• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South African

Welcome to PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South Africa

If you would like to see the 2012/2013 Grow, you can see it Here

First a little info about our country:

South Africa is situated at the very southern tip of the African continent. Our country ranges a divers spectrum of cultures and religions and of course habitats. Our country is flanked by the Atlantic on the SW coast line and the Indian Ocean on the NE coast line. Our diverse habitats range from tropical to sub saharan and even desert up north. One thing is for sure, the high summer temperatures and generally mild winter temperatures mean that our country does offer a great opportunity to grow chillies (among other things). To those who are not familiar with our country, Africa probably conjurs up images of harsh barren landscapes with dry baked un-fertile soil and wild animals roaming all over the place. South Africa is probably one of the most established african countries with a large farming sector and loads of fertile soil.

The locality of where this grow will take place is largely situated inland near Pretoria. Altitude here is about 4000ft above sea level. We are talking mild winters with some frost early mornings (temperatures drop at night due to altitude). Daytime temps in winter are round about 21ºC and night time temps can drop as low as -4ºC on a very cold night. There is no rain on the "Highveldt" as we call it in winter. As a rule of thumb all months of the year without an "R" do not have rain. These are our dry months, which go from May till August. Our summer is also our rainy season. This goes from September till April. Temperatures in Pretoria in Summer vary 30ºC - 40ºC daytime to a low of 17ºC on average at night. While there is often long dry spells without rain, rains usually accumulate as huge thunderstorms that bring flash floods, hail and sever lightning.

The farm has a borehole which provides water for the garden. Although at present there is no irrigation system. One of my projects for this year.

Animal wise, we have loads of insects, snakes, scorpions, spiders, primates (Baboons and Vervet Monkeys) as well as Carnivores such as Jackals, Rooicats (mountain lion) and other smaller wild cats. But as far as chillies go, the monkeys and baboons are the biggest problem as they do eat the milder chillies and destroy plants while foraging. There are no traps big enough for monkeys and generally they are very clever to get around most deterrents, so full enclosure with shade netting is the best way.

Other than this, I would say that while there has been much bad publicity about the country in the press, our country is a beautiful country with diversity everywhere, the land, the people, the cultures and the religions. Hence our country is called the rainbow nation. Most famous person is probably Nelson Mandella who established our new democracy in the New South Africa after the apartheit era. Our country is a young democracy in the making - but most of all, our country is a diverse and beautiful country with much to offer and of course home of the Big 5, Blue Whale and Great White Shark... and much much more. Just a quick and very narrow snapshot of what our wonderful country is about!

Last years experience has given me a better understanding of growing at the farm and these are the pitfalls from my exercise last year.

Generally last year was a great season. Great weather - hot and dry. Lots of mistakes made, but things that will not be repeated. Last year we had about 78 different varieties of chillies. We had an estimated 1000 plants in the soil. Last season was our first season growing in the soil and based on previous experiences with growing in pots... I will say adieu to pots and hello soil.

1) Watering. As mentioned there is no irrigation. Water is available a plenty, but regular watering in these hot climates is a must. So for me, I will be looking closely at getting some sort of a watering system up and running. Added problem is that the farm is located about 1 hour from where I live, so watering every day during the week was reliant on staff at the farm watering ever second day during the week. Staffing issues resulted in the loss of quite a few plants due to non watering. So irrigation and a computer will be priority.

2) Season. Last year we started planting seedlings late October/Early November. This year we aim to be in the soil early October. Germination started earlier this season beginning July. I have also acquired a green house which I will use for the seedlings.

3) Planting. Last year planting got into a big muddle. This year I will be more methodical. Also, we planted too close. We found that this becomes a problem when harvesting. We did not feel that last years approach of planting two seedlings together being a problem. We did not notice any significant lower yield with plants that had been planted together as opposed to individually. And found that the cohabitation of plants together (in pairs) actually helped in areas where seedlings were exposed to direct sun. In fact, cohabitation resulted in better growth and larger plants.

4) Spacing. Last year we planted seedlings approx 45cm apart. We would like to extend this to 60cm as we found 45cm to be too dense. We were happy with using channels and rows which helped retain water for approx two - three days between watering and helped channel any run off out of the field. Also, there was no pooling or puddling which was better I think.

5) Insects/monkeys/Snails. Mostly cutworm issues with small seedlings. We will tackle this by using (Stickman's stick method) and through pellets - if need be. Pepper maggots: We suffered quite extensively with Pepper Maggots. We will implement sacrificial boundary plants, fly tapes and beer traps (not for me but the wasps). Monkeys: Plant inside enclosures only. We will be looking at extending the current shade net enclosure, but will need to raise funding for this. Giant African Land Snail: Amazing buggers these. We found lots but only a few that had dug into the plants root system to suck the minerals from plant roots. Not much of a threat as these were just removed by hand, but the enclosure goes a long way to preventing them from getting in.

