• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

Lourens don't think I'm not following the grow here as I haven't posted in a while, love dat operation man and keep dem great pics coming :)

Edit: thanks for the kind words when you popped by my glog ...

Hi WalkGood. Thanks man, I appreciate how time consuming it is to tend to the flock as well as keep a glog updated! Thanks for popping in... I have only just noticed others that have popped in had glogs going... so apologies for only popping into your glog now!

The guys on the farm have installed a DIY sprinkler system. Next year I will definately pre-install a ground watering system... but this year we have had to do with a DIY hit the ground running improvization watering system lol So the guys have installed a garden/lawn sprinkler that is watering outside chillies. It has been soooo hot here temps close to 40ºc every day now and those rain clouds keep coming and just blowing away... so quite dangerous at the moment. I think probably more so for the inside chillies than the outside, as the outside chillies have had it rougher and are much stronger.

I think when the season is over, it would be good to compare inside and outside root bowls... I have a hunch the outside chillies will have a much bigger root system as they have had to fight for water more...

Should be going out there on the weekend. I anticipate big developments... will take pictures when I do!

... I think when the season is over, it would be good to compare inside and outside root bowls...
It's not over till I say it's over hehehehe ... On a more serious note, I was under the impression that Johannesburg enjoys pleasant weather all year round, am I wrong? If so, why say its over, I grow year round and have a few plants over 3 yrs old now.

It's not over till I say it's over hehehehe ... On a more serious note, I was under the impression that Johannesburg enjoys pleasant weather all year round, am I wrong? If so, why say its over, I grow year round and have a few plants over 3 yrs old now.
lol yea... its not over till the Fatalii sings! ...we do. Winter temps average at about 20ºC in Joburg and probably at about 23/24ºC in Pretoria. It does go down quite a bit at night. We are at 4000 ft above sea level, so heat loss at night is severe. lol well, that is to say for us lol... temps can go below freezing -3/-4ºC... and on the very rare occasion we will get black frost. It snows every 10/15 years :) It snowed in Joburg last winter, so should be ok for 10 years at least! I have never tried the superhots... but may be worth a try... especially seeing they will be in Pretoria (warmer)...

Just stopped in to see how you are doin', Lourens.
Good luck battling the heat!

Thanks for the good luck wishes! Woke up this morning to the sound of light rain! Phew! A little respite is good ;)

I look forward to seeing more pictures!
Hey GA Growhead... thanks for popping in! I will be going to the farm again this weekend and will take pictures of everything. I will probably be transplanting the last of the supers out of the nursery... they looked almost large enough to be transferred.

That is good news. I can't wait till I can have plants in the ground again. My grow list has almost doubled since last years, So really looking forward to it. You have a couple of my new varieties. So I'm watching the see how they do for you. It won't be long you'll be swimming and peppers.

That is good news. I can't wait till I can have plants in the ground again. My grow list has almost doubled since last years, So really looking forward to it. You have a couple of my new varieties. So I'm watching the see how they do for you. It won't be long you'll be swimming and peppers.
Hey GA Growhead. It's farm day! Very excited, goign to be heading out soon.

Got more staking to do... I'm sure those Bishops will need support. And need to transplant out of the nursery... and out of the Inside area to the Outside.

What plants are you watching? I can take pics if you like?

It's farm day! Very excited, goign to be heading out soon.

Got more staking to do... I'm sure those Bishops will need support. And need to transplant out of the nursery... and out of the Inside area to the Outside.

Looking forward to seeing more pics! You have an incredible grow going.

Man it was hot out there! Rain has not been forthcoming for a while now on the farm and temps have been 35ºC to 37ºC pretty much every day.

The chillies are actually loving the hotter weather. If anything it is making them grow stronger now.

I did not get around to doing any transplanting unfortunately. I spent most of the time staking more plants. Mostly on the inside.

I tried one of the Tabasco pods and if they are anything to go by... this year is going to be fiery. The Tabasco I tried was incredibly hot! Man, it was about as hot if not hotter than I expected for a Tabasco.

