• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Pineapple Top...

I've read about this and told myself if I was able to find a pineapple for cheap I would give this a go. Just so happened I was able to buy a pineapple for .99 at my local Kroger during an in store sale. Hopefully this works!

11Feb2012_Pineapple.jpg

-J

Right on. It looks like pretty good instructions. I did a couple 10+ years ago. never got fruit and let them die. Bromeliads are fun to grow.

We have at least 3.. they have some pretty good growth for the window box area we have them.

I leave my big lights for my peppers.

Its a while before you see a pineapple. lol

don't you wrap a bag around it with an apple and seal it up in order for it to flower...?

i read that somewhere...

I wonder if putting rooting hormone on the stalk would help the rooting process? I'm gonna give this a go, hopefully pineapples are cheap up here in the middle of winter lol

Haha, brings me back to my days in the produce department... I had plenty of science experiments going in a box behind the prep area in the backroom. This was when we were a smaller family-owned chain and I could get away with walking out with scraps. My experience has been that the pineapple tops still need to be fairly green and firm for them to be healthy in the long run... but yours might still work.

I'm also growing pineapples from tops. First one I rooted in water. Seemed like it took forever but now it's in soil and new leaves are sprouting which is way cool. Have another top i just put straight into a pot. We'll see if that's faster rooting.

My first was a bust but the second has been in soil for some time now... slow growers I've noticed haha but none the less have new leaves pushing through the middle...

-J

Yup. Slow growers indeed. Now mangoes on the other hand sprouts fast! Had to pot up 3 yesterday and have 3 more to do soon!

It's so awesome to watch things grow.

By the way, what happened to the first one? Too old? Moldy?

With the first one I think it was more that I let it get to ripe before digging into it. It went south pretty quickly and never had more than a nub of a white root pushing through and once that went brown in the trash it went haha. The second one I did things slightly different and within two weeks I had multiple roots showing.

-J

Nice! I had one that was too ripe and it molded. Now i check the middle leaves to make sure they're green and healthy before buying. Can't wait to see it fruit.

Back