• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South African

Welcome to PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South Africa

If you would like to see the 2012/2013 Grow, you can see it Here

First a little info about our country:

South Africa is situated at the very southern tip of the African continent. Our country ranges a divers spectrum of cultures and religions and of course habitats. Our country is flanked by the Atlantic on the SW coast line and the Indian Ocean on the NE coast line. Our diverse habitats range from tropical to sub saharan and even desert up north. One thing is for sure, the high summer temperatures and generally mild winter temperatures mean that our country does offer a great opportunity to grow chillies (among other things). To those who are not familiar with our country, Africa probably conjurs up images of harsh barren landscapes with dry baked un-fertile soil and wild animals roaming all over the place. South Africa is probably one of the most established african countries with a large farming sector and loads of fertile soil.

The locality of where this grow will take place is largely situated inland near Pretoria. Altitude here is about 4000ft above sea level. We are talking mild winters with some frost early mornings (temperatures drop at night due to altitude). Daytime temps in winter are round about 21ºC and night time temps can drop as low as -4ºC on a very cold night. There is no rain on the "Highveldt" as we call it in winter. As a rule of thumb all months of the year without an "R" do not have rain. These are our dry months, which go from May till August. Our summer is also our rainy season. This goes from September till April. Temperatures in Pretoria in Summer vary 30ºC - 40ºC daytime to a low of 17ºC on average at night. While there is often long dry spells without rain, rains usually accumulate as huge thunderstorms that bring flash floods, hail and sever lightning.

The farm has a borehole which provides water for the garden. Although at present there is no irrigation system. One of my projects for this year.

Animal wise, we have loads of insects, snakes, scorpions, spiders, primates (Baboons and Vervet Monkeys) as well as Carnivores such as Jackals, Rooicats (mountain lion) and other smaller wild cats. But as far as chillies go, the monkeys and baboons are the biggest problem as they do eat the milder chillies and destroy plants while foraging. There are no traps big enough for monkeys and generally they are very clever to get around most deterrents, so full enclosure with shade netting is the best way.

Other than this, I would say that while there has been much bad publicity about the country in the press, our country is a beautiful country with diversity everywhere, the land, the people, the cultures and the religions. Hence our country is called the rainbow nation. Most famous person is probably Nelson Mandella who established our new democracy in the New South Africa after the apartheit era. Our country is a young democracy in the making - but most of all, our country is a diverse and beautiful country with much to offer and of course home of the Big 5, Blue Whale and Great White Shark... and much much more. Just a quick and very narrow snapshot of what our wonderful country is about!

Last years experience has given me a better understanding of growing at the farm and these are the pitfalls from my exercise last year.

Generally last year was a great season. Great weather - hot and dry. Lots of mistakes made, but things that will not be repeated. Last year we had about 78 different varieties of chillies. We had an estimated 1000 plants in the soil. Last season was our first season growing in the soil and based on previous experiences with growing in pots... I will say adieu to pots and hello soil.

1) Watering. As mentioned there is no irrigation. Water is available a plenty, but regular watering in these hot climates is a must. So for me, I will be looking closely at getting some sort of a watering system up and running. Added problem is that the farm is located about 1 hour from where I live, so watering every day during the week was reliant on staff at the farm watering ever second day during the week. Staffing issues resulted in the loss of quite a few plants due to non watering. So irrigation and a computer will be priority.

2) Season. Last year we started planting seedlings late October/Early November. This year we aim to be in the soil early October. Germination started earlier this season beginning July. I have also acquired a green house which I will use for the seedlings.

3) Planting. Last year planting got into a big muddle. This year I will be more methodical. Also, we planted too close. We found that this becomes a problem when harvesting. We did not feel that last years approach of planting two seedlings together being a problem. We did not notice any significant lower yield with plants that had been planted together as opposed to individually. And found that the cohabitation of plants together (in pairs) actually helped in areas where seedlings were exposed to direct sun. In fact, cohabitation resulted in better growth and larger plants.

