• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

recipe-help Pineapple juice or chopped pineapple / caramelized onions or raw onions.

Hi,

I am brand new to fermentation and I am planning to make my first fermented hot sauce, I would like to try to use a mash but I have a couple of questions. The main three ingredients of my mash will be jalapenos, pineapple and onions.

1. Has anyone tried to add caramelized onions to a mash instead of raw onions?

2. One all of my ingredients are incorporated into the mash, can I submerge the mash in pineapple juice instead of water? Would the sugar content be a problem for the fermentation?

3. During the fermentation process, are most of the sugars in pineapple and its juice, consumed to the point that the sweetness will be greatly diminished by the end of fermentation? If so is there also a reduction in the potency of the flavor of fruits added to a mash?

4. In addition to adding vinegar to a sauce to reach the proper PH before bottling, can other liquids such as juice be added as well or will a juice start to turn to alcohol over time?

5. What are the benefits of long term fermentation on of flavor or aroma. Once a sauce has finished an initial 2 week ferment, what broad changes would I notice at the 1 month, 6 month and 1 year mark.

6. Am I correct in believing that I do not NEED a starter for a mash. I can just create the mash, throw in a fermentation weight, twist on a fermentation lid and let it do its thing, right?

Thank you for taking the time to read, and/or answer any of my noob questions.

Back