• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

On you grow Mr chillihead !!! I will be putting my seeds in the dirt this Sunday as dictated by the lunar/zodiac cycle ... Meant to be the best time to plant seeds that have produce above ground ... We shall see ... Best of luck with your germ rates bro.

Trippa said:
On you grow Mr chillihead !!! I will be putting my seeds in the dirt this Sunday as dictated by the lunar/zodiac cycle ... Meant to be the best time to plant seeds that have produce above ground ... We shall see ... Best of luck with your germ rates bro.
Hey Trippa. Thank you my friend. My fish tank is full and I am still waiting for the bulk of my seeds from Grant :)
stickman said:
Well yes... but in a good way... ;)  What do you have going Lourens?
Hello Rick, got your seeds in there my friend! Can't wait for those to get going... Do you think I should continue on this glog for 2014 or start a new glog?
chilli whisperer said:
Haha yes Lourens,we,the fine people from thp,want to read ANOTHER long list :D :P
Not sure it will be as big as last year, but there will be many more varieties.

Trippa said:
Start a new glog ... And link to this one and vice versa... That's my opinion
Thanks Trippa, this is what I will do - thanks!
Peptacular said:
Nice glog dude. That salsa looks excellente! And awesome logo there, looks like someone has a knack for marketing.
Thanks for dropping in Peptacular! I am a Designer by profession - so luckily no costs there! lol Although I was my own worst client from hell lol Took me some time to come up with the logo!

I agree... start a new glog and link the old one... it makes it more user-friendly. Looking forward to it Lourens!

WalkGood said:
Lourens I agree with Trip and you, that's the best way IMO. So when do the fireworks begin mi brethren?
I have already begun, but I will have to start the glog soon hey... lol - I need courage lol
stickman said:
I agree... start a new glog and link the old one... it makes it more user-friendly. Looking forward to it Lourens!
Thanks Rick - my apprehension is huge lol

PeriPeri said:
Thanks Rick - my apprehension is huge lol
It's not so bad as all that Lourens... just follow this advice...

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland  :)

stickman said:
It's not so bad as all that Lourens... just follow this advice...

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland  :)
This chilli highway does not seem to have an end my friend! lol Where was the stop sign... I didn't see it lol
chilli whisperer said:
Hey Lourens,u have any idea what a heating mat costs???
Twice as much as half a heating mat.
Four times as much as 1/4 heating mat and half as much as a double :)
Which is anywhere from about R80 - R150

PeriPeri said:
This chilli highway does not seem to have an end my friend! lol Where was the stop sign... I didn't see it lol
That'll happen when we get distracted and our minds aren't "tracking the bunny"... we tend to overshoot... :)

PeriPeri said:
I have already begun, but I will have to start the glog soon hey... lol ...
I hear ya, this is a lot of work and time ... not sure I'm in for next year but if I do it won't move as fast. That said I'd post the occasional picture here there or in your glog ;)

stickman said:
That'll happen when we get distracted and our minds aren't "tracking the bunny"... we tend to overshoot... :)
Bunny huh? I need to eat a couple of Carolina's before I start seeing those :)
WalkGood said:
I hear ya, this is a lot of work and time ... not sure I'm in for next year but if I do it won't move as fast. That said I'd post the occasional picture here there or in your glog ;)
You have more than earned your stripes... I would love to see your glog dedicated to your amazing culinary delights :drooling: :drooling:
chilli whisperer said:
Hey Lourens,I have a great idea! Why don't you make a twitter account for you're website? Would be very interresting /:)
Thank you ChilliWisperer, I do need to look at my options. Social media does consume a huge amount of time and effort though. But I will check things out!

Dude, great shots at the Chile Festival and great stories to go along with it.  Best of luck with the new venture.  The logo is great and the packaging is even better.  "Exceptionally Hot"...love it.  Good luck on the new starts, and even more luck on resurrecting the greenhouse!

Back