4) Spacing. Last year we planted seedlings approx 45cm apart. We would like to extend this to 60cm as we found 45cm to be too dense. We were happy with using channels and rows which helped retain water for approx two - three days between watering and helped channel any run off out of the field. Also, there was no pooling or puddling which was better I think.

5) Insects/monkeys/Snails. Mostly cutworm issues with small seedlings. We will tackle this by using (Stickman's stick method) and through pellets - if need be. Pepper maggots: We suffered quite extensively with Pepper Maggots. We will implement sacrificial boundary plants, fly tapes and beer traps (not for me but the wasps). Monkeys: Plant inside enclosures only. We will be looking at extending the current shade net enclosure, but will need to raise funding for this. Giant African Land Snail: Amazing buggers these. We found lots but only a few that had dug into the plants root system to suck the minerals from plant roots. Not much of a threat as these were just removed by hand, but the enclosure goes a long way to preventing them from getting in.

6) Weeds. Last year we had a problem with weeds. Weeds were time consuming at the start of the season and probably brought about by the application of horse manure. We will try and look at applying some kind of ground cover to reduce weeds, but this will be advised at a later stage.

7) Planting. Last year we took young seedlings and planted them in a nursery. Once big enough we transplanted them densely in the inside enclosed garden (which has 40% shade cloth) and then transplanted the young plants to the open fields once about 15 - 20cm in size. We would like to cut out all the extra work and transplanting, which we found to just delay growth. Every time you transplant, the plant growth is set back... so we will be planting directly into the plants final destination. This means we will be waiting for the pants to get to 15-20cm in size before planting in the soil. Last season we planted seedlings in the soil when they were very small and this also resulted in losses through cutworm.

8) Fertilizers. Nothing hectic. The soil at the farm is incredibly rich and fertile soil. But we found last year that Seaweed and Fish fertilizers to be brilliant and totally harmless. So we will definitely be sticking with this recipe. Out of time constraint, last season, pellets were applied to the surface as opposed to mixing the pellets into the soil around the base of the plant, so this season we will try and do this properly. We alo will pay particular attention to maintaining the mounds around the root base and regularly loosening the soil. With our flash floods and heavy downpours the mounds do flatten and the soil becomes compacted. This results in roots being exposed, water running off the soil as opposed to into the soil and ultimately impacting on the plants optimal growth.

9) Support. Last year we added support as the plants became bigger. Not knowing how big some of the plants would get. We have a better idea this year and will be implementing supports at the beginning. We have two types of bamboo on the farm and will be using the harder thinner bamboo as this does not disturb the roots as much.

10) Drink. More beer. Last year we did not have nearly enough beer to get us through the backbreaking work... so there will have to be more beer for sure :) Just one more thing on that, Nature is an amazing process. Trust in nature. Everything has its place and jumping to intervene (which we always want to do) is sometimes the worst thing that we can do. Plants are very forgiving once established and a lot more resilient than we give them credit for. So chill. Have a beer when the nerves are frayed and you want to reach for the napalm. Nature is amazing most of the time and things in nature have survived a million times over. For aphids there are ladybirds. For insects there are the birds... if you napalm the aphids, the ladybirds will go... just chill and have a beer :) This is my theory and I am sticking to it lol

Ok, lots on the cards this year. plenty to do and arrange and it will be kicking off shortly. The plants from last year are still in the garden and field. I only over wintered the special plants. Of these there are 100 mature plants that I rescued from the winter frost. The other 900 plants are still in the soil. It looks like armageddon in the fields. Some plants have been taken by the frost for sure, but others are showing signs of life. I plan to go this week to weed out the dead plants from the survivors and prune dead wood. I am planning to rearrange things somewhat, so once I have established the survivors, I will be transplanting those plants to get order back into the fields. This will allow me to get the vacant land ready for new plants.

