• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peter's 2014 Grow Log

I planted these seeds last night.  I soaked them in a diluted tea solution for a few hours.

7-pot Brainstrain - Red x 4
7-Pot Primo x 2
Brown Congo x 2
Jalepeno x 3
Naga Morich x 4
Peter Pepper x 2
Reaper x 4
Red Bhut x 4
Serrano x 3
Trinidad 7-pod Brainstrain - Yellow x 2
White Yucatan Habanero x 2
Yellow Jellybean x 4

Should be 36 plants total, but I planted 3 seeds for each one, will clip the smaller ones. One of the Serrano's bounced into the Peter Pepper tray. I think I got the right one back out, but they looked almost identical. So there might be a surprise later. 

seeds.jpg

trays.jpg

I converted an old turtle tank for keeping the seeds warm. There is a heat pad underneath the tray. The light is an aquarium light used for growing aquatic plants. It's 2 t-5s, 6700K. I have it on now to generate more heat, and for the seedlings when they sprout. I have a 2ft, 4 bulb t-5 fixture that I'm going to setup next to this tank for when they get bigger.

germBox.jpg

The shot glass is a Naga Morich I'm growing for a facebook contest. 

This is my first year growing from seed. I grew a few pepper plants last year that I got from Lowes, as starters. 

I'm a little nervous hoping everything goes right. I know I'll check these constantly.

Here're updated photos of my peppers outside, from yesterday. I gave away five, so they all fit in these two boxes now. They're in the hardening off process, up to 3 hours sunlight. Hope to get those destined for containers done this week, and leave them out full time soon.

The one in the bottom left of this pic is a cucumber

qpf9sjnh.jpg

8mQaDeFh.jpg

Here're the same plants in their indoor setup.

miNciOel.jpg

qDX3cRGl.jpg

4CQAqjxl.jpg

I've been harding these off now for over a week, and put a bunch out this weekend. Here are 10 in 5-gallon buckets.

tEJSUcYl.jpg

7 in front of this rock wall

WoGJwBtl.jpg

And 20 in my pepper garden

4u8KL2Ul.jpg

I've been slack updating my glog, but here are some of the plants in my garden area. I'll try to some pics of the others up soon.

Reaper

mlygJwel.jpg

Yellow Jellybean

vBaUUUFl.jpg

Peter Pepper

jiPw6dRl.jpg

Serrano

WTVMuWXl.jpg

Red Bhut

npzHXxKl.jpg

Naga Morich (little blurry)

kbIVRfDl.jpg

Red Brainstrain

omIl0j7l.jpg

Yellow Brainstrain

t2Ao7hFl.jpg

Red Fatali

MaZ0F5Cl.jpg

July 4th update!

Here are pictures and videos of my peppers as of today.

5-gallon bucket peppers. They are really small compared to everything else. I mixed up my own soil and must have gotten it wrong. Next year I might just invest in Fox Farm Ocean Forest or similar.

nB9d6BPl.jpg

Pepper bed

tx8Lggnl.jpg

http://youtu.be/HtnVmaBgv84

Garden peppers

dyxBkoIl.jpg

http://youtu.be/b03cgw3LvE4

Looking good, Peter.
Momma Nature is a tough act to follow when it comes to dirt.
Fox Farms does give here a run for the money -for a price.

Is it possible some of that wood chip mulch is mixed down  into the soil itself?
That could cause the yellowing due to nitrogen lock-up or even pH-based nute lock-out.
Even poor drainage/ soil texture could yellow them.

I've gotten good to excellent results with every soil I've mixed since I started following Ganga Girl's  soil building techniques
The only ingredient that can be hard to find is the granite rock dust, the rest is easy, available, -and cheap too by Fox Farm standards.

And don't worry, cause I learned more from my mistakes last year(and wood chips was one of them), than my success this year.
Don't toss that soil at the end of the year, it can be fixed over the winter and made ready to rocknroll next spring using a GG blueprint.

Thanks Jesse, yeah that soil has lots of wood mixed in. The ratio I used was a
4-5 parts shredded pine bark mulch
1 part peat
2 parts MG garden soil (had a big bag of it lying around)
1 Tbs dolomite garden lime per gallon
some perlite 

I read somewhere that the lime would help offset the ph from the mulch and peat. I never invested in a tester to check it though. I didn't consider other imbalances either. Some of my rock wall plants have that mixed in too, which probably explains why they aren't that great looking either. Needless to say, I'm not using that mix again. I'm going to look up the Ganga Girl recipe you're talking about and try it next year.  Do you know if there's anything I could add to what's there now to help them through this season?