6) Weeds. Last year we had a problem with weeds. Weeds were time consuming at the start of the season and probably brought about by the application of horse manure. We will try and look at applying some kind of ground cover to reduce weeds, but this will be advised at a later stage.

7) Planting. Last year we took young seedlings and planted them in a nursery. Once big enough we transplanted them densely in the inside enclosed garden (which has 40% shade cloth) and then transplanted the young plants to the open fields once about 15 - 20cm in size. We would like to cut out all the extra work and transplanting, which we found to just delay growth. Every time you transplant, the plant growth is set back... so we will be planting directly into the plants final destination. This means we will be waiting for the pants to get to 15-20cm in size before planting in the soil. Last season we planted seedlings in the soil when they were very small and this also resulted in losses through cutworm.

8) Fertilizers. Nothing hectic. The soil at the farm is incredibly rich and fertile soil. But we found last year that Seaweed and Fish fertilizers to be brilliant and totally harmless. So we will definitely be sticking with this recipe. Out of time constraint, last season, pellets were applied to the surface as opposed to mixing the pellets into the soil around the base of the plant, so this season we will try and do this properly. We alo will pay particular attention to maintaining the mounds around the root base and regularly loosening the soil. With our flash floods and heavy downpours the mounds do flatten and the soil becomes compacted. This results in roots being exposed, water running off the soil as opposed to into the soil and ultimately impacting on the plants optimal growth.

9) Support. Last year we added support as the plants became bigger. Not knowing how big some of the plants would get. We have a better idea this year and will be implementing supports at the beginning. We have two types of bamboo on the farm and will be using the harder thinner bamboo as this does not disturb the roots as much.

10) Drink. More beer. Last year we did not have nearly enough beer to get us through the backbreaking work... so there will have to be more beer for sure :) Just one more thing on that, Nature is an amazing process. Trust in nature. Everything has its place and jumping to intervene (which we always want to do) is sometimes the worst thing that we can do. Plants are very forgiving once established and a lot more resilient than we give them credit for. So chill. Have a beer when the nerves are frayed and you want to reach for the napalm. Nature is amazing most of the time and things in nature have survived a million times over. For aphids there are ladybirds. For insects there are the birds... if you napalm the aphids, the ladybirds will go... just chill and have a beer :) This is my theory and I am sticking to it lol

Ok, lots on the cards this year. plenty to do and arrange and it will be kicking off shortly. The plants from last year are still in the garden and field. I only over wintered the special plants. Of these there are 100 mature plants that I rescued from the winter frost. The other 900 plants are still in the soil. It looks like armageddon in the fields. Some plants have been taken by the frost for sure, but others are showing signs of life. I plan to go this week to weed out the dead plants from the survivors and prune dead wood. I am planning to rearrange things somewhat, so once I have established the survivors, I will be transplanting those plants to get order back into the fields. This will allow me to get the vacant land ready for new plants.

As mentioned germination is well under way. Propagator has been fired up now for month and a bit and seedlings are coming along just great. First week of October will be my D-Day for planting.

Loads of exciting new chillies on the go this season. I had intended to cut down on the number of plants this year... but guess what :D

Grow List 2013/2014

Aji Lemon
Angkor Sunrise
Anheim
Antilaise Caribbean
Avenir
Baby Belle Pimento
Bahamian Goat
Bali Long
Bali Naga
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Cappuccino
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia X Habanero Giant White
Big Jim
Bile Bile (Zimbabwean PeriPeri)
Biquinho
Bishops Crown
Black Pearl
Blondie
Bonda Ma Jacques
Boriya Mirch
Cabe Merah
Calapeño Thunder
California Wonder Golden
Calypso
CARDI Red
Carolina Reaper
Cayenne
Joe's Long Cayenne
Cherry Sweet
Cherry Bomb
Cheyenne
Cheyenne X Thai
Condom (Aji Verde)
Datil
Devil's Tongue Brown
Devil's Tongue White
Ecuadorian Sweet
Explosive Embers
Facing Heaven
Fatalii Red
Fatalii White
Fatalii Yellow
Fidalga Roxa
Fish Pepper
Goronong Cili
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Champagne
Habanero Gambia
Habanero Golden
Habanero Paper Lantern
Habanero Peach Long
Habanero Red
Habanero Large White
Habanero White Jellybean
Hong Kong
Hot Pixies
Hungarian Hot Wax
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Hungarian White Apple
Ignite
Jalapeño
Jalapeño El Jefe
Jamaican Gold
Jawala
Long Thai
Madballz7
Makulu Peri
Malaguetta
Manzano Orange
Mata Frade
Morango
Naga King Jolokia
Naga Morich (European)
Naga Morich (Indian)
Naga Viper
NagaBon
Nagalah
Orange Blob
Pasilla Bajio
Pata Pario
PeriPeri (Mozambique)
PeriPeri (Malawi)
PeriPeri (SA)
Phuli Jiyoti
Pimenta de Neyde
Purple Tiger
Red Savina
Ring of Fire
Rocotillo
Rodo
CARDI Yellow Scorpion
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Peach Long
Serrano
Sikanya
Tabasco
Thai Dragon
Thaibo
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrakpore
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah X Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad 7 Pot Brainstrain
Trinidad 7 Pot Burgundy
Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah
Trinidad 7 Pot Red
Trinidad 7 Pot White
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion Long Tail
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow FG
Tuscan Frgitello (Pepperoncini)

122 different types - I hope that will be it :D

Thank you to Stickman for the seeds. Thank you to Conor for his seeds and thank you to Meatfreak for the amazing selection he sent. I am still hoping that Walkgood's package will arrive - so thanks for those in advance my friend!

