• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peter Stanley - 2019 grow log

This is sort of update 0, as I haven't finalized which peppers I'm growing yet. But I show a rough list and some ongoing projects I have in the basement. I'll post another update when I start seeds in a week or so.
Here's the rough, working list of the seeds I'm starting so far. I'll probably change it around a little before I start them.

https://bit.ly/2Qu8bTH

I enjoy all of your videos, not just the ones where you eat crazy hot peppers.  Your ideas have helped me with growing techniques in what works, and what does not.  Because we get so much rain down here, the double-bucket has worked out for more water-reliant plants like tomatoes and tomatillas.  Peppers seem to get over-watered, because we get so many afternoon showers.  What has worked better for us down here is to use a single bucket, drill 4 or 5 holes about 2-1/2 to 3 inched up from the bottom, and the insert a PVC pipe into the potting mix, down to the bottom.  It allows a feed tube through the media to the "bottom reservoir" for feeding and watering.  But then, when you get swamped with a monsoon, all bets are off.  It seems to be working better this year, and pots or buckets always cost something.

Again Peter I enjoy your tutorial, and especially the taste test vids.  Braver Man than I.

Regards.

Chorizo857_62J said:
I enjoy all of your videos, not just the ones where you eat crazy hot peppers.  Your ideas have helped me with growing techniques in what works, and what does not.  Because we get so much rain down here, the double-bucket has worked out for more water-reliant plants like tomatoes and tomatillas.  Peppers seem to get over-watered, because we get so many afternoon showers.  What has worked better for us down here is to use a single bucket, drill 4 or 5 holes about 2-1/2 to 3 inched up from the bottom, and the insert a PVC pipe into the potting mix, down to the bottom.  It allows a feed tube through the media to the "bottom reservoir" for feeding and watering.  But then, when you get swamped with a monsoon, all bets are off.  It seems to be working better this year, and pots or buckets always cost something.

Again Peter I enjoy your tutorial, and especially the taste test vids.  Braver Man than I.

Regards.
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it. Thanks for sharing your methods too! I think we all have to adapt out growing techniques to our given climate.

I sampled my first ripe Ghostly Jalapeno today. The one I tried last year seemed sweeter and way less hot, closer to Jalapeno heat. This one had flavor and heat more like Bhut. The heat was very quick and upfront, but it embered and smoldered and built, lasting a good while. The flavor was good. Here are some pics. This particular pod didn't have very many seeds, had a few.

g8Hf3g4h.jpg

HkirgqRh.jpg

ZyVieEUh.jpg

ZgaEnxzh.jpg

Chorizo857_62J said:
Wow, that is very interesting.  What stage of grow-out is this (towards stabilization)?
Not sure, I got the seeds from Jim Morrow, I think it's a Jack Skaggs cross.

dragonsfire said:
Nice grows :)
Purple Pumpkin ? 
I don't know much about it, Hippy Seed Co reported it to be originally a purple bhut jolokia that either crossed or mutated. The resulting pods were more pumpkin shaped. These I'm growing appear to be more bhut like. I do have another plant that has pods closer to the correct pheno but more elongated. I got the seeds from Tony Sherwood. Here's the old write up I found on Hippy Seed Co site, but they don't sell these anymore. https://thehippyseedcompany.com/purple-pumpkin-2/ Hippy seed does sell an annuum called Pumpkin Chili Pepper now, which has purple pods but is a different pepper entirely.

I really like the bhut shape one I'm growing now, beautiful plant. I could just call it a Purple Bhut going forward, thinking maybe it recessed back to what it was before. I'll definitely save seeds from it.

It’s great to see your season is going well Peter and really like the different systems you have going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't the solution get too warm sitting outside? Is some sort of cooler required? I'll probably need to try my first once slightly smaller to get the hang of it. Your plants look great

Mr.joe said:
Doesn't the solution get too warm sitting outside? Is some sort of cooler required? I'll probably need to try my first once slightly smaller to get the hang of it. Your plants look great
Thanks! This would be more of an issue with DWC plants in heat, as the dissolved oxygen level tends to drop when the temperatures go up. Kratky systems are less affected by this, because the roots get their o2 from the moist air layer above the nutrient solution.

Back