• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Piri Piri / Malagueta?

Are Piri Piri and Malagueta peppers the same or different species? I am getting conflicting information from my searches so far. If different, any seed source for the Piri Piri (have the Malagueta covered). I want to grow and supply the correct pepper for making piri piri sauce to a friend this season. TIA.

Yes, I viewed the Piri Piri link you cited. The confusion arises because there is this (Malagueta PI 497984).
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=malag&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

Thus arises my initial question. If the two are essentially interchangeable (both frutescens) then I'm good with the Malagueta's in that they appear to be a lot easier to find (i.e. Pepperlover). I will just grow those and move along. However, if there indeed true piri piri peppers, those are what I would try to obtain. Perhaps a distinction without a difference? The issue has arisen because of a rather lenghty discussion yesterday on making Piri Piri sauce. She knew that I knew a little something about peppers and wanted to make her own sauce instead of paying $$ to purchase. This is just an attempt on my part to supply her with the "real deal".

Back