and loving it. Last season they grew mighty fine. But again, I really felt the flavour was much more Scotch Bonnet than Haba. But this might just be my funky taste buds :)

IMG_6890.jpg

And another one... these ladies can't get enough of our climate here. They seem to be totally unphased with wet conditions and produced well in our miserably wet summer last season. I really love these.

IMG_6891.jpg

Spicegeist said:
Very nice!  Can't wait to see how the choco bhut x douglah will look this year.  I'm rooting for the yellow bhut, hope they get a little bigger for you than they turned out last year.
Hey my friend. Thank you! I think last year was so bad all round... it is nothing to go by at all. I think looking at the plants this season, I have great aspirations for these. Oh and these are the bhut "C" by the way ;)
oops I need a bump buddy!

IMG_6892.jpg

I really enjoyed growing the Aji Lemon last season. Great tasting baccatum these. Not sure if it is the name or the colour... but they seem to really taste lemony... and I just love that fresh clean taste and that crunch is awesome on these. Besides the fact they just look awesome :)

IMG_6894.jpg

Another new variety this year... the Holy Moly. Not sure about this one... but had to try it!

IMG_6895.jpg

Thai Dragons a plenty this season. I think these are one of my favorite Thai chillies. Really great for making powders too.

IMG_6896.jpg

Another newbee, the Thai Hat... or should that be the Thai Hot lol... I think I may have read the labels wrong on the seeds. Anyway, I know nothing about this... but am really looking forward to the surprise!

IMG_6897.jpg

PeriPeri Malawi. As the name suggests these seeds came from Malawi. I got whole dried pods that I got the seeds from. These pods were much smaller than the regular PeriPeri and the heat on those pods were out of the ballpark. Blow your head off hot! I have tried many a PeriPeri here and these little pods were by far the hottest PeriPeri I have ever tasted. So great expectations with this strain!

IMG_6898.jpg

Kim Chi... a new variety for me this season. I never knew they had a chilli by this name. Anyway... they are great little plants thus far... I think these will be happy plants.

IMG_6899.jpg

Isleno Mulato... another new variety for me this season.

IMG_6900.jpg

Pimientos de Padron... I have been craving trying these. Roasted with olive oil and rock salt yum yum!

IMG_6901.jpg

Pasilla Bajio. I grew these in my first grow and really missed them last season. I think I never knew what to do with the pods. But this season I think I know and am really excited to get some of these brown gems onto the table :)

IMG_6902.jpg

Spicegeist said:
Great looking plants.  I'm overwintering a Naga King and will probably grow a couple of plants from saved seed too, an excellent variety...
Hey Charles, love them! Naga Kings overwinter well here... I have a few overwinetered plants this season and they are well into making pods already. I can't wait to taste my first one for the season... watering at the mouth as we speak lol

Costenos Amarillo... new variety this season :)

IMG_6903.jpg

Mulato Isleno... also new this season. Still quite small, but hopefully after the ferts will get a boost :)

IMG_6905.jpg

Onza... you guessed it... I focussed on the Mexican varieties this season. I really want to do a lot of dried smoked Mexican chillies this season. I want to construct a traditional smoking pit with two chambers under ground. So I can cold smoke the chillies. Going to use either wood chips from Acacia (our closest to Mesquite) or some wood from an old apple tree we have on our property here. Anyway... that is the idea ;)

IMG_6906.jpg

Golden Greek Peperoncini... also got the mediterranean tappas thing going on this season.

IMG_6907.jpg

Cant have a Mexican collection without these right? Guajillo...

IMG_6908.jpg

Spicegeist said:
I know what you mean... they'll be here before you know it.

Kim Chi... maybe it's used to make kim chi (pickled Korean veggies)?  I love that stuff.
I have heard Rick talk about Kim Chi, but I do not recall him ever having grown this variety. I imagine this must be what this chilli is for lol I have only tried it once and I also loved it!
Spicegeist said:
Now you need to learn some Mexican recipes and put those pods to work!
You are right... I really want to learn. I simply love the concept of Mexican cuisine. I don't think I have ever had real Mexican food, but I would love to try making something authentic. Hopefully with the right peppers and smoked peppers... it will be possible :)
My first ever Rocoto's... so excited about these. Plants look so unusual... loving it already. Sadly all my other Rocoto seeds got stuck in our huge postal strike... but I have my first on the go wooohoo!

IMG_6909.jpg

Reaper on the go... quite a few variants/throw backs in my plants last season. I am hoping to get the truer phenos coming through the ranks this season. This one has the purple in the stem that I recall from my first plants. This one needs planting on now.

IMG_6910.jpg

Theres the first of my Naga King pods... still small, but man I am already salivating!

IMG_6911.jpg

Man, I have so many chilli plants going on right now I have no idea how I will accommodate them all lol INSANE!

IMG_6912.jpg

One of my best producers and man is it hot lol ButchTxBhut. This is a mighty fine variety. Massive pods on these.

IMG_6913.jpg

Huh, your Naga King looks different from how mine turned out, and the seed was from you :think: .

What kind of Rocoto is it?  I'm considering growing them again in 2015, but haven't decided yet...

And that is all for now. So many more varieties on the go than what I have shown thus far. Not sure I will ever capture it all lol Probably the most ambitious grow to date and  the most challenging! I hate growing in containers... but - touch wood - so far, so good! I also have huge restraints space wise. I am growing in Joburg with its cooler weather and my garden is a haven for Whitefly. But as I said, so far so good.

