• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

PH question

Im growing 20 plants in a Tower Gardern. Its an aeroponic/hydroponic system. PH is ddriving me crazy! Ive bought a milwaukee ph meter but its reading like a 1 point different than the ph test kit that came with my system. Whats the chances something is wrong with the meter? When put in the 7.0 calabration solution it reads 7. So I dont know?

Is the ph test kit that came with the unit drops? I'm leaning towards trusting your digital one. Especially since it's calibrated. Whats the temperature of the solution you're testing?

Edmick said:
Is the ph test kit that came with the unit drops? I'm leaning towards trusting your digital one. Especially since it's calibrated. Whats the temperature of the solution you're testing?
Its drops, that came with it. I dont know the temp. Its a 20 gallon resivior outside.

2 things:

1) drops are the least reliable method of testing Ph

2) If you haven't done outdoor hydro before, you are in for frustration first, and heavy learning or complete abandonment, second.

You need to keep your reservoir cool, or else the nutrient solution loses the ability to hold dissolved oxygen.  When I say cool, 78 degrees would be extremely warm.  If you are outside of optimal temp, you will lose control of a lot of parameters.  

But mainly, don't trust the drops.

That graph shows what might look like an insignificant change in solubility over a 10 degree difference. However put into context...
http://www.just4growers.com/stream/hydroponic-growing-techniques/airing-out-the-truth-on-dissolved-oxygen-in-hydroponics.aspx
A near optimal 70 degrees, when raised by 10 degrees - easily done in an outside grow - sees a 25% loss of solubility. Another 5 degrees, and you're down to 50% And remember, solubility of a gas in a liquid isn't absolute. The amount of dissolved gases are shared. CO2, oxygen, methane (if you have it), it's all occupying the same strata. So, if you've reduced your ability to hold a near optimal amount of oxygen by 50%, and you live and breath the same air that the rest of the planet does - which is 70+% percent Nitrogen - then you're already operating on thin margins.

Back