• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PJ's 2012 Glog with a Kaleidoscope of Colored Peppers

This is my second season growing superhots. I decided to branch out and grow some tasty peppers that others will enjoy. I've been collecting and buying seeds busily!

So i decided to start my seeds early-mid january since last frost date last year was in early april. Here is my list. Some i bought, some i got for free from the amazing THP members! Thanks again all,

seedlist2012.jpg

I'll be germinating my seeds in cups. I had great success last year using this method. Once they sprout, i'll move them to my 72 plug seed tray. I'm using gardener's supply germinating mix. It has very fine peat, vermiculite, and trace minerals and is pH balanced. Once they get their true leaves, i'll move them to 3.5x5 inch pots (P86D) and 1 pint root pouches (just to experiment). After that they will go into their 5, 7, 10 gallon root pouches and plastic nursery pots.

I started the kashmiri seeds 1 weeks ago to see if the dried pods' seeds i got from UK were viable. They were! So these were the first to go into the 72 plug tray.

I have some plants in the garage under flourscents that are overwintering since november. They are brain strain, red bhut jