• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pest Problem? or Nute Defficiency/Toxicity?

Hey All!!!  Got one I've personally never experienced before...
Treated a week or two ago with a small dose of liquid nitrogen, as the plants showed very clear signs of NIT deff.  (Yellowing leaves all over the plant, slowed growth, etc) Haven't had a heck of a lot of trouble with pests on these plants so far this season, minus a small bout with some spider mites that I managed to nip in the bud early, a solitary snail (who is very happily munching the apartments ground cover plants downstairs with his hundreds of buddies as we speak ^.^) , and two or three leaf hoppers I had to scare off.  
 This 2nd Yr Jal plant was surrounded by a Hab (young, first season), a 7 Pot(2nd yr), Catnip, Rosemary, Thyme, Lemon Sage, Spearmint, Agave, and a Desert Rose.  There is also the start of a compost pile (currently building volume inside a 5Gal bucket with tarp cover and drain holes, etc)
     Water is city tap, (Water report - http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Water/WaterQualityReports2015/wqr_may2015.pdf)left outside in a 2 Gal plastic watering can (open lid) to evap off the chlorine etc, for at least 48 hours prior to watering.  We have had a recent MASSIVE influx of rain a few weeks ago, with a few smaller showers since.  Soil (or just water) PH coming off the drain holes of the plants is 6.2, at 1400PPM (measured with a standard PH and TDS probe, electric, and accurate to within .1PH and 50PPM as checked against the local water reports).  Weather has recently been heating up rather quickly (Austin) over the past few days, and I JUST got done picking 4 beautiful red Jals off this plant and 4 pods off the 7 pot.  All Plants are growing in 5 Gal Buckets (white) with 1/2" drain holes 1/2" above the bottom of the bucket (I salvaged them from my previous Hydro setup).
     Porch is 1/3 shaded at high noon, on a NNW facing balcony.  Plants were recently spread out (as compared to grouped on the sunniest spot) for additional noon shade from the hottest part of the day, and the only sign of possible pests I have seen is tiny not moving white specks (look almost like salt sprinkled on the leaves, but does not wipe off and shows no sign of insect or mite at 50x magnification)
     The plants are boderline underwatered, I usually water them about 12 - 24 Hrs after they show signs of wilting (usually because im lazy or dont want to water mid day in the heat) .  
    The past week/s since the heavy rains I have been going easy on the watering, as the pepper 'shells' seemed to be getting too soft.  In fact, one of the 7 pot pods I harvested had to get composted w/o the seeds because of internal (no outside damage) mold I found when I cut 'er open.  The peppers seemed to be firming up nicely, until this morning I found this... Thoughts???
Q9byGwF.jpg

I use 10-10-10 Slow release ferts for the moment, only until my Comp. pile gets larger and processed enough to start amending into the soil...  
Any advice or questions are VERY welcome, as this is my PRIZE Jal plant!

I was thinking BER too, but the location seems funny, not to mention how the damage is over several 'spots' in different locations.  However, I have not yet applied any Cal / Mag at any point...  I thought that might be my first fix attempt, but took it on inexperience to post here before adding anything lol

What I did for high nitrogen compost:
- Bent a panel of concrete remesh into a circle
- Zipp tied it together
- Filled it with layers of grass, wetting in between layers
- Turned every 5-6 days,  wetting layers as I turned it

I had deep, dark, compost that I amend with slow released P + K , changing the square footage into cubic footage reccomendations on the packages. Took about 4-5 weeks to get to this stage.  Very quick considering others takes years to break down.  

If it has 3 pounds per 100sqft.  I divide 3/100 = .03 pounds per square foot.   Calculate the size of the compost bin when it is ready.  (3 foot DIA cyclinder roughly 4 feet tall full of compost)  
Volume = pi * Radius^2 * Height

Volume = 3.14 * 1.5^2 * 4   or roughly 28 Cubic feet of compost.  So I would need roughly 7/8 of a pound of each fertilizer mixed into the compost to make it complete. 

After I incorporate the slow release fertilizer I will mix it back together, layer by layer.  Watering between layers.  and let it sit to mellow & allow for the P+K to be released. 

This quick compost is also great for compost tea.

- Vex

(If I am massively wrong, please correct me, as this is what I have been doing for a couple seasons now)

As for the damage - It looks like Early Blight.  Deepining concentric brown circles.   It would have to be pretty advanced to effect the fruit like that though.  Were these long hanging fruits where the water could have splashed up onto them? 

Bump

This pepper was about 6" from the mulch...and no signs of early blight anywhere on the leaves or stems....  Ill have to double check, but if it is, it is definitely not advanced, this is the first pepper I have seen this on

Back