• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Ph level in soil ? Best way to measure , best way to lower or raise it ?

So I got one of those cheap 3 in 1 meters to check moisture , light & PH . It seems the PH in my soil has gone up . I'm using miracle gro potting mix with perlite mixed in when new it was around 6-6.5 now it's around 7 or more . I'm guessing the meter isn't very accurate . What is best way and also cheapest way to check the ph in my soil ? I've been feeding it MG Tomato plant food and recently switched to maxibloom . Most of my plants are fine there first buds are coming in and there starting to flower , some even look like there podding up . My carolina reaper on the other hand keeps dropping its buds before they flower up or right after they do . I Wanna make sure there taking in the ferts I'm giving them . How can I bring the ph in the soil up or down ? I'm using nyc tap water , I set it aside for a day or 2 , I try not to use it straight out the tap if I can . Have no idea what the ph of it is . Here a pic of the cheapo meter in my reaper plant

16A5357A-D30A-4D64-8A85-54014D62127E-2035-0000014B5A6FCCC8_zps69b36909.jpg

Any advice or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated , Carlos

I agree 100% with rebel. You can also get some ph down at most of your garden stores or online!. Be careful when adjusting your ph. Only add a little at a time

Thanks to both of you !!! The maxibloom has sulfur in it if I continue using that would that lower the ph over time ?? Or is it not enough ?

FLOWERS OF SULPHUR - Mixed into soil, Flowers of Sulphur -- sometimes called "Elemental Sulphur" -- works by feeding sulphur-eating bacteria. Microbes metabolize the S and deposit sulphuric acid as a biproduct. Voila! pH plummets. Pros: It works.Cons: You need air, warmth, and moisture to keep the bacteria cooking. You also need patience; this method can take a year to work. Also, it does not work in soil with free carbonates. Warning: Do not substitute asulphite fertilizer, SO4-2; those molecules will not change the pH.3. PEAT MOSS - Mixed into soil in generous ratios, Sphagnum Peatmoss causes pH to plunge over time. Compost and manure also lower pH. 2 1/2 lbs of Peatmoss will reduce the pH of 1 sq. yd of soil by 1.

Even if you are creeping up in pH, I don't think you need to worry about modifying it. The pepper plants should still grow fine around pH 7.

Like said, elemental sulfur will take a long while to change your pH, and I would be really surprised if the MG potting soil + MG nutrients didn't have an acidifying effect on the potting mixture. I suppose the water could be raising pH, but I kinda doubt that would increase the pH significantly.. I could certainly be wrong there, but it's not anything I've ever heard of being a big problem.

Also, as you were eluding to, those pH meters aren't very accurate. You could get some pH test strips and make a 1:1 solution of tap water to soil and test it that way.

You can easily and cheaply lower the pH of your water simply by adding small amounts of citric acid. Also be aware that some commercial seaweed products are very alkaline and will overtime increase soil pH if added frequently

Back