As mentioned germination is well under way. Propagator has been fired up now for month and a bit and seedlings are coming along just great. First week of October will be my D-Day for planting.

Loads of exciting new chillies on the go this season. I had intended to cut down on the number of plants this year... but guess what :D

Grow List 2013/2014

Aji Lemon
Angkor Sunrise
Anheim
Antilaise Caribbean
Avenir
Baby Belle Pimento
Bahamian Goat
Bali Long
Bali Naga
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Cappuccino
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia X Habanero Giant White
Big Jim
Bile Bile (Zimbabwean PeriPeri)
Biquinho
Bishops Crown
Black Pearl
Blondie
Bonda Ma Jacques
Boriya Mirch
Cabe Merah
Calapeño Thunder
California Wonder Golden
Calypso
CARDI Red
Carolina Reaper
Cayenne
Joe's Long Cayenne
Cherry Sweet
Cherry Bomb
Cheyenne
Cheyenne X Thai
Condom (Aji Verde)
Datil
Devil's Tongue Brown
Devil's Tongue White
Ecuadorian Sweet
Explosive Embers
Facing Heaven
Fatalii Red
Fatalii White
Fatalii Yellow
Fidalga Roxa
Fish Pepper
Goronong Cili
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Champagne
Habanero Gambia
Habanero Golden
Habanero Paper Lantern
Habanero Peach Long
Habanero Red
Habanero Large White
Habanero White Jellybean
Hong Kong
Hot Pixies
Hungarian Hot Wax
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Hungarian White Apple
Ignite
Jalapeño
Jalapeño El Jefe
Jamaican Gold
Jawala
Long Thai
Madballz7
Makulu Peri
Malaguetta
Manzano Orange
Mata Frade
Morango
Naga King Jolokia
Naga Morich (European)
Naga Morich (Indian)
Naga Viper
NagaBon
Nagalah
Orange Blob
Pasilla Bajio
Pata Pario
PeriPeri (Mozambique)
PeriPeri (Malawi)
PeriPeri (SA)
Phuli Jiyoti
Pimenta de Neyde
Purple Tiger
Red Savina
Ring of Fire
Rocotillo
Rodo
CARDI Yellow Scorpion
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Peach Long
Serrano
Sikanya
Tabasco
Thai Dragon
Thaibo
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrakpore
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah X Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad 7 Pot Brainstrain
Trinidad 7 Pot Burgundy
Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah
Trinidad 7 Pot Red
Trinidad 7 Pot White
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion Long Tail
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow FG
Tuscan Frgitello (Pepperoncini)

122 different types - I hope that will be it :D

Thank you to Stickman for the seeds. Thank you to Conor for his seeds and thank you to Meatfreak for the amazing selection he sent. I am still hoping that Walkgood's package will arrive - so thanks for those in advance my friend!

Penny said:

My god you are going to be busy busy busy!!! Are you growing any tomatoes this year?
:) Hey Penny, not as many as I had last year courtesy of you ;) But I have some on the go. I will have to give every bit of me I have to the chillies this year.

I don't seem to be able to get the picture links sorted. I have changed my address for my site to a new hosting platform and it just does not seem to want to show the links :think: :doh:  I have had a complete crash on my old site, so I am busy frantically trying to get a new site up and running... but there is so much info! :banghead:

Another heat wave for us here in Johannesburg. Our seasonal rains started with a small downpour in October but since then we have had no more rains. We have not had a drought for over 20 years... but this is now turning into a problem here. Coupled with the water restrictions we are now experiencing, we had temperatures yesterday up to 38ºC and it was still 31ºC at 20:30 last night... temps now at 06:00 was 25ºC... actually feels lovely and cool. Man it is hot!

My wild varieties are taking the biggest strain. They did not like the cold front we just had and now that it's so hot, they are also not liking it. Their leaves seem to just go like limp lettuce and die... anyway, I will post some pics later.