WalkGood said:
Lourens great job on da jerky beef biltong, love how you added heat to da mix, starting to drool here thinking about it, mmmm ... Also way to take care of dem 3 sexy ladies, they will do you right if they popped dat easy. On the no shows don’t let it bother you, I’ve had similar issues … Hab a great week mon!
Ramon, I have never been able to grow a white chilli... if I do get one white chilli this season I will be ecstatic!
Spicegeist said:

Hm, I'm a very simple grower, but from what I understand nitrogen helps in leafing out.  I'd probably just experiment with shade vs. light and so on... sorry I can't be of more help, good luck!
Thank you Charles... I will give some Nitrogen ferts a try - good idea - thank you!
Devv said:
Nice update Lourens!

I see a lot of healthy color in those plants.

The soil looks fantastic too! I've used horse manure for the last few years, and yes mas weeds. I did get some heat out of a pile a while back when I added leaves for fuel, that batch got hot!

The meat looks great too! I love curing meats, I always make too much and give most of it away. I had a guy give me some tips who owns a few meat markets. If you're interested PM me.

Have a great week!
Hi Scott, There is loads of horse manure on the farm, so its an easy one to use and not half bad... but the weeds are a bit of a bummer! Not overly worried about the weeds at this stage... it will all come right with time!

I will definitely PM you... would be very interested to get more tips on this aspect. Once the kids get into it... its gone lol!

You too - have a great week!

Ok folks!

The Pressure pump for the borehole is sorted. This weekend we started with operation dirt.

A week ago we had our first hectic thunderstorms. It rained buckets and I decided then that I would give the outside field one week for plants to show their true colours. Time was up and I spent some of Sunday ripping out the plants that did not make it through winter. I had decided at the beginning of winter that I would write off the outside plants as they were just Baby Belles and Bishops primarily and that rather than water the outside field, I instructed the staff just to water the inside area. Despite the fact that these plants never had a single drop of water since end of April... a lot of plants have made it - much to my surprise. But my conclusion is that the fact that the soil around the roots was bone dry actually ensured the survival of the fittest as the soil around the roots never froze.

So the outside area need sorting and channels need recreating... but not too bad!

outside.jpg

So this is the ones that did not make it outside. Inside, the success rate was not as good - despite the watering through winter, so I made the decision to rip out all plants a few weeks back.

IMG_3801.jpg

As mentioned we had our first rains a week or so ago, so hectic thunderstorms that signal the beginning of summer. In some areas tennis ball sized hail storms. We had hail on the farm also, which took its tole on the outside plants...

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

These plants are absolute warriors - made it through winter without water for 5 months... and then blasted by hail stones. Those pods will be made of steel I reckon!

The inside area faired worse structurally... the weight of the hail collected in the netting has caused some serious damage to the shade netting structure. There needs to be straightening of metal and welding and new cables... what a mess!

inside.jpg

Sawyer said:
A few more mild winters and you'll have some monster outside plants.
Hi John, we are blessed with mild winters here and when frost does come it is mild... but once in a blue moon, we do get black frost!

The good news is though... the soil rocks! We are situated right on the banks of a river, where the soil is awesome. It is dark and full of richness. When dry it does get clumpy and hard, and is generally difficult to saturate, but once water has soaked through the surface soil, it retains moisture really well.
 Lots of earth worms in this soil too - gotta love them worms!

IMG_3768.jpg

So most of sunday was spent laying out the rows, loosening the soil and creating the mounds and getting them overwintered plants in the soil.

IMG_3767.jpg

I wanted to make sure that the mounds would be larger rather than too small this year. Last year they were much smaller and I felt roots were inhibited as a result of this. So this season we have gone large. Channels have been dug deep. Soil has been mounded up about 60cm and 60cm in width. So those plants will be growing in a great mound of luscious loose soil.

I have then flattened the tops of the mounds and staggered planting some 45 - 60cm between plants with a 80cm walk way between rows. Nice and spacious!

First things first, get those jackets off the overwintered plants. Last season I overwintered the plants in the garden soil which can get really hard... this was evident from seeing the root bowls. The soil in the plant packets was rock hard. So lesson learnt... next time I will add potting soil! In any case, I had to obviously loosen the roots somewhat.

IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3782.jpg

Now this si the magic part... Seamongus... seaweed and fish extract pellets. Love this stuff. This stuff rocks and I would eat it myself if only it didn't tasty so bad lol

IMG_3778.jpg

Get it in that hole before you get the plants in there... they will love you for it. This stuff is like rocket fuel - and a few pellets around the roots will make up for messing with the roots. In my mind a vital step in planting, get the ferts at the tip of the roots.

IMG_3794.jpg

Then I tuck the plant in and sprinkle a few more pellets around the base of the plants stem and create a little mote around the stem.

So at the end of day one, the garden looks like this....

inside2.jpg

Loads of overwintered plants still to go in the soil and half of the garden still needs preparing. The lower section of this garden that can bee seen with the spinach in it still needs preparing. I will be going out to the farm today to carry on.

I have also tried to give a little bit of forethought to the planting order. Hot with hot, so I do not get any crosses with mild chillies or at least I reduce the chances as best as I can.

I have also taken a full stock on what large and small plants I have. I am just planting the overwintered (large) plants now... but knowing how many seedlings still need to be planted and how many of each I have, I am leaving spaces for the seedlings to be planted later on. I am also thinking that I will plant the seedlings in-between the mature plants so the larger plants will provide some shelter and shade to the smaller seedlings later on :)

The sequence is always based on genus > hybrid > genus... so planting sequence is ie TS Moruga > TS Moruga x 7P Jonah > 7P Jonah > TS ButchT x 7P Jonah > TS ButchT and so on... It kind of makes sense to me.

First pods on the block... the Facing Heaven. Followed by Ecuadorian Sweet and Scotch Bonnet. Everything else is flowering at this moment in time... it will be an interesting season!

You're definitely off to a flying start Lourens! Bummer about the damage to the shade netting and structure after the hailstorm, but it sounds like you'll get it sorted in short order. Y'know, as well as your soil holds moisture, you probably don't need to do any watering when you OW your plants outside. Mother nature will provide, eh?
   It does my heart good to see you planting outside again... everything looks fantastic! I suspect it's gonna take another weekend or two to get all your chiles in at the plantation. Good on ya mate!

stickman said:
You're definitely off to a flying start Lourens! Bummer about the damage to the shade netting and structure after the hailstorm, but it sounds like you'll get it sorted in short order. Y'know, as well as your soil holds moisture, you probably don't need to do any watering when you OW your plants outside. Mother nature will provide, eh?
   It does my heart good to see you planting outside again... everything looks fantastic! I suspect it's gonna take another weekend or two to get all your chiles in at the plantation. Good on ya mate!
Hey Stickman, Thanks my friend. The seedlings that are still back hoem seem to be taking foreeeeevvvvvvvvveeeeeerrrr to get to the right size. I will definitely be using your stick method for the cutworm. Already spotted a few in the soil while turning over the beds. Going to take a few weekends for sure and that is just for the seedlings that are big enough to go in... loads more on the back burner! It's going to be a busy season!

Hey Lourens, looks like you have a handle on things, your garden area looks great.
Hail can be a bummer at times usually all the times you might get it, a few years back I was hardening off my seedlings and had to make a trip to the next town over any way a storm moved through and we had two inches of hail come down and every plant I had set out was nothing more than a little green stick sicking out of a cup still filled with ice, most came back and leafed out, but the others just fell over and died.
Yeah planting hots with hots and sweets with sweets will cut down on surprises later, nothing like picking a sweet pepper and finding out that it had crossed with a hot pepper the year before. Some like a Marconi or Italian Bull horn would make a tasty mildly hot pepper, but not so great if your kids grab one up expecting a sweet pepper and get a surprise when their mouths start burning.
Your soil looks very rich and the seaweed pellets will help out a lot by adding nitrates and minerals, horse manure is very good also. When I lived in the big city I use to get Zoo poop for the garden the best stuff came from the Hippo, Rhino and Elephant housing I would by it in the fall and mix it into the garden soil so that by spring it would be ready, but now I live to far away to haul it and it would cost me more than what its wourth, but I get plenty of cow manure when I want it.

Lourens,

Looking good, I know how much work it takes to prepare the garden in the spring. Around here it's a 2 stage job, spring get ready, fall work the soil for the next year. I'm not blessed with the beautiful soil you have to work with, so I'm making my own ;)

Hail just sucks, sorry it damaged the screening. We get hail here every now and then, lucky for us it's never been real damaging.

