• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Pickles

I was just wondering something. This year we grew some cucumbers and we really didn't get much. I was wondering if there is a type of cucumber that not only is common for making some dill pickles but is also high yielding? Im sure some of the problem was soil but that will be approved upon next season.

We bought plants at Lowe's, I am not sure of the variety. I know Gherkins are the usual variety mentioned by Alton Brown and others.

Ours from Lowe's produced TONS. The pickles were great.

Hmmm ill have to keep my eye out for those. Maybe Ill hunt around see if I can find anyone who carries Gherkins. Thanks again cheezy.

I ordered from Totally Tomatoes it was a pickling pack or something came with Country Fair and Homemade pickling cucumber seeds I found the Homemade grew better but this year was crappy season outdoors...

NagaChutney Pickle and Sannam pickle

Guys,

My Friend Grant sent me a ton of Naga Morich and Naga Jolokia(Bangaldesh and Indian seed sources) . I made my latest batch of chutney pickle (on the left and NOT SWEET).I also sent him a jar of home grown Sannam and Pusa Jwala-lemon pickle. I also sent him a bottle of Naga Jolokia Sauce which I call as "DEAD MOUTH SAUCE"

4041116118_b021744200_o.jpg

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Guys,

My Friend Grant sent me a ton of Naga Morich and Naga Jolokia(Bangaldesh and Indian seed sources) . I made my latest batch of chutney pickle (on the left and NOT SWEET).I also sent him a jar of home grown Sannam and Pusa Jwala-lemon pickle. I also sent him a bottle of Naga Jolokia Sauce which I call as "DEAD MOUTH SAUCE"

4041116118_b021744200_o.jpg

NJA

Mouth probably not the only thing that will be dead :lol:

Friends,

These are the pickles I had prepared on oct 1st. Now they are history (or manure...who knows?)

3974670594_a5f688fc0c_o.jpg

On left most is Hot Jalepenos, middle is Carrots and right most is Lemon pickle. Last two are for family usage.

NJA

This is the THAI PEPPERS Pickle I had prepared mid october.

4074552091_ac73006879_o.jpg

This pickle was converted to chutney (not sweet) and a part went to Ohio . I have to make it again tomorrow.

NJA

LUCKYDOG said:
doesnt look like much liquid in your last pic are all the ends brown?

LUCKYDOG,

Thai pickle is made in oil, salt and powdered spices in Indian way. The ends are brown due to spices.No vinegar is added at this stage.It is added a bit later on.

This pickle is highly aromatic with fumes of Mustard oil and Thai chillies reacing the head on the first bite.

NJA

Oooooooohhhhhh got ya! Since you put it that way .... looks good. :cheers: I was thinking it was pickling as in a brine with vinegar of some sort

Back