So much going on... everything is eploding with activity. Loads of flowers everywhere and plenty pods. Big Jims are going balistic. Pods are getting larger and larger. Still green and far from ripe... but getting humongous! And not just humongous, but so many pods on one plant... I just can't believe how one little plant can carry so many big pods. Bishops Crowns are rapidly coming on. Baby Belle's, Long Thai's, PeriPeri's, Habanero's, Tabasco's, Cherry Bomb's, California Wnder's, Hot Pixie's, Facing Heaven's, Thaibo's, Thai Dragon's, Pasillo Bajio's, Black Pearl's, Fish Pepper's, Serrano's.... the list is endless. Thaibo's are also going red now. And I spotted my first Super getting a pod!!! The Naga Morich has been the first Super to pod. I could not believe my eyes. And the plant is still quite small as well! Red Hab's, Brown Habs, Fatalii's all showing accellerated growth and podding. As I say, its all happening now.

Someone asked me how many plants I have in the ground. I counted today. 665. Good thing that. But that is counting each bush as one plant. There are many that have been planted double, which probably pushes that number over 1000.

I didn't get to finish everything today. So I will be going back tomorrow morning. I will also take more pics... but I took just a few today - as I know you guys want to see something ;) Pics anon...

The inside area. Good growth... loads of staking for today.
IMG_1524.jpg

Big Jims just going crazy...

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

Here's a question: I have Hot Pixies and Bishop's Crowns growing.... Are they different or one and the same? I get the feeling there is a subtle difference?

And one more: My Tabasco's all have greenish/white pods. Do these still turn red or is the final ripe colour of Tabasco pods this white/light green?

Oh... I have been thinking about the monkey issue. I will be going to a toy shop and buying myself a box of rubber snakes :) This apparently is the equivilent of a scarecrow in a Monkeys dictionary lol... should be fun!

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more pics! You have an incredible grow going.
Thanks DocNrock! Seems like I have left the best for last... all the supers are coming still. I managed to get some really interesting seeds from Junglerain. I have posted some more pics. Will be back at the farm early tomorrow... time for some shut eye!

Whoa Piri, just stopped in to see how you were doing, and had to take a moment to COME UNGLUED, nice pics of the peppers :onfire:
Looks like you will have a big harvest a 1000 plants will make a lot of chili!
Looks like all the hard work will pay off nice for you, I bet that all those pods have put a big grin on your face. :P

Thanks Wildseed57 :D a very big grin! Going to be party time now now lol :party:

I O, I O, its off to the farm I go! Operation tansplant is the agenda for the day!

Plants look amazing. Our commons are some of junglerain's seeds and a few others.
Bishop crowns get huge btw. So be prepared. Not sure about the hot pixies.
That's a ton of plants! Awesome grow!
And tobascos do turn red. I liked them better when red ripe.
Hope your day is productive!

PeriPeri, that is an incredible grow you have. 665 to 1000 plants. Holy $*#t! Your harvest is going to be measured in kilos! Love the shots. Now you get to have ripening coming in waves, and it looks like it has started. I'll be very interested to see how big the Big Jims get. I've got those in my grow this year. Good luck with the transplants today!

PeriPeri, that is an incredible grow you have. 665 to 1000 plants. Holy $*#t! Your harvest is going to be measured in kilos! Love the shots. Now you get to have ripening coming in waves, and it looks like it has started. I'll be very interested to see how big the Big Jims get. I've got those in my grow this year. Good luck with the transplants today!
Thanks DocNrock! Was there again yesterday... but was shattered by the time I cam back home. Sun got me a good one aswell. Burnt to a sinder as they say.

I will probably only get a chance to upload images tonight after work.... but have plenty more pics in store.

Plants look amazing. Our commons are some of junglerain's seeds and a few others.
Bishop crowns get huge btw. So be prepared. Not sure about the hot pixies.
That's a ton of plants! Awesome grow!
And tobascos do turn red. I liked them better when red ripe.
Hope your day is productive!
Thanks GA Growhead, I think you are right. Those Bishops will need load of support... guess I will be chopping more bamboo next weekend. Damn I hate chopping and stripping bamboo lol I did manage to transplant quite a few Habas and Fatalii's to the outside area. I had a bit of a dead spot in my outside area, and have planted them there... but hell it was a hot day. Early morning the heat was way up and there was no clouds... so probably the worst day to have transplanted. But I had to do it... as a lot of the plants were already flowering... not too keen to transplant a plant once it has started flowering.

I will post more pics tonight after work... I was shattered after yesterday!

Peri your grow is amazing. I am so glad you are having great success. :onfire: :onfire:
Hi Sanarda. Thank you! I am not sure if I picked up on it correctly on your glog, but my eldest sister has the same name as you :)

I hop you have a great season too... and more of those videas you used to make!

Back