Long overdue update:

Peppers are doing great. I was looking through the older photos and am amazed at what is coming from the tiny sprouts I had. Here are a few pics and video from today.

Bucket peppers. These are still puny but they are putting out some pods. I really screwed up the soil mix on these, hopefully will get it dialed in next year. I've been adding some fish emulsion and Maxi-bloom, seems to be helping.

M8tzHV3l.jpg

Rock wall peppers
oU4uv3el.jpg

Best for last, the garden. I'm glad I gave these guys 4 foot spacing, actually needed more.
nPSFjV0l.jpg

Here are a few that I picked today

0wJ5r0zl.jpg

These were from a few days ago. I've made 3 large pots of chili and a pot of spicy African yam soup with my peppers so far. I've started drying and vacuum sealing some too.

3muOUuOl.jpg

Brown Congo starting to turn ripe. There is a bigger one with the rock wall plants.

J6MObxcl.jpg

Another quick harvest pic. Under the brain are some Mako akokɔsrade, Red fatali, Naga Morich and a 7-pot Primo, and a Reaper.

0cWkQQYl.jpg

I love how the Yellow Brain Strain looks.

GCnPqsjl.jpg

I also picked a large Brown Congo, and I noticed some cracks and a hole. I haven't cut it open yet, not sure if something got into it. 

iPJTWwPl.jpg

Not exactly related to my grow log, but wanted to share. Got a box a fresh peppers from Pepper Lover yesterday, Peach Bhuts and Reapers. They looked awesome. I dried a bunch of them already.

anSctNvl.jpg

HhLQ2Sml.jpg

oKCvfw6l.jpg

AYSsDwPl.jpg

TzTBfwvl.jpg

I did save a few to eat fresh, and take to work tomorrow. I just ate a Peach Bhut a few minutes ago, put slices on crackers with tomato and cheese. Was very good.

oG2vkKHl.jpg

Just read back over your glog, nice set up, well done. Really like the peppers against the rock wall. Will your weather permit you to keep the plants in the ground outside over winter? :)

rory said:
Just read back over your glog, nice set up, well done. Really like the peppers against the rock wall. Will your weather permit you to keep the plants in the ground outside over winter? :)
Thanks. Not sure how long I can keep them going through the winter. You gave me an idea though, maybe could put some plastic from the top of the wall down to in front of the plants. Might get them through the first few frosts at least, until it gets really cold. I can bring my bucket plants inside easy enough.

Long overdue update, but here are some good harvest pics. Plants are doing well and lots of pods still ripening. I'm making good use of our dehydrator and vacuum sealer. 

Some dehydrating.
WsWhQCMl.jpg

F8Iuv6el.jpg

DKW6Yasl.jpg

3Q7Vh8Zl.jpg

Axj6cXnl.jpg

bpoxNRyl.jpg

lMLtFA4l.jpg

An6xbhRl.jpg

XpJEbM7l.jpg

GkConvul.jpg

First frost was last night. I've haven't been out to check them, but I covered everything up yesterday with tarps and trash bags, except for the bucket plants which I brought inside. Looks like we might get at least a couple more weeks of 70+ temps.

Everything is pretty much harvested. I have some still hanging in the basement to ripen out. A few more harvest, misc pics...

Food stuff with peppers
IT3767el.jpg

Reaper brittle
J1GZlZJl.jpg

Last two big pulls

7OeqGM5l.jpg

riZlC0wl.jpg

My Aji Chuncho for Growndown Throwdown
HFR8vCnl.jpg

Some Brown Congos

V5GEsQTl.jpg

And the start of next growing season..., thanks Judy (Pepperlover)!

dAx6tFUl.jpg

Here's a tentative working list of what I'm looking at for next year. I'm sure I will add a few here and there before starting them.

New seeds list (all from pepperlover so far)
Brown Moruga
Devil's Horn
Devil's Heart
Reaper
Mustard Moruga Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
White Fatalii
Hot Fingers
Sula Adana
Aji Habanero
Cumra Cherry
Hot Tomatoes
Farmer's Jalapeño
Bell of Lebannon
Cinnamon Bell
Sweet Cow Horn
Star of Turkey
Tekne Dolmasi
Mahasi

Seeds left over from last year that I'll probably grow again
Yellow Brainstrain
Red Bhut
7-Pot Primo
Naga Morich
Brown Congo
White Yucatan Habanero
Hot Banana
Large Thick Cayenne

I have a few that I'm over-wintering too.

Back