• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pinching buds

Hey guys, I live in an apartment, so I dont want my plants to be huge meaning no more then 4ft tall. Half of my plants are producing buds (no flowers yet) and most of the plants are around 6" tall, except for my y7 pot which is about 8 " tall. My question is do you think I should pinch the buds to promote more growth? I am very anxious for my first peppers and like I said I dont want them to be over 4 ft tall. I will be transplanting the other 8 plants into 5 gal pots soon, which will be the final pot

you will get arguments from both sides, but i have found that pinching the buds causes the plant to just spit out more buds
and not as much foliage as you would think. in you case i would pinch off the buds till you transplant them into their final home then let them grow as they wish. maybe even pinch the buds off a couple plants and let a few others grow and see what your results are.

i pinch the buds till they are in the final home then let the do what they want

you will get arguments from both sides, but i have found that pinching the buds causes the plant to just spit out more buds
and not as much foliage as you would think. in you case i would pinch off the buds till you transplant them into their final home then let them grow as they wish. maybe even pinch the buds off a couple plants and let a few others grow and see what your results are.

i pinch the buds till they are in the final home then let the do what they want

Hmmm sounds like a good suggestion thanks! Also how do I pinch them off? lol I have never done it or seen it done, so I dont know where to pinch

i actually bought some small bonsai clippers and i snip the off as close to the base as possible but in the past i would grab the bud and twist and it would come off, in a few days the stem would dry up and fall off. so really does not matter in my mind.

+1 on the other comments.
A good healthy 4 ft tall plant has about a 3+ ft "foot print", so your apartment will be getting real crowded this summer.

Good luck!!

What sort of lighting do you use? Any pics?
I bet if you leave them alone, your next question will be why are my flowers dropping.
I'd leave C. chinenses alone, they will usually drop early flowers on their own without pinching.

What sort of lighting do you use? Any pics?
I bet if you leave them alone, your next question will be why are my flowers dropping.
I'd leave C. chinenses alone, they will usually drop early flowers on their own without pinching.

Ok thanks! I'm using a 400 w 7200K MH hooded light theres a pic of it in my glog. Thanks for the advice

Back