• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pics Pics of My Plants for this season

Not looking for an argument either and I'm fairly sure POTAWIE isn't either. Heck, I don't want to argue with him, man knows more about growing peppers than I do and that's a fact.

I would like to know why he said it though, hopefully he'll see this conversation and get back into it. I don't understand how a hybrid can't grow true to itself. If the flowers are self pollinated it would almost have to--or so I would think. Unless it reverts back to what one of the parents was. I thought if a hybrid plant was to self pollinate and grow the same for 10 generations it would be considered stable, could be named and wallah a new pepper.

After much reading and much more confusion I think I understand. If the Super Chili is a hybrid, and according to POTAWIE it is, then the only way to grow the same plant would be to get more seeds from a crossed plant that was grown from the same parent plants. That's an F1 I think.

Example would be to cross plant A with plant B and the seeds from it would grow plant C. I don't know why C wouldn't grow true seeds if it was self pollinated though. Since it won't, again according to POTAWIE, then the only way to get seeds to grow plant C would be to cross plant A with plant B again and use those seeds.

Not doubting you POTAWIE just making sure I don't get credit for something I'm not 100% sure about.

Think I'm headed to a new Thread.

Back