Good luck this season! It sure looks like you're off to a good start!

wildseed57 said:
Hey Lourens, looks like you have a handle on things, your garden area looks great.
Hail can be a bummer at times usually all the times you might get it, a few years back I was hardening off my seedlings and had to make a trip to the next town over any way a storm moved through and we had two inches of hail come down and every plant I had set out was nothing more than a little green stick sicking out of a cup still filled with ice, most came back and leafed out, but the others just fell over and died.
Yeah planting hots with hots and sweets with sweets will cut down on surprises later, nothing like picking a sweet pepper and finding out that it had crossed with a hot pepper the year before. Some like a Marconi or Italian Bull horn would make a tasty mildly hot pepper, but not so great if your kids grab one up expecting a sweet pepper and get a surprise when their mouths start burning.
Your soil looks very rich and the seaweed pellets will help out a lot by adding nitrates and minerals, horse manure is very good also. When I lived in the big city I use to get Zoo poop for the garden the best stuff came from the Hippo, Rhino and Elephant housing I would by it in the fall and mix it into the garden soil so that by spring it would be ready, but now I live to far away to haul it and it would cost me more than what its wourth, but I get plenty of cow manure when I want it.
Hey George, thank you! The shade netting has so many functions - keep out the sun (to a certain degree), keep out the monkeys and protect the plants from the elements. Besides this, it is also great for keeping out the giant land snails! We will get it fixed again. One thing a farm is great for is bits of metal, wire and a welder - those things are always kicking about. I am looking forward to whatever surprises as far as hybrids go this season. Last year I saw a Champagne Habanero and Calapeño Thunder... who knows what this year! The farm is an old horse farm that does still get rented out for stabling... so before I came along this spring, the owner did lay down a layer of horse manure. There are also Geese on the farm, so I will be looking at going into their enclosure to get some of that guano! Unfortunately for the Geese, a Black-back Jackal has acquired a taste for Goose... so while there used to be 14, there is now only 5. Dung from the zoo... now how can I lure them elephants to come crap on my patch? I sure as hell ain't running after one with a spade lol
Devv said:
Lourens,

Looking good, I know how much work it takes to prepare the garden in the spring. Around here it's a 2 stage job, spring get ready, fall work the soil for the next year. I'm not blessed with the beautiful soil you have to work with, so I'm making my own ;)

Hail just sucks, sorry it damaged the screening. We get hail here every now and then, lucky for us it's never been real damaging.

Good luck this season! It sure looks like you're off to a good start!
Hi Scott - thank you! Yes, I have to say I am very lucky that the soil is good. I know there are many chilliheads on this forum who are growing in difficult conditions and soil. Temperatures have been going up and up in the last few days... I am sure we are in for some hectic storms... I will try and capture one if I get a chance. It's quite a spectacle! Thank you - I am off again this morning to plant some more!

Yesterday saw difficulties of a technical nature with the irrigation urghhh!

So the pressure pump is now hooked up and delivering up to 8 bar at the tap. Enough to hook up quite a few sprinklers. Water is supplied by a 40mm pipe to the garden and then goes down to a 20mm pipe. I have a Gardena Watering computer that then splits into 4 lines. The sprinklers are static 360º sprinklers that have a watering diameter of some 5,6m. So all smiles there - it suits what I require. But the problem has been sediment. The pressure pump has stirred up sediment in the system and this is getting caught by the Watering Computer - creating a blockage. So I have been running around today trying to get an inline filter. Any problems here in Africa are bigger problems as we just dont have the choice and selection (or speciality stores/shops) that you guys have overseas. Anyway, short of spending $80 on a big filter unit, I have purchase three smaller units that I will run in sequence... so I hope this will do the trick!

So this is how things are looking at the mo...

IMG_3806.jpg

Another note for myself... this is why I do not use Jiffy pellets! This is a plant that has been in the soil 2 seasons now.

IMG_3802.jpg

And a quick post on the nemesis - or at least one of them. This is a Cutworm for those that have never seen one. Its not a worm per say but a caterpillar that lives in the soil and comes out at night. It gets its name from the fact that it comes out of the ground at night and "cuts" down seedlings, feeding off the juices/sap that come out of the stem. They actually feed on very little of the predated plant and proceed to move on to other seedlings leaving a whole row of seedlings in the wake that have been cut down at the base of the stem. This is such a wasteful feeder and one that is a major nemesis to most gardeners. Generally they predate on seedlings with soft stems and do not generally attack seedlings that have already thickened stems.

IMG_3805.jpg

PeriPeri said:
Yesterday saw difficulties of a technical nature with the irrigation urghhh!

So the pressure pump is now hooked up and delivering up to 8 bar at the tap. Enough to hook up quite a few sprinklers. Water is supplied by a 40mm pipe to the garden and then goes down to a 20mm pipe. I have a Gardena Watering computer that then splits into 4 lines. The sprinklers are static 360º sprinklers that have a watering diameter of some 5,6m. So all smiles there - it suits what I require. But the problem has been sediment. The pressure pump has stirred up sediment in the system and this is getting caught by the Watering Computer - creating a blockage. So I have been running around today trying to get an inline filter. Any problems here in Africa are bigger problems as we just dont have the choice and selection (or speciality stores/shops) that you guys have overseas. Anyway, short of spending $80 on a big filter unit, I have purchase three smaller units that I will run in sequence... so I hope this will do the trick!

