• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Pineapple seedling

Hi all,

I was eating a pineapple the other day and found a couple of small seeds. I think I have seen them before, but never paid much attention.

It's sort of hard for me to find seeds of any kind and not try to sprout them, so I took them home and put them in a moist paper towel in a tupperware. After a week or so, I noticed one of them was sprouting so I threw it in a little pot and here it is about a week after that.

I think it will be a while before I get any fruit, and I know I can grow them from the tops, but I've never grown one from seed, so I wanted to try.

Have fun, and keep experimenting!

mushroombob

P.S. I cant figur eout how to post a pic. Do I need more posts or something?

Thanks

Bad news, I went on vacation so I put the plant in a self-watering container.

Then i got back, all was well, but stupid me left the plant in the self watering pot.

A couple weeks later I noticed a fungus gnat (and larva) in the pot, and I looked closely at the seedling. The root had been eaten by fungus gnat larva and the plant is now gone.......

I was really disappointed.

as for where the seed was, I had already cut up the pineapple and it was sitting in the bottom of my tupperware. I think they are pretty close to the skin.

they are very small and black. I will be looking for more. I have plants growing from tops, but I am weird and want to grow some from seed.

on a happier note, I just harvested my first rice:

I'd be interested to see one as a seedling.. I have a pretty decent sized pineapple plant for the size of the pot its in. I started it from the top of course. Post pics if you decide to try again!

Here is the Pineapple I have sprouted with the wet paper towel method.

12e2e66ab56513a875b2cd5da411db04_zps7589d7cf.jpg

Here is the same seed soaking in a cup.

fe9ef89b74f487b3fd6e09aa2ce051e3_zps971898e4.jpg

Here it is on end of butter knife ready to put into soil.

51d0018fdc4ada7455cef482edae8865_zps03e60d5e.jpg

Here is the seedling in potting soil. These pics are about 2 weeks old.

d68f555ace7f781c64711c5b57f7529a_zps3d80a8df.jpg

I tried growing just the top, and it rotted.

mushroombob said:
nice! I am wanting to try again. where did you find the seed? in a store-bought pineapple?
Yes, it is a store bought pineapple. I had a hot chili contest I entered, and I added pineapple to sweeten it up. All puréed. Tasted very good. 17 quarts of chili. I split the batch in 2 before I heated it up. The mild was for the kids. It won Best Tasting 1st place.

For the other half of the batch I added 2 Trinidad Moruga Scorpion peppers I grew. I also added about 20 Thai peppers I grew. The chili had some bite after about 5 second of eating it. The heat lasted for about 15 seconds. A little burn on the tongue, and a lot going back towards your throat. It was almost deceiving. I took second place for the hottest. My friend who won first had chili like soup. Watery, but hot as hell. I think he used extract to make it hot. The judges actuall liked mine better, but it was not the hottest. After tasting my friends you could not taste anything for about 20 minutes. I will win the hottest this next year with my Carolina Reaper peppers.

If you dig thru the pineapple yellow flesh close to the skin within about 1 inch you will find small black seed. I think I found about 22 seeds in the pineapple. I tried growing the top of the pineapple, but it only went moldy and rotted. Seed was much better.

cut the skin off the pineapple and you look behind each "eye" of the pineapple. you can usually find them in the lower half of the fruit because they dont get to ripen on the plant. 

I just put my second sprouted Pineapple seed in potting soil. These plants seem to grow very slow. Even sprouting took almost a month. Very hard outside coating. I nicked both of the sprouted seeds with a scalpel before I soaked them. Be careful they are small. You may take a finger off. I will post pics in the morning.

Back