On the agenda - transplanting. All plants need pimping into their 10 litre bags. I know I need bigger bags, but with so many plants... it just ain't feasible. So I guess it will just have to be. I have to get more potting soil though.... this is for certain!

Beneficial plants seem to be working. Now that the plants have started flowering, I am seeing more and more Ladybugs in the garden. As mentioned at the beginning, I am testing a new certified fert... I am holding thumbs and will revert back. I am hoping it will kicj start some serious growth... but for now, that is all folks!

Spicegeist said:
Huh, your Naga King looks different from how mine turned out, and the seed was from you :think: .

What kind of Rocoto is it?  I'm considering growing them again in 2015, but haven't decided yet...
It was just labelled as a Rocoto red... got these from Pepperseed.eu - actually had a really awesome experience with them. All seeds germinated without a hitch and great service as well.

I have quite a few Naga King plants on the go. How is my plant different?
The pod I showed is still in its infancy, so will still grow bigger - if this is what you mean. I know rick had a seed produce a hibryd with Tabasco in it. So pods were more like elongated folded frutescens pods. We cam up with the name Nabasco lol I am hoping I will get some of those this season. I would like to use them to make some Nabasco sauce lol

Daedra said:
amazing plants peri 
Thank you Daedra, and welcome ;)

Spicegeist said:
Well, here's a shot from my plant from this past season:
14791887384_645b8b14c2_b.jpg

Maybe it crossed with one of the reapers you were growing?  These pods were very hot...
Charles, those look fabulous! I just love the colour! I think mine the colour is the same and if you compare your imature smaller pods to mine... they are very similar. In my first season, I got some huge pods. Not sure they have crossed, but I have not seen large pods like in the first season. I am hoping I will get some monster pods this season on the new plants. I just love that colour! lol Thanks for sharing... that plant of yours looks awesome I think. How was it taste wise?

Do I see more Naga King pods way in the distance in that pic? What chillies are those?

Just stunning growth, Lourens!  The plants look really great.

Good luck getting them into larger bags; then watch out;
they may push you off the property!  

Any word on postal service yet?

Hey Paul, thank you for popping in buddy! Thank you, I had an inate fear of growing in pots. But so far so good (touch wood).

Wow, I know what you mean. The bulk of my plants are in 2 litre bags and bursting at the seams... I have absolutely no idea how to make the space for transplanting them into 10 litre bags. Nothing for it - I'll have to buy a farm lol

The PO strike has - apparently - come to an end! Hooray! I received my first slip from a parcel sent end of July! Funny thing was we also have a power crisis here as our government did not have the forethought to build power stations in the last 20 years! So I got to the PO and it was closed due to a blackout. Kind of like the wild west here at the moment I'm afraid as things are just falling apart. Anyway, the main thing is postal strike is over. I am resisting sending anything at this moment though as I want to give a few weeks for the backlog to clear - if this makes sense?

I know I have loads of chillies on the go, but I was supposed to have had another $100 worth of new varieties at least... :( Oh well, something to look forward to next year :D

The kim Chi seeds I got from pepperseeds.eu, apparently they are new. I imagine they must be some sort of a Gochu? Rickster, awaken ye from thou hibernation buddy :) I bet Rick will know ;)

PeriPeri said:
The kim Chi seeds I got from pepperseeds.eu, apparently they are new. I imagine they must be some sort of a Gochu? Rickster, awaken ye from thou hibernation buddy :) I bet Rick 'll know ;)

Oh yeah... they're gochu peppers Lourens... just another hybrid variety like the Korea Winner. I've been trying to track down decent heirloom varieties that'll breed true, and have one in hand... possibly another on the way.

Good news all around with an end to the postal strike and some truly excellent-looking plants! :dance: The Hole Mole' is a hybrid of the Pasilla pepper, so it'll look and taste much the same. Technically, when still fresh it's called "Chilaca", but when ripened and dried it's called "Pasilla" (little raisin) because its black and wrinkled appearance looks like one. Pair them up with tomatoes when making sauce and "Anchos" (ripened, dried Poblanos) in Mole' sauces to make authentic Mexican meals. In my experience, Pasillas are more prone to blossom end rot than other varieties, so I'd make sure they get adequate water and calcium from blossoming onwards... just don't go overboard on the calcium supplements. ;)

Cheers!

stickman said:

Oh yeah... they're gochu peppers Lourens... just another hybrid variety like the Korea Winner. I've been trying to track down decent heirloom varieties that'll breed true, and have one in hand... possibly another on the way.

Good news all around with an end to the postal strike and some truly excellent-looking plants! :dance: The Hole Mole' is a hybrid of the Pasilla pepper, so it'll look and taste much the same. Technically, when still fresh it's called "Chilaca", but when ripened and dried it's called "Pasilla" (little raisin) because its black and wrinkled appearance looks like one. Pair them up with tomatoes when making sauce and "Anchos" (ripened, dried Poblanos) in Mole' sauces to make authentic Mexican meals. In my experience, Pasillas are more prone to blossom end rot than other varieties, so I'd make sure they get adequate water and calcium from blossoming onwards... just don't go overboard on the calcium supplements. ;)

Cheers!
You see! I knew you had the answers buddy :D You really do know your stuff Rick! Are you getting some well deserved rest buddy? Or are you straight into the next germination cycle? I want to give the Kim Chi a try this season and I have your recipe to follow... so its going to be good!

When you say calcium... are you talking calcium or bone meal por are they one and the same?

Back