And a quick post on the nemesis - or at least one of them. This is a Cutworm for those that have never seen one. Its not a worm per say but a caterpillar that lives in the soil and comes out at night. It gets its name from the fact that it comes out of the ground at night and "cuts" down seedlings, feeding off the juices/sap that come out of the stem. They actually feed on very little of the predated plant and proceed to move on to other seedlings leaving a whole row of seedlings in the wake that have been cut down at the base of the stem. This is such a wasteful feeder and one that is a major nemesis to most gardeners. Generally they predate on seedlings with soft stems and do not generally attack seedlings that have already thickened stems.

IMG_3805.jpg

You'll get the water filter situation sorted Lourens, I have faith! I'm sure it'll be a relief when you finally get the irrigation system dialed in.

Those fish/seaweed pellets look really useful, and far less messy than the emulsions we have here. I'd ask about getting them but our skunks would smell them and dig them up, resulting in damaged roots on my seedlings.

Agreed on the netting used for Jiffy starters... I don't bother to use them for similar reasons... don't want to damage the roots on tender seedlings trying to get them off before up-potting or planting.

Yep, your cutworms look just like mine... before Bonnie (highalt) shared the "bamboo skewer method" of controlling them they were my worst pest in the early season. Aphids, Mites and Asiatic Garden Beetles come on slow enough that you have time to take action before they wipe you out, but when you're only growing one to a few of each variety, they can wipe out several months of effort in one night. Good luck dealing with the little bastards this season!

Lourens I love the before and after shots, whoa night and day … all dat hard work will pay off big for you in the end. I also love how you did the elevated rows with the extra room, great job brethren!

Would love to try out one of dem steel pods ;)

Hab a great week mon!

So how to get around these? Well first port of call - if you dig one up while working in the garden - kill it! I'm not one to kill things, but these critters are regretfully an absolute pain in the a$$.

Problem with these is they only come out at night and are in the soil during the day... so difficult to detect. There are Cutworm pellets, that are insecticide pellets that attract Cutworm and when they feed on them - tickets. Unfortunately with these critters, poison is the easiest option. This is a cost factor and one does not really want to use poisons ever - so I just want to use this moment to highlight some options that have come to my attention. 1) Plant seedlings as large/mature as is possible - preferably once they have hardened stems. Cutworm generally only go for soft stemmed plants with stems small enough to suit their mandibles. 2) (Thanks to Stickman for this one :)) Plant a wooden skewer as close to the stem as is possible. This can be a wooden skewer or a chopstick. The ideology here is that the cutworm is fooled into thinking the plant is hardwood and it moves on. This method does seem to work - although it is not totally infallible. 3) Toilet roll - This is another one I read up on - slide a toilet roll over the plant/seedling and press into soil to create a perimeter around the base of the seedling under and over the soil. Not sure how well this will work when watering as watering will probably deteriorate the cardboard. But the toilet roll could be swapped for plastic piping I suppose.

If anyone has any other methods of getting around cutworm... I'd like to know!

Most people reach for the poison/pellets. On a larger scale with hundreds of plants, I am not sure toilet rolls and the likes are feasible. But wooden sticks could work.

stickman said:

You'll get the water filter situation sorted Lourens, I have faith! I'm sure it'll be a relief when you finally get the irrigation system dialed in.

Those fish/seaweed pellets look really useful, and far less messy than the emulsions we have here. I'd ask about getting them but our skunks would smell them and dig them up, resulting in damaged roots on my seedlings.

Agreed on the netting used for Jiffy starters... I don't bother to use them for similar reasons... don't want to damage the roots on tender seedlings trying to get them off before up-potting or planting.

Yep, your cutworms look just like mine... before Bonnie (highalt) shared the "bamboo skewer method" of controlling them they were my worst pest in the early season. Aphids, Mites and Asiatic Garden Beetles come on slow enough that you have time to take action before they wipe you out, but when you're only growing one to a few of each variety, they can wipe out several months of effort in one night. Good luck dealing with the little bastards this season!
Hey Rick! Man... skunks dig them up... now that I dont have this side. Although our Giant Land Snails would probably do the same!

If I had not found several plants with a similar root bound situation as a direct result of the Jiffy pellets - I would have no issues... but I do and it does seem to be an issue. I can not say though whether this was just a batch issue... but I have read other posts elsewhere with a similar problem.

Yea... that is the rub - you grow these chillies for several months and in one night they are gone. I would half bear it if it wasn't for the absolute insult that the seedling is just cut and not even eaten up!

And thanks again for the stick tip... I saved many plants and my wallet on that one!
WalkGood said:
Lourens I love the before and after shots, whoa night and day … all dat hard work will pay off big for you in the end. I also love how you did the elevated rows with the extra room, great job brethren!

Would love to try out one of dem steel pods ;)

Hab a great week mon!
Ramon! Thanks man... by back feels like jelly, but I think it is all worth it! I am hoping those roots will grow broad and deep... going to drive to the farm again just now. Its about 35oC out there right now... so waiting for the cooler afternoon temps. But I have my filters for the irrigation and keen to get this sorted.

PeriPeri said:
So how to get around these? Well first port of call - if you dig one up while working in the garden - kill it! I'm not one to kill things, but these critters are regretfully an absolute pain in the a$$.

