• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pinhighs "bit of everything" 19/20

After not posting a glog in about 4 years I decided with the lack of southern hemisphere activity it was time!

My grow is very different now to what it was 4 years ago. I am now bound by lack of space, so my grow is small, but varied.

So my grow list for this year is as follows:

-pimenta de padron
-el oro de ecuador
-bishops crown
-Brazilian pumpkin
-starfish
-numex twilight
-sugar rush peach (long)
-pink tiger x peach bhut
-podzilla choc x
-leviathan gnarly scorpion
-bhut jolokia giant choc
-bhut jolokia Assam raja peach
-Thai birds eye

Second (late) round
-Sherwood's carboruga yellow
-reaper x SRTSL
-Scotch bonnet WHP
-scotch bonnet MOA
-umorok
-Trinidad scorpion moruga yellow
-scotch bonnet WHP 2
-super bhut jolokia JW
-bhut jolokia solid gold x pink tiger
-faria
-scotch bonnet peach
-bahamian goat
-scotch bonnet foodarama
-scotch bonnet Beth Boyd
-bahamian beast red

The early round was started in July and all had sprouted in mid August. I mainly use rockwool and then transplant into either kratky or coir/perlite depending on where I have planned their future (hydro or soil).
20190819_173032.jpg

Plant out was on the 7th of October. Mixture of in ground, Kratky, containers and modified NFT hydro.
20191007_174543.jpg
20191007_174653.jpg

20191007_174620.jpg

Fast forward to now and the plants are all doing great. We did have a week of 40+ deg celcius weather, but the plants have done well.

That Padron should be a tad spicy. They will
get large and red if you let them. I have had
Padrones from Spanish seed get almost Poblano 
pepper big. I usually pick them green at about
4-6 cm in length. Perfect for roasting and salting!

PaulG said:
That Padron should be a tad spicy. They will
get large and red if you let them. I have had
Padrones from Spanish seed get almost Poblano 
pepper big. I usually pick them green at about
4-6 cm in length. Perfect for roasting and salting!
That sounds about right. Thanks

Today, an update on my in-ground plants.

My other leviathan gnarly scorpion looks completely different to my hydro one. I'm not sure it's the right pheno as it's very pale green, almost like a lot of peach varieties start out, but the shape is cool.
20200205_182702.jpg

Bishops crowns are massive and are enjoying life.
20200205_182732.jpg

Brazilian pumpkin coming along well.
20200205_182746.jpg

El oro de Ecuador has peppers everywhere.
20200205_182444.jpg

Pink tiger x peach bhut looking good.
20200205_182831.jpg

My bhut jolokia Assam raja is not right.... I have had these seeds for about 6 years and never grown them, not too worried. Anyone got any ideas? Looks suspiciously like a moruga scorpion to me...
20200205_182813.jpg

Some plants have a bit of sunburn, but 40+C will do that, not stressed. Next update will definitely include a harvest of some description!

Pods looking good, PH. When those color up,
you will have some awesome harvests.The Pink
Tiger cross looks especially mean!

:party:   :woohoo:

Still two-thirds to go!

What are you looking for in a phenotype, PH?

Pinhigh said:
Thanks! Very glad I don't have to deal with the weather you do. It gets pretty hot here, but I can deal with that.

The weather here is just kind of irritating. The season isn't terribly long and it gets interrupted by a stretch of "too hot for anything to grow." Hopefully this year I can figure out some kind of shade; my balcony sucks for that, nowhere to attach anything. Ah well, still got my tent.

Update time!

Been busy with work, but had some time today to harvest some ripe peppers and process them.

Took off 1 kg of gnarly leviathan scorpions from my hydro plant. Still heaps on the plant too.
20200227_192028.jpg

Half a kilo of sugar rush peach. Still a couple of kilos worth on the plant.
20200227_192117.jpg

Thai dragon
20200227_192153.jpg

Podzilla red
20200227_192206.jpg

Some ripe padron
20200227_192138.jpg

Couple of choc bhuts
20200227_192223.jpg

I kept the choc bhuts to eat fresh as I haven't tried them yet. I cleaned up/destalked the rest and am trying the vacuum pack ferment method, all with 2% salt.
I mixed the Thai dragon and Padrons together with some garlic. The podzilla red got some garlic too. Then I left the leviathans and the sugar rush peach plain with the salt. Will see how it all goes. I also kept the best of the phenos and put them in the dehydrator.

20200227_192100.jpg

I think I'll make sauce out of most of the fermented peppers, but I might try and dehydrate some too. I also have 3 or 4 times as many peppers still on my hydro plants, plus I haven't even touched my in ground plants yet and they are loaded too. Good times!

Nice pickins PH. They all look great, but the leviathan looks a little scary lol.

It'll be interesting how your vacuum ferments come out. I'm an old school fermenter, so I'll be paying attention.

By the way, how's the tepeche?

Pinhigh said:
I kept the choc bhuts to eat fresh as I haven't tried them yet. I cleaned up/destalked the rest and am trying the vacuum pack ferment method, all with 2% salt.
I mixed the Thai dragon and Padrons together with some garlic. The podzilla red got some garlic too. Then I left the leviathans and the sugar rush peach plain with the salt. Will see how it all goes.

Dude, this is freaking cool. Definitely looking forward to seeing how those come out; it could be a lifesaver for my limited processing space... more Mason jars for brine ferments just are not going to cut it with my wife at this point.

+1 ‘Fish!

That looks like a cool method for fermenting.
Will be interesting to see how it works out for
you, PH.

Back