food Pickles

090614123439_zpsa52ef494.jpg

081714190314_zpsa7853540.jpg

Last season I started my love of pickling. If you have not tried it you reallyneed to. It is soooo easy and the web has easy how to youtube videos.

Or just buy a jar of pickles, eat a couple, then add a dried superhot to it and enjoy as soon as the next day.

I can't wait for my plants to produce so I canstart pickling again.

German dills with a kick or bread and butter sweat heat? I do both each year. Love some pickles!!!! Daughter one time thought a whole jalapeño was a pickle at 1 year old. She grabbed it of my plate stuck it in her mouth before I could get it away from her. The look on her face was epic!!! Did not get anything off my plate again.

I have a hellva time trying to grow pickling cukes.  They haven't turned out.  I have bought them at the Farmer's Market and made bread & butter and dill pickles.  Not too long ago I made Deli-Style pickles with air-lock quart jars via the ferment method.  They were good.  I need to add more spices, garlic, etc. next time.  I pickled green beans, too!  Got a jar in the fridge now.  Your jars of pickles look really good!!

Jim

pepperrookie said:
I have a hellva time trying to grow pickling cukes.  They haven't turned out.  I have bought them at the Farmer's Market and made bread & butter and dill pickles.  Not too long ago I made Deli-Style pickles with air-lock quart jars via the ferment method.  They were good.  I need to add more spices, garlic, etc. next time.  I pickled green beans, too!  Got a jar in the fridge now.  Your jars of pickles look really good!! Add 1 teaspoon mustard seed per qt, 4 fresh sprigs of dill per qt, 1 teaspoon of pickling spice per qt, 6 cloves of fresh garlic per qt, I slice of onion per qt. add superhot pod cut in half. This will add good flavor before the burn start.

Jim

" ... add superhot pod cut in half. This will add good flavor before the burn start. " I loved all your spice suggestions then came to this one and laughed like crazy at "...before the burn". Reminded me of My neighbor who infused vodka with a reaper pod I gave him. One swig melted my face!

96strat said:
German dills with a kick or bread and butter sweat heat? I do both each year. Love some pickles!!!! Daughter one time thought a whole jalapeño was a pickle at 1 year old. She grabbed it of my plate stuck it in her mouth before I could get it away from her. The look on her face was epic!!! Did not get anything off my plate again.
now thats  :rofl: !     :onfire:

pepperrookie said:
I have a hellva time trying to grow pickling cukes.  They haven't turned out.  I have bought them at the Farmer's Market and made bread & butter and dill pickles.  Not too long ago I made Deli-Style pickles with air-lock quart jars via the ferment method.  They were good.  I need to add more spices, garlic, etc. next time.  I pickled green beans, too!  Got a jar in the fridge now.  Your jars of pickles look really good!!

Jim
if anyone needs a German dill recipe that's super let me know! Strat out

Strat,

I will take you up on that offer for the German pickle recipe. Will you pm me with it? Thanks in advance!

Jim

Back