Problem with these is they only come out at night and are in the soil during the day... so difficult to detect. There are Cutworm pellets, that are insecticide pellets that attract Cutworm and when they feed on them - tickets. Unfortunately with these critters, poison is the easiest option. This is a cost factor and one does not really want to use poisons ever - so I just want to use this moment to highlight some options that have come to my attention. 1) Plant seedlings as large/mature as is possible - preferably once they have hardened stems. Cutworm generally only go for soft stemmed plants with stems small enough to suit their mandibles. 2) (Thanks to Stickman for this one :)) Plant a wooden skewer as close to the stem as is possible. This can be a wooden skewer or a chopstick. The ideology here is that the cutworm is fooled into thinking the plant is hardwood and it moves on. This method does seem to work - although it is not totally infallible. 3) Toilet roll - This is another one I read up on - slide a toilet roll over the plant/seedling and press into soil to create a perimeter around the base of the seedling under and over the soil. Not sure how well this will work when watering as watering will probably deteriorate the cardboard. But the toilet roll could be swapped for plastic piping I suppose.

If anyone has any other methods of getting around cutworm... I'd like to know!

Most people reach for the poison/pellets. On a larger scale with hundreds of plants, I am not sure toilet rolls and the likes are feasible. But wooden sticks could work.

Hey Rick! Man... skunks dig them up... now that I dont have this side. Although our Giant Land Snails would probably do the same!

Yea... that is the rub - you grow these chillies for several months and in one night they are gone. I would half bear it if it wasn't for the absolute insult that the seedling is just cut and not even eaten up!

And thanks again for the stick tip... I saved many plants and my wallet on that one!
Cheers Lourens... just remember, place the stick/skewer/chopstick so it's in close contact with the plant stem for about the bottom 10 cm. Any gaps are not ideal. As long as I did that I had 100% effect.

Good looking watering system, Lourens.  I remember last year you had some concerns about securing such equipment from thievery.  How have you addressed that issue?  Is the sediment coming from the well itself or is it just being dislodged from the piping by the higher pressures?  If it's the former, you might be spending a lot of time changing filters.  I've seen systems that use one pump to pump water into a settling tank, then a second pump to provide pressure to the irrigation system.  But that adds complexity and expense.  I have problems with mineralization, so drip-irrigation systems tend to clog over time.

I've only given passing consideration to the germination pellets, but seeing that plant, I definitely won't be using them.  I get good enough germination in flats with a peat-based mix.

I've used the toilet roll technique successfully in the past.  It only takes about a 5 cm long piece to work.  It's actually good that the cardboard deteriorates; the plants should be strong enough to resist the worms by the time that happens.  However, while I've had near 100% success in protecting against cutworms, this past year I had a different problem.  I planted out later than usual, so the midday sun was warmer than usual.  Because some of the seedlings were smaller than usual, the sun created a too-hot environment inside the cardboard collar.  Some of the plants died outright and some never recovered and remained stunted all year.  I think I'll try the stick method this coming year, at least for the smaller seedlings.

I, too, plant on elevated rows, though maybe not quite as elevated as yours, and I leave a little more room between rows.  They work here by keeping the plants from drowning during the usual heavy spring rains.  Then in the dry summer, I block off the row channels (or "middles" as I learned to call them as a kid) and flood them for a deep, soaking watering.  The water soaks down and under the elevated row and encourages the plants to send out deep roots to find the water.  I find this makes for stronger, more drought resistant plants than surface watering nearing the base of the plant.  Folks like DesertChris, and I think Scott, plant in the bottom of the channel because they get so little rain and the soil is so porous, drowning is never an issue.

Lourens,
Very informative update. Overwinters look great as well as the raised beds that your plants are footed in. I like the color of the river loam...black and brown mixed, very rich in organic material.
I don't use jiffy pellets nor peat pots any more they end up being too contricting. Nice display of the netting...certainly not biodegradable.
Cutworms and slugs can be a pain. Stem collars work well for the worms...although the slugs don't bother too much with the young seedlings, they can like to munch on the leaves of a thriving plant. There are products that stop both that can be used with edibles.
Like the looks of the gardena...and the fish pellets...Rick's right, you're off to a flying start.
Looking forward to future updates, my start for next year is only a dream away.

stickman said:
Cheers Lourens... just remember, place the stick/skewer/chopstick so it's in close contact with the plant stem for about the bottom 10 cm. Any gaps are not ideal. As long as I did that I had 100% effect.
Thank you Stickman - this is true!
Sawyer said:
Good looking watering system, Lourens.  I remember last year you had some concerns about securing such equipment from thievery.  How have you addressed that issue?  Is the sediment coming from the well itself or is it just being dislodged from the piping by the higher pressures?  If it's the former, you might be spending a lot of time changing filters.  I've seen systems that use one pump to pump water into a settling tank, then a second pump to provide pressure to the irrigation system.  But that adds complexity and expense.  I have problems with mineralization, so drip-irrigation systems tend to clog over time.