Sorry, just to elaborate, our dry season is from April/May - September. So we generally get no rains for 5/6 months of the year. So when the rains don't come in September... it gets very much worse as we now have only had one lot of rain in our rainy season. Our water reservoirs around the city are running dry and municipalities have had to dispatch water tankers. So I have filled some 20 litre tanks just in case :)

Lots of flower drop going on at the moment. But it seems that this is more due to the hot weather. Not much that can be done about this.

When the plants gpo accross to the farm, temps will be even hotter! At least 3 or 4ºC hotter.... I am not looking forward to working in that heat!

What temps are giving you flower drop? It's been 36-38degs here the last few days, so I have built a shade to help with flower drop.

Pinhigh said:
What temps are giving you flower drop? It's been 36-38degs here the last few days, so I have built a shade to help with flower drop.
Hi Pinhigh, we've had similar temps to you. Not sure if it is the heat, the lack of air circulation (no wind) or the high altitude creating significantly cooler night time temps... but one of those has been a factor in creating the flower drop.

PeriPeri said:
Hi Pinhigh, we've had similar temps to you. Not sure if it is the heat, the lack of air circulation (no wind) or the high altitude creating significantly cooler night time temps... but one of those has been a factor in creating the flower drop.
Interesting. We haven't had much wind, however we are not at altitude and have had night temps above 20deg.

Pinhigh said:
Interesting. We haven't had much wind, however we are not at altitude and have had night temps above 20deg.
Hey Pinhigh, one theory is that plants discard flowers if pollination does not take place. One factor being lack of wind.

Penny said:

Always great when mother nature does it for you, and free too!! ;)
Isn't it just! We have been restricted to watering before 6am and after 6pm only, but hopefully with the rains now, they will lift the hosepipe ban :)

Hey Hey , almost missed your glog, the past week we had 5 inches of rain and 30 and 40F temps here in Missouri, my season is all done what a crappy season we had. I got a late start and was hit with blight, nematodes, and a damn mole that found his way in to my raised beds. As my soil is very depleted and full of nematodes I plan to do some grafting for my tomatoes and eggplants and plant all my peppers in containers.
So Now I'm in the waiting mode, I got some more seeds of C. tovarii and am hoping for good luck getting them to grow for me I'm looking to find C. flexuosum and C. lanceolatum  they not only seem to be the hardest to grow, but also hard to find I'll be putting the word out soon that I'm looking to buy or trade for seeds.
As I have not dropped by for some time I need to go back and do some reading to find out how you are doing, I hope you get some rain soon, our West Coast here has been bone dry for some time now and despite the rains they are getting now there wells are still in bad shape and the effects of their drought is really starting to show in the cost of our produce in the markets. It seems the every state here in the US is hurting some way, the only good thing is Gas prices are down.
Well hope you are doing well.

George.

Well I went back and got caught up on all the back post, I really like the flavor of Rocoto's myself they can be a little hard at times to get them to set pods especially during hot months where Temps go over 80F. for me that means late spring and fall for pod set, I have looked for a long time for a rocoto that would set pods even on the really hot days and nights, so far I have not found any.
They do take near freezing weather if given some protection and I had one plant that was producing pods into December that I had a cover over which gave just enough protection at least till the ground froze.
I got my first Rocoto seeds from a guy that had a site called rocoto.com  He had a big plant that was several years old and He would cut it back severely every fall for the winter months. The pods were a nice deep red and looked much like a little apple, but boy they could really set your mouth on fire and you had to watch that none of the juice that would spray out of the pods didn't hit you in the eyes.

wildseed57 said:
Hey Hey , almost missed your glog, the past week we had 5 inches of rain and 30 and 40F temps here in Missouri, my season is all done what a crappy season we had. I got a late start and was hit with blight, nematodes, and a damn mole that found his way in to my raised beds. As my soil is very depleted and full of nematodes I plan to do some grafting for my tomatoes and eggplants and plant all my peppers in containers.
So Now I'm in the waiting mode, I got some more seeds of C. tovarii and am hoping for good luck getting them to grow for me I'm looking to find C. flexuosum and C. lanceolatum  they not only seem to be the hardest to grow, but also hard to find I'll be putting the word out soon that I'm looking to buy or trade for seeds.
As I have not dropped by for some time I need to go back and do some reading to find out how you are doing, I hope you get some rain soon, our West Coast here has been bone dry for some time now and despite the rains they are getting now there wells are still in bad shape and the effects of their drought is really starting to show in the cost of our produce in the markets. It seems the every state here in the US is hurting some way, the only good thing is Gas prices are down.
Well hope you are doing well.

George.

wildseed57 said:
Well I went back and got caught up on all the back post, I really like the flavor of Rocoto's myself they can be a little hard at times to get them to set pods especially during hot months where Temps go over 80F. for me that means late spring and fall for pod set, I have looked for a long time for a rocoto that would set pods even on the really hot days and nights, so far I have not found any.
They do take near freezing weather if given some protection and I had one plant that was producing pods into December that I had a cover over which gave just enough protection at least till the ground froze.
I got my first Rocoto seeds from a guy that had a site called rocoto.com  He had a big plant that was several years old and He would cut it back severely every fall for the winter months. The pods were a nice deep red and looked much like a little apple, but boy they could really set your mouth on fire and you had to watch that none of the juice that would spray out of the pods didn't hit you in the eyes.
Hey Buddy - long time no see! All well here and I take it all is well with you too? Good to see you up and about after your hectic stints in and out of hospital :) Sorry to hear about the grow issues that you experienced this season. Maybe you could do some mulching and let the soil grow over for the fall and winter? Rocotos are fab in my mind. I grew them the first time last season and was immediately taken by the uniqueness of the plant and the all round brilliance of the fruit. They also do exceptionally well here through winter. We also get light frost here, so they pull through with ease. I must say I have struggled with the ones I have cut back severely but the larger plants have breeezed through - no worries. Talking of which, I am getting really early harvests on my Guatamalan Red Rocotos this season. They are already changing colour. So pictures in due course!

We had two good soaks about two days ago now. Problem here in africa is that you get things in extremes. So one minute drought, then rains. Huge lightning storms with heavy winds and hail and massive downpours... nothing like a gentle long soaking rain lol But, I am glad it rained! I have bought myself a massive plastic sheet, so I can cover the babies up - just incase things get too wet.

I am going on holiday to our East coast for two weeks soon. So I am trying to get the irrigation and timer rigged up for all the plants. The farm is still not ready to take the plants. I have not managed to set up irrigation there yet. I have to lay about 100m of 40mm pipe and have to rigg the pump up to a timer. Which there just isn't enough time to do before I go away. So I will do this as soon as I get back. In the mean time I will set up the plants in Joburg so they get watered when I am away and making sure they are all in their big trays before I do.

It's been crazy hot here. Temps in the high 30's, which for us here in Joburg is extreme. The sun is also unbearably strong - you go out for 10 mins and get burnt. Temps at the farm have been 40 - 45ºC. It has been extreme. I am glad I am not there at the moment working in the garden... a very humid heat as well. You sweat buckets.

Anyway, this is me for now. Keep well my friend. I will uplaod some pics in due course ;)

I have started transplanting many of the seedlings into 6 cell trays. I am playing around with a new potting mix this season and it seems to be doing really well. So I will get some pics up

Things are progressing slowly but well. This will be the resting place for the plants for the next 3 weeks. I need to set up garden irrigation to take care of these while I am gone.

IMG_0707.jpg

Some have already been put into 2 litre bags and are doing very well.

IMG_0708.jpg

This plant I chose as it has my youngest's name in it Ruby Teardrops. I also have plants with my eldest's name - Scarlet Lanterns :)

Ramon - wherever you are buddy... thank you again. Dem JA Habas brotha is lookin bhutiful!

