• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickled Peppers :)

1st batch of Black Hungarians , Decided to try and pickle them since not so hot . Used 2 cups white vinegar 2 cups apple cider vinegar 1 cup sugar , Some Pepper Corns, Celery seed and garlic Brought to a boil then filled over peppers. Hope they turn out tasty!

20210904_135547.jpg

Last edited:
50/50 with water or all vinegar? 😧

I don't like them that sour and the acid breaks them down faster (softer)... but they should taste good!

I googled this up in case you might be interested:

I googled this up in case you might be interested:
Thanks ! 1st time straight pickling , I'll see what they come out like and dial it down next batch. Hoping for a pepperoncini type sour .

It's a week in tried a few not sour at all and very crunchy so I'll give it another week . Funny thing is the Hungarians one pepper will be sweet not hot at all and the next one will set you on fire lol Mistery peppers !!

I really like this recipe. I do a cold pack of this recipe and it is very well received.

Make the brine, cool to room temp, pour over prepared veggies/chiles. The caviat is it has to be kept refrigerated. Upside is that the product is fresher and crunchier.

Last edited:
Make the brine, cool to room temp, pour over prepared veggies/chiles. The caviat is it has to be kept refrigerated. Upside is that the product is fresher and crunchier.
Have you looked into steam canning? Apparently it used to be poo-pooed but it was recently proven to be safe by the University of Wisconsin-Madison. And talk about keeping the pickles/peppers crisper! I'm about to try. You just need 3 quarts of water and a rack to hold them above the water level, in a pot, with a lid, to process. Or a steam canner, which is sold also. It has a tray with holes.

How these doing now?
The process worked but not the flavor I was looking for and the Hungarian peppers I used just have to many seeds. The flavor came out tasting like sweet pickles . I was looking for a more sour flavor like pepperoncini... But they are edible kinda fun for some reason some are hot and some not so much .

When doing a large batch of cold packed pickled peppers, i put them in a 5 gallon plastic food service bucket with the pickle brine for 2 weeks. When ready to pack, i agitated the produce in the bucket and a lot of the seeds settled to the bottom of the bucket. Then, scoop the pickled produce into whatever jars you are using, cover with the brine, cap and refrigerate.

Still learning the platform!!!

And where to acces the image from PB while posting on our local isp....

Attachments

• pony-express-5.jpg
    pony-express-5.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Shesh, trying to post a link...

Back