I've only given passing consideration to the germination pellets, but seeing that plant, I definitely won't be using them.  I get good enough germination in flats with a peat-based mix.

I've used the toilet roll technique successfully in the past.  It only takes about a 5 cm long piece to work.  It's actually good that the cardboard deteriorates; the plants should be strong enough to resist the worms by the time that happens.  However, while I've had near 100% success in protecting against cutworms, this past year I had a different problem.  I planted out later than usual, so the midday sun was warmer than usual.  Because some of the seedlings were smaller than usual, the sun created a too-hot environment inside the cardboard collar.  Some of the plants died outright and some never recovered and remained stunted all year.  I think I'll try the stick method this coming year, at least for the smaller seedlings.

I, too, plant on elevated rows, though maybe not quite as elevated as yours, and I leave a little more room between rows.  They work here by keeping the plants from drowning during the usual heavy spring rains.  Then in the dry summer, I block off the row channels (or "middles" as I learned to call them as a kid) and flood them for a deep, soaking watering.  The water soaks down and under the elevated row and encourages the plants to send out deep roots to find the water.  I find this makes for stronger, more drought resistant plants than surface watering nearing the base of the plant.  Folks like DesertChris, and I think Scott, plant in the bottom of the channel because they get so little rain and the soil is so porous, drowning is never an issue.
These are all very interesting tips! Thank you for your feedback - love the added info about the toilet roll and plants cooking as a result of... I would never have thought of this. And the blocking off of the walkways. I want those plant roots to tap down deep... so I really value your feedback on this!
Hi Greg, not sure about flying, but I aim to get there. The irrigation will be the trick! The prospect of not having to hassle with water pressure when watering is a real dream for me... but I am very very close to that dream now! I will do my very best to keep those updates coming for your winter!

Hi Lourens,

I have a well here as my water source for everything. It too picks up sand, it's just in the underground water, very, very fine. I pulled the pump up 3 feet 15 years ago, no help. If anyone knows what a brake lathe produces that's what the inside of the toilet tank looked like when we moved here. I filter the house, a course filter, a fine, then the iron filter, next the water softener. And we still see some sand in the "bowl" tanks.

The system Sawyer mentioned is an expensive solution but the best! But I too like you use a filer in front of the timer device....everything is $$$$$

I do use the Jiffy plugs (pellets), I like that they're easy, hold moisture well and I get good germ rates when used with the... ahem..."professional greenhouse". 6 bucks here, not a bad cost for 72 spaces. As soon as the seeds hook I pull the plug and make a cut on the bottom of the material and follow it up to the top and remove it. I then place it in a pot 10mm proud at the top and water using a cattle syringe with a 3" needle that I stick into the bottom until the dampening off period has passed. Then I bottom water until they're ready for dirt. Has worked well for me so far ;)

And yes I plant in ditches for the reasons mentioned above..

Devv said:
Hi Lourens,

I have a well here as my water source for everything. It too picks up sand, it's just in the underground water, very, very fine. I pulled the pump up 3 feet 15 years ago, no help. If anyone knows what a brake lathe produces that's what the inside of the toilet tank looked like when we moved here. I filter the house, a course filter, a fine, then the iron filter, next the water softener. And we still see some sand in the "bowl" tanks.

The system Sawyer mentioned is an expensive solution but the best! But I too like you use a filer in front of the timer device....everything is $$$$$

I do use the Jiffy plugs (pellets), I like that they're easy, hold moisture well and I get good germ rates when used with the... ahem..."professional greenhouse". 6 bucks here, not a bad cost for 72 spaces. As soon as the seeds hook I pull the plug and make a cut on the bottom of the material and follow it up to the top and remove it. I then place it in a pot 10mm proud at the top and water using a cattle syringe with a 3" needle that I stick into the bottom until the dampening off period has passed. Then I bottom water until they're ready for dirt. Has worked well for me so far ;)

And yes I plant in ditches for the reasons mentioned above..
Hi Scott! It's a slippery slope to bankruptcy if one buys all the stuff that will make the water clear me thinkst. Unfortunately I think the pressure pump is what has overturned the apple cart. The borehole is a 60 year old borehole that has produced good water till now - but the pressure pump has kinda disturbed all that silt in the system... we will just have to see what happens. I will try those cheap inline filters and see whether it will work!

Good idea cutting the material around the Jiffy pellets this would get around the problem. My germination rates have been atrocious this year no matter what the method lol

Now that is different... planting in the ditch as opposed to the mound! I totally understand the reason - its a brilliant work around. Here we get such down pours that the seedlings need to be positioned high and dry. Although in winter we do not get a drop for about five months.

You know it may sound like a waste, but around here when they set a new pump they run it for a few hours steady until it cleans up. Don't know if it would help...

But if you have some areas that need flooding perhaps that's a way to put the water to good use, and it may help.

And at this point I don't have any bragging rights on my germ rate, so don't feel that you're all alone in that dept.!

Back