• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pistachio-shells as mulch?

Hello,

Been eating quite a few pistachios and saved all the shells, anyone tried using them as mulch on pepper/tomatoe plants (rinsed and cleaned of all salt ofc)?

I wouldn't even bother to wash them, TBH.  But while they may not be hugely beneficial, they certainly aren't going to hurt.  I'd be inclined to use them top dressed in containers, to help keep the surface temp down.  And to keep nutrients from being flushed out by rain. (it breaks up the flow, a bit)
I've tossed them on the ground around plants, in the past.

solid7 said:

Always a yes.

Can they be used like pine fines in the mix..?

Wouldn't want to use them on top surface of containers as that would drive the squirrels nuts in all my containers.... Actually now that I've thought about it, imo don't think any nut shell on top surface of containers/beds where 'nutters' are present would be wise. Unless you're looking for target practice... :P

Thanks, cleaned the shells and scattered them around as top-mulch in a 1 inch layer on my only 5 plants.. Hopefully they'll survive :). Hoping to get a more stable moisture "boil-off". (Potted plants on balcony)

Back