• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Petins..hairy or nairy

With all awesome pics popping up on grow logs...a question has arise as to "fur" on petins or pequins.....to a quick visual
I can say I've never noticed any .While I am only familiar with 2 wild types I have, this is kind of a wide open field with lots of local variations....my impressions of "no fur" may just be that.When think "fur" I think pubescens, where it is obvious.
Under good lighting and macro type photography-we may very well have "hair" where it wasn't noticed before...so before we
start chuckin' anything any resident expert opinions on this??????

Never saw any fur or hair on my pequin plants and can't say I've ever heard of that jive. When I think of hair on a plant the only thing that comes to mind are colita's.

A little history, a few folks have planted some of all of the above and are getting furry seedlings, offhand I'd say nay....but I have only used my eyeballs .
The real clear close ups, are closer than I've ever looked, so .......call this a clarification thread.

...nah, I think you are refering to a "shit'in".

Here's what one of my chiltepins (tepin) looked like last season. Hope this helps...

a98ff861-e355-4e01-bd78-8ce79bfce682.jpg

I have 3 pequins plants and no fur.
I have 1 - 3 year old tepin, no fur.
My pubs have fur.............. (don't go there, they are rocotos)
that being said, i have 4 goatsweed, 1 - 5yrs old, it has fur and 3 new seedling and they have not yet developed fur.

I think mine may be one of the ones he was referring to...here are some pics.

P1000393-1.jpg

P1000394-1.jpg

Although labeled Tepin #2 I double checked my seed source and they're Tepin #15??? I am now told that they may have some fuzz when young, then shed it as they mature (kinda like myself!). I still don't know too much about this Tepin variety, so any info provided would be great! No results on google for #15...

I received the seeds on a seed train, so I can only narrow the source down to 10 people, and some of the folks on the train have since bailed.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Shane

Back