IMG_0709.jpg

This year the overwintered Guatamalan Red Rocotos are changing colour super early. Seeing these tage forever to change colour that is great news for me... I can't wait to try these again :)

IMG_0710.jpg

This overwintered Cabe Merah is only notching into top gear now... still a way to go, but what a lot I got already. This plant will produce loads come later in the year. These also have a tendency to have several flushes in our season... so I am already seeing a mountain of chillies here!

IMG_0712.jpg

I love the pods on these Cabe's too... and what an awesomely versatile chile. Makes a cracking powder. I ahve grown these now for 5 years I think and never been disappointed. They also do not seem to cross polinate easily - which is a bonus of course.

IMG_0713.jpg

This year I think I will leave these to dry on the plants. Actually much easier getting the seeds out when dry on these.

Pasila Bajio and Holy Moly on the go from last season. A little more curvy than I remember from last season, but these will go into my pantry once dried.

IMG_0714.jpg

Nice looking Guajillo. I already did my first taste test vid on these... amazing flavour. These are already destined for chilli powder.

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

I love the colour on these Nagas... they glow at dusk like little ghosts... maybe this is why they are called ghost peppers.

IMG_0719.jpg

Monster 7Pot Burgundy on the go. Love the pheno on this fella right here.

First pods on my Purple Jalapeño is looking kinda odd... hope they get bigget than this. Really loved the flavour of these last season!

IMG_0720.jpg

That's it for now folks!

Nice to see pics of the plants and pods, the weather here has been odd to say the least, this week we are in the 50 & 60F, usually it tops out in the lower 40F mark at best will have storms headed our way but still no snow its just to warm. doubt we will get snow by Christmas, well we will see.
I'm trying to get some C. flexuosum and seeds of C. lanceolatum I'm still looking for a cultivated African eggplant that has edible leaves and small edible fruit I think the name of it is "Gbogname" or "Gboma" also known as Aubergine de Ferke I have looked about a dozen seed companies, I'll find it some where. One other one is the Uganda Pea Solanum anguivi which is even harder to find. 
Maybe B&T world seed might have them although they use the Euro note on the cost of seeds. How's your Postal service is it getting better or is it still working off and on?

George

az1000 said:
Very nice. Nice to see these plants and pods when here in Romania is winter
Welcome buddy - I am glad they are bringing some sunshine to your wintry world!
wildseed57 said:
Nice to see pics of the plants and pods, the weather here has been odd to say the least, this week we are in the 50 & 60F, usually it tops out in the lower 40F mark at best will have storms headed our way but still no snow its just to warm. doubt we will get snow by Christmas, well we will see.
I'm trying to get some C. flexuosum and seeds of C. lanceolatum I'm still looking for a cultivated African eggplant that has edible leaves and small edible fruit I think the name of it is "Gbogname" or "Gboma" also known as Aubergine de Ferke I have looked about a dozen seed companies, I'll find it some where. One other one is the Uganda Pea Solanum anguivi which is even harder to find. 
Maybe B&T world seed might have them although they use the Euro note on the cost of seeds. How's your Postal service is it getting better or is it still working off and on?

George
Hey George buddy! I think I have C Lanceolatum. I will have to check for you. As for the other stuff PM me and I will give you a lead here in South Africa who may be able to help you ;)

Sure thing I have some C. lanceolatum seeds on the way, I'll PM you which is what I should have done in the first place.
Boy I'm glad that my day is almost over, I had a crappy Day at the VA hospital. I grew some purple jalapeno's that looked a lot like that one, I didn't like the taste as it reminded me of a ornamental type pepper flavor wise, and it had fairly thin flesh compared to a regular jalapeno, but I got spoiled growing the jumbo variety that has thick flesh. what type are the long green thin ones they remind me of Pusa jwala. 

Back