• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peter Pepper plant

I remember someone posting that most peter peppers do not grow looking anatomically correct. As a matter of fact maybe only a small percentage grow that way. The poster did go on to say that if you got seeds from the originator, than most would grow that shape. They also gave the name/source of the true peter pepper seeds. Well i looked and searched this forum and google, but i could not find that link to the true peter pepper source. With all that said i heard that they dont taste very good. If i did ever grow them, it would be for conversation purpose more than consumption. As a retiree i have time now to add to my knowledge, and this was one of those tidbits i wanted to add to my pepper database. I hope someome can fill me in on this. Thank you inadvance.

From what I have read they are a great Hors d'oeuvre to serve when mother in-laws come to visit.

I agree with your assessment, heard pretty much the same thing.

I remember someone posting that most peter peppers do not grow looking anatomically correct. As a matter of fact maybe only a small percentage grow that way. The poster did go on to say that if you got seeds from the originator, than most would grow that shape. They also gave the name/source of the true peter pepper seeds. Well i looked and searched this forum and google, but i could not find that link to the true peter pepper source. With all that said i heard that they dont taste very good. If i did ever grow them, it would be for converation purpose more than consumption. As a retiree i have time now to add to my knowledge, and this was one of those tidbits i wanted to add to my pepper database. I hope someome can fill me in on this. Thank you inadvance.
A post by pepperjoe mentions the Alfrey Family in Knoxville Tennessee as the originator of the Peter Pepper. According to a post on davesgarden.com the original source is no longer in business.

I found, i thought a legit site, saying that they were a native from Louisiana. I have grown them for a couple of years now. The main reason for growing them was a conversation starter, i thought they were funny loooking :lol: I have some fermenting now, then some i am trying to mix up in a rub with my bells and onions and whatever else i can find to throw together. I thought they were warm. Taste, nothing to brag about, but that will change once i am done with em.

I had 2 Peter Peppers survive this ungodly summer in Texas...they are just over a foot tall, and only produced 13 pods between them. Most are rather phalic looking, but not all. I ate the first one to turn red tonight. Fair heat level...maybe that of a tabasco, or a really good arbol...but flavor is lacking. They really don't have much flavor at all.

Back