• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Picking Jalapenos ... Green, Red, or some of each?

Im Waiting For mine to Turn, Its Hard to Just see them Sit there, Ive been Wanting to Just Pick One, and What Is Wrong With 1? Well...2 then 3 and So On

I've got two jalapeno plants going at the moment. My plan is to have one plant be specifically for letting them ripen red and the other for just picking green when I want/need them. Seems like a good plan for now until I find myself in your shoes as mine are just starting to pod up.

I let as many as possible go red, but sometimes I want peppers, and pick them green.
Nothing wrong with that - you want what you want, and you want it when you want it - if it's available now, but just not optimal, whose business is that besides your own?

Im Stroked sense I Never Had a Red Jalap. Just Recently I Found out the Ripen Red -___- The Outside world of the Pepper Community is Pretty Green

Yep. Most distributors want to ship them green so they last longer. If they tried to ship them already-ripe, they might spoil before they got to the grocer's stand. Still, part of why I started to grow my own was spoilage at the grocer's - and of green pods, at that.

Whatever tickles your fancy. ;)

Personally, I don't mind pickled green japs. I always have a jar of sliced ones in the fridge at all times. Red? green? Both awesome in my books.

With six jala. plants (three different varietals), there are many options on when to pick. Picked my first six of the season (green) last night. For making poppers, tend to prefer them green because the texture is firmer compared to red, stands up to grilling better. Also, green seems to maintain it's crunch better than red when pickled for winter use.

That being said, I prefer them red. The flavor just seems to be better balanced when ripe and this is how we like them freshly sliced on burgers and pizza. As for heat, cannot tell any discernible difference between the two.

Just seconding what those above are saying, whatever "floats your boat", its all good either way.

Depends what you want to do with them whether you pick them ripe or unripe.

Hard to make salsa verde with red chiles.

+1
All depends what your use for them is. If you want more of a cruch, and less sweetness try picking them green. If you want more sweetness and a bit more heat and fruitiness pick them red. Jalapenos are very versatile and can be used in many different ways. These days most of my jals are picked red and smoked for powders, sauces, and salsas

man thats for sure. green ones have a unique flavor that is great for certain things like a big pot of green chile with duck and and white beans!

the red ones make fruit salsas like firey mango salsa :)

just depends on what your pleasure is

Wait till your first one is red, then pick it and one still green. Compare the two and decide if it was worth waiting. Personally I'll pick them green if nothing else is ripe yet and I want a fresh pepper to eat.

Back