• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

PeterPepperPicker....Growing Peppers 2009

Hey All,

I am going to throw up some of my stuff for this year...and
people can comment and or ask questions, make
fun of me or..whatever...lol I will say that I have been gardening a while, I am *NOT* an experienced pepper grower.

I am going to try and link some photos here from Photobucket so let me know if it works for you or not.

This is a pic of a Purple Cayenne I have started, just popping the surface.

Then I have some GREAT news!... I have 2 RED Habanero seeds that are popping up even as I type this in...lots more in dirt, just these first sprouts coming up now.

I also have a tray with some mixed plants that are a week or
10 days old...these are Mexican and Asian mixes...I also have a
few Jolokia there and off to the left I am trying to germinate
some Bolivian Rainbow.

I realize some of these pics are big, that is why I used the clickable thumbnails so people with high bandwidth can blow them up larger. My apologies to anyone with a slower connection. I will also post a link to the album in photobucket for those with enough bandwidth to browse some more and I will be adding to this album as I go along.

I believe this should take you to my Photobucket album for further reference...if not I will fix, just let me know.

http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu80/peterpepperpicker/

I will be posting more pics as I go along. hmmm...small background on the plants. They were started in worm castings and sifted potting soil, I added some fine vermiculite and some perlite to help with water retention and drainage respectivly. I watered with a weak tea/Superthrive solution...no fertilizer of any kind yet...(just what is in the worm castings...naturally). I will start watering with OMRI Alaskan fish fertilizer at about 1-2 tbsp per gallon of water witn the next weeks to come. If I have any disasters I will post them for you...and if I can help anyone with anything I know please feel free to ask me, just remember I am a gardener but a pepper newbie...

I also wanted to say thanks to Cmpman (Chris), TxClosetGrower and Slyone1000 for the seeds that they kindly sent me.. I will include pics of those in particular as I have them up and going, I was testing my pepper grow skills on some more easily replaceable seeds!

I am eating hot pickled peppers from the jar till harvest time but lord knows it will be worth the wait! I have lots planned for this year... I don't even know if I can get it all in.

I will be doing some Mild stuff, Pepperoncini, Anaheim, Poblano...some mid heat stuff like my Purple Cayennes. mmmMMMmm...love those stuffed in green olives, I also have plans to grow Jalapenos and I have several hot or super hot types as well...7 pod, Jolokia, the Habanero, Scorpion, I might get my Fatali (but won't be making it for this contest, you guys got way... ahead of me. In all honesty I will just be happy if I get some great hot peppers to eat.

Thanks and hang in there with me while I screw things up, lol

Looks like you are off to a good start PPP. I doubt if you can screw up more than i did on my first year but you are more than welcome to try!

PeterPepperPicker said:
Hey All,

I am going to throw up some of my stuff for this year

*puts bucket by PeterPepperPicker*

You should really go over in one of the drinking threads to do that.

It sounds like you're really starting out correctly. Great choice on the soil, and your peppers are already sprouting, so Yay you!

Good luck triple P, hope you get all the peppers you want. I do the double cup method myself.

Isn't superthrive a fertilizer?

patrick said:
Isn't superthrive a fertilizer?

nope, no fertilize....it is vitamins and auxin...made to be used with your fertilize...it is supposed to improve the plants ability for the uptake of nutrients...

Well Heya all!,

Glad to see you pop in,

Novcastrian - I will do my best there bud, you see me messing up holler out.

Pam - You are so sweet, thanks for the bucket... I am not the person who needs the bucket though... I am the homebrewer who has to hold his neighbors on their riding lawnmower just so they can drive back across the street after drinkin out in the garage..lol, I may plant some peppers in that bucket though, Thanks!

Patrick triple p....cool sounds like a superhero..lol, maybe 3P...whatever works for me...and AJ is most correct, Superthrive is Auxins and helps with uptake of nutrients not a fertilizer. I find it helps with sprouting sometimes plus I already had it here at home from last year so I used it..lol Some people call it "snake oil"... I wonder how you would go about getting oil from an snake and hell if I was the snake I sure wouldn't appreciate that.

AJ - Thanks for the info and answering Patrick... I am watching all your progress in your thread too...very nice!

Hey Y'all back again,

I hope everyone is doing well. Well, not too much to report but
an update none the less and maybe I have a question that can be answered at the same time.

I also had a 3 Cotyledon sprout pop up, got a bad pic but it shows it. Thumbs are clickable to blow up (ie. more bandwidth)

The plants that started from before are beginning to develop actual leaves, I believe this is a Mexican Mixed plant.

