• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pinch 'er in the Bud?

HwyBill

Banned
First of my crop to produce a flower.

Is it big and healthy enough to make flowers, or should I remove it?

fSm9S.jpg

How tall is it? Looks around 6 inches? I would personally pinch it until it gets to be at least a foot tall. I'm sure it will give you pods, but the growth during fruiting will slow down considerably and you'll wind up with less yield overall.

I've always read you should pinch the first flower on the first split - but like any rule of thumb, it's usefulness is based on the context. Are you keeping it indoors or transplanting out? What cultivar is it?

Haha! It's a mystery pepper! Just labeled as "???"

It definately seems to be an annuum from it's looks and growth pattern.

It's about 8-10" tall.

I'd let the plant get bigger/stronger before letting them pod, especially if its a large podded variety

I'd let the plant get bigger/stronger before letting them pod, especially if its a large podded variety

I think it is an annuum, so probably pretty big fruit.

Pinch it off?

I have no reservations pinching it off, other than I just don't want to hurt it.

I'd definitely pinch that one and any others that pop up for a while, until the plant is large and robust.

mystery pepper--> let it fruit so you can get an ID. then you can decide if it deserves space in your garden. Maybe it's something you already have or maybe it's not a pepper you would like.

Since pinching is the subject here, I will ask a question in response to what I have been told about budding.
The goal is to separate fact from fiction. My plants, all supers, are near maturity and it is only May.
I have been told once you pinch buds they will not regrow on the same branch in the same spot.

Is this true or false ?

Thanks...

Ghosty...

Pinch it. Don't even let them get that far as to where the bud opens into a flower. (If you are looking for your plant to stay in vegetative mode and keep bulking up on new growth) If you are looking to have it stay the size it is and have a few fruits hanging from it, then let it be.

The fact is, what are your intentions? It's in a solo cup, I imagine that wasn't (when you first started) where you were planning on making it's home. It's early in the season and if that is an Annuum (which I believe you are right) than you have plenty of time to pinch those and get 10 times the yield more towards the end of the season.

This is the whole reason we start these plants early, so they can get big and produce tons of pods for us at the end of the year. If we wanted small plants that flowered at 8-10 inches and produced 8 pods....we would just plant the seed in the ground at the end of may.....Good luck buddy.

Since pinching is the subject here, I will ask a question in response to what I have been told about budding.
The goal is to separate fact from fiction. My plants, all supers, are near maturity and it is only May.
I have been told once you pinch buds they will not regrow on the same branch in the same spot.

Is this true or false ?

Thanks...

Ghosty...

True. Plants only produce flowers at a node, where branching occurs. If you pluck that bud then nothing can grow at that exact point again.

True. Plants only produce flowers at a node, where branching occurs. If you pluck that bud then nothing can grow at that exact point again.

OK millworkman, I pinch and continue pinching until the huge plant goes outside, more branching occurs and on those new nodes you get new buds, flowers, pods. What happens if I wait till they flower before pinching, again while the plant is still indoors ? Same result ? Just less energy into producing new leaves, branches, right ?

Ghosty...

Ok, don't laugh, due to exposing some of my plants to an intensity level with my grow tent/high intensity HPS light I have some leaves that turned brown and withered when put outside (partial shade) to be hardened. On the damaged plants I pinched off between 10 - 15% of the leaves in different spots, some far apart, some closer together, so some branches are a bit sparse. I will post pics later today to show you what I mean. Can I expect that new leaves will sprout out of the damaged areas ? This is a first for me so I don't know what to expect. Thanks...

Ghosty... :cry:

Hey Ghosty don'tcha worry bout it ya know! It is going to bush out from anywhere leaves drop off. You are going to be completely surprised and love it.

Hey Ghosty don'tcha worry bout it ya know! It is going to bush out from anywhere leaves drop off. You are going to be completely surprised and love it.
3/5 I will take your word for it for now, if it doesn't I am going to hunt you down where you live, lol, after all this effort it would kill me to lose a plant or production from one because of sunburn.

Ghosty...

ID the little Bastard! we want to know who the babies daddy is! Jerry! Jerry!

Grow it out enough to ID it then it wont be a mystery plant! then pull of any buds until it gets 1-2' tall.

BTW, looks like you had a good time, PAM and Tequila! Talk about a party.

Back