• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pink Tiger seedlings... which one to keep?

So I started a handful of Pink Tiger seedlings (thanks standbyandfire) and they are showing some variation.  I was hoping someone with experience growing these could weigh in on this question:

I have some seedlings with green cotyledons and others with purple cotyledons... from your experience growing these, do either of these indicate one will turn out more true than the other?

I have ever grown them twice.
there is no bit diffrence between green and purple cotyledons. Pods turn the same, but without tiger stripes.
I don't know why.

Cheers,
teguh

geeme said:
If you're not limited due to space constraints (or whatever) why don't you just keep all of them? True or not, it never hurts to have more production, IMO.

Haha, yeah, there's that... but one of them is going to get pampered, while the rest will just be kept alive...

I believe it's BEST to grow them both out and see what you get.Hopefully at least one delivers what you want or expect.Just my opinion,and what I'd do.Good luck to you whatever you finally decide to do.

mpicante said:
I believe it's BEST to grow them both out and see what you get.Hopefully at least one delivers what you want or expect.Just my opinion,and what I'd do.Good luck to you whatever you finally decide to do.

Yeah, I'll grow two of these out...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Jamison said:
My purple coty seedlings grew the right pheno.  I had one green cotyledon  seedling that grew some weird looking red pods. 

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Lol... sorry jamison ...all of them seeds came from Enrico. .

I did get a bunch o seeds from local buddy had had true to type pink tigers..

Yeah, they're not yet a pure-line variety.  You guys have any sense of which F generation it's at?

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Lol... sorry jamison ...all of them seeds came from Enrico. .

I did get a bunch o seeds from local buddy had had true to type pink tigers..

Have any pictures of the fruit?

Spicegeist said:

Yeah, they're not yet a pure-line variety.  You guys have any sense of which F generation it's at?

This has to be one of the most unstable plants I have seen.  I am not sure why that is,but I think the neyde was originally an annuum/chinense hybrid.  I have  seeds from 3 sources sent to me and haven't grown any of them because of the chaos I have seen. The original Pimenta Elisa/Tiger would have been close to being stabilized by now,but with all these seeds getting passed around,who knows what you are going to get.  I have not seen anyone(doesn't mean it didn't happen) back crossing/selecting and growing 100's of plants to legitimately stabilize these. It's hard to find photos of 100% ripe pods also. Most of the pics I have seen are grungy HDR shots,or have these fantasy filters attatched to them.  I want to see some with a legit white balance and a number of fruit layed out,or a progression of shots.
KiNGDeNNiZ said:
I'd say f3
Since Enrico sent seeds from his plant f1... my buddy a ex grew them f2...and thus year f3?

Growing out a variety as unstable as this year after year is not guarenteeing you anything. At F-1,a ton of plants should be grown and desirable offspring bred,and so on. The larger the selection to choose from,the better chance of finding stability.

John... i PMd you on Fb

Totally agree with you as my buddy was one of a few hundred that got lucky. . This plant is unstable as heck. He's offweed me a mother plant. .. but have yet to get it

As you can tell no special effects or filters... he has 3/4 proproducing same pods... unfortunately. His plants are OP.. and are about 6" from all the other plants

KiNGDeNNiZ said:

Is this what they look like before they're ripe... does it ripen from purple to white?  Or is this what they look like past white?  What do they look like fully ripe?

:drooling:  real curious how mine are going to turn out... I have about six or so seedling, maybe I'll just keep 5 of them in 1-gallon pots just in case I get a winner.

Back