Last pic and it comes with a question to all of you who have ever grown Purple Cayenne peppers (if anyone has that is). I have some Sprouts and this is the only one that has its cotyledon's turning purple... I know the peppers turn purple and none of my other plants is doing this...I don't think it is a P deficiency, is this normal? have you seen it with this type of pepper before?...like I said the other sprouts seem to be just green (I have another in the pic as best as I could for comparison)...

Thanks and hope it is all going green for you!...

Not cayenne, but I have some purple jalapno that started with purple leaves. When the true leaves came in they were green.

Hey 3P, looks like your off to a good start and as far as the purple leaves go it is normal under certain lighting. I have a lot that have the purplish leaves. It will go away when they go outside, or sooner.

Dale

Heya All, Back again...

And dam I have to update this thing more often..it was 10 pages back in this section ..lol

I am going to just start showing the latest stuff that has been happening here...trying to keep busy.

This is a sprout of an Aji Dulce...Mixed reviews I know, but I want to try it myself.

I also have a new Byadgi sprout, thanks Fineexampl

This is a sprouting Fresno on its way to being part of a good salsa!
Thanks again Fineexampl!

This ia general shot of my younger sprouts/table

I will continue this with another post...

Continued...

This ia a Mexican mixed plant... will have to see what it becomes but it is growing nicely.

This are a few of some Mystery Ultra hots I got from Slyone1000
Thanks to him also!

I have a nice young Orange Hab to share with you.

Continued...

Ok...moving on here...

These are 2 nice plants also, young but I am excited to have these guys up and moving... thanks to Txclosetgrower for these!

This is the purple Cotyledon Cayenne from my last post..it is a bit bigger now and not purple but a beautiful plant.

Heres a nifty young Scotch Bonnet...

I also have some Thai pepper seedlings breaking the surface...
thanks again to Fineexampl!

Continued....

I know...I know ...Pictures!!!...

These are some very young Yellow Siam breaking the surface...
Fineexampl...thanks again!

I can't say I am sure what this young one was...mmm, missed my label here...

Tbis are 2 different Young Red Hab's...

continued....

OK....next comes a perennial favorite a young Chocolate Hab

This is a table shot of some of my peppers, these are in 32 oz
deli containers.

Another view same table...

Closeup of a plant on that table...

Continued...

Finally...

This is a shot of the Lemon Drop that looks a bit furry...
See Tx... it's all thanks to you!

An Orange Hab...

And I will finish with a pic of a Young White hab...

It has been going really well, except I have been having the damdest time starting the following peppers...they are in dirt, I just haven't got any sprouts some have been 3-4 weeks or more...

Fatalii
7 pot/pod
Manzano / Rocoto
T. Scorpion
B Jolokia
Dorset Naga

AND THOSE ARE THE HOTTEST DAMED ONES!!! ACK!!... I am not giving up though...still working through.. I got some new seeds for the Fatalii and the Jolokia recently.. and I am germinating again...still have the old ones too just in case they pop up at like 2 months or something. I am going to be getting my Roma tomatos, San Marzanos, and Costuloto Genovese started sooon...as well as my Tomatillos... you know what that means???? SALSA!!!!! this coming year ...Thanks for hanging in there with me. I would like to stop and say thanks to every kind pepper keeping soul who shares their seeds and their wisdom, it makes this awesome hobby even the more fun, I have more in the dirt and when I get some new sprouts I will update again...until then hang in there and post a lot of your stuff so I have something to read/look at.

Looking like you're off to a great start.
I have a choc hab about the same size as yours - it's one of the ones I really wanted this year and I only got ONE of them to come up. I shall be very protective of it.

Heya Pepper People,

Ldorentz - Thank you, I am trying...peppers are a new area for me though I love gardening so it is an extension of something I truly enjoy.

Caroltlw! - Yep my purple Cayenne, got the green leaves like you thought but heck I am happy it is doing well at the moment. I love my little hab plants, I am growing lots of them....we shall see how I can get these to grow..they are small and do seem to grow slower than the Annums but heck I can just start next years crop in December instead of February.

Thanks for visiting!

Another (Short update)
and a couple of more pics...

I bought some sweet peppers, they are celicious, when I was cutting them up I saved some seeds. They are crunchy and kind of remind me of a bell pepper but much sweeter. I got them at a local discount store and the box was labled "mini sweet peppers". from my observations, they are Red when small, then turning Orange and finally Yellow. The red pods contained no seeds and were the least sweet (so less mature I would assume). Orange had some and yellow had most seed. I popped a couple of seeds into a coffee filter and set it on the cable modem on 3/21 and today I had some tails...so off to the dirt they went, I am curious to see what these turn out like. I am beginning to believe they may be a type of pimento? anyone have some thoughts??

Mini Sweet Pod Pictures

Share your thoughts, Pimento?..Other..?

Back