• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Petrac 2020

So, last year growing season was a blast for me. I hope this year it wont be much different. I ordered seeds from 2 different companies, one pacage arrived this week. First four in the list are now in the soil. I had to stop myself from ordering more seeds..Its just so addictive looking through all this stuff..

Seed list:

Chocolate Habaneros (seeds from last year)
Hungarian hot wax (gift seeds)
Bhutlah chocolate
Mulato isleno
Serrano del sol
Ring of fire
Brazilian starfish
Lemon drop
Carolina reaper
Brown Rocotto

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,083
Nice score, @Petrac! Having good lighting is a key
aspect of getting those peppers going. I remember
being amazed by the difference when I got T5HO
vs. regular T12 fluorescent lamps.

Have a great season, my friend!

Nice score, @Petrac! Having good lighting is a key
aspect of getting those peppers going. I remember
being amazed by the difference when I got T5HO
vs. regular T12 fluorescent lamps.

Have a great season, my friend!
This ones are exactly those. 2x2 T5, 6500K, 54W, high output.

I have never grown anything under artificial light. Looking forward to see the difference.

Last edited:
A quick update.

The seeds are sprouting, germination so far is not exactly what I hoped for. Perhaps under the lights they dont like it, so I have placed the cups with unsprouted seeds to the top of the lamps, where the soil will be kept warm.

I also put the rest of my seeds into the soil - peppers, tomatoes and Physalis, and also purchased some more Chili seeds. I noticed that I have never grown a white pepper, so i purchased White Chupitinho seeds. I didn't have any Aji type, so i purchased Aji Cachucha purple, I also need something weird looking, so i purchased Cabaca Roxa and Erotico seeds. Also I found out that you need some milder types in your garden.

Yaki fawn blue, this year compared to last one has a much better germination and I hope I'll get both of phenotypes so i'll be able to compare them. It's a really beautiful looking plants. Everybody who saw it was asking question what the hell is that thing :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220213_084026.jpg
    IMG_20220213_084026.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20220213_084100.jpg
    IMG_20220213_084100.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220213_084146.jpg
    IMG_20220213_084146.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 76
I didn't have any Aji type, so i purchased Aji Cachucha purple

In case by “ají type” you mean Capsicum baccatum, you should know that Ají Cachucha is a mild Capsicum chinense from Cuba. Keep in mind “ají” is just the generic word for any pepper in many countries, not a specific species.

Last edited:
In case by “ají type” you mean Capsicum baccatum, you should know that Ají Cachucha is a mild Capsicum chinense from Cuba. Keep in mind “ají” is just the generic word for any pepper in many countries, not a specific species.

Thank you for pointing that out. I googled it and you're right. Well, I guess you learn something new every day. I was sure that there is no such thing as aji chinense.

Waiting to see that Yaki Blue Fawn pump out
some gorgeous pods!
popcorn2.gif

Waiting to see that Yaki Blue Fawn pump out
some gorgeous pods!
popcorn2.gif
Me too.. Last year I had 2 plants. The pods and the plants were awesome dark purple. The only problem is that i have no idea when to pick them. At the end I let them be on the plant untill the frost came. They're quite hot. Plants and pods are huge too.

Keep in mind “ají” is just the generic word for any pepper in many countries, not a specific species.
The Spanish invaders used ají as well as chile to describe peppers in the early Mexican chronicles. Ají is likely derived from a Taíno word for pepper, while chile comes from Nahuatl. Today, you will always hear chile being used in Mexico, but ají in the rest of Latin America.

Indeed! Over the winter, my interest in all things Capsicum led to consuming several books on Latin American history, pre- and post-colonization. Mostly Mexico and Peru, although I’d love to find a book which focused more on the history of the islands.

As someone who grew up in San Diego, learning more about the history of the US southwest (formerly the northern frontier of New Spain) has been really eye opening. I wish I’d paid more attention during our family trips to the Pueblos of New Mexico!

Me too.. Last year I had 2 plants. The pods and the plants were awesome dark purple. The only problem is that i have no idea when to pick them. At the end I let them be on the plant untill the frost came. They're quite hot. Plants and pods are huge too.
Haha, I did almost the same. I picked up the pods when I was pulling plants out of the garden.

Miha congrats on all the seedlings, looks like you'll have your garden full again this season.

And you got me laughing out loud with your monologue there, hahah, nice :cool:

It has been a while since my last post. I managed to plant a bit less plants this year. Unfortunatly there was some problems with weather and bad seedlings. I planted them on May 22nd and haven't seen them since. I hope they're doing well.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 56
I hope you find those plants way bigger,
and super healthy, when you finally get
around to them. The Yaki Blue Fawns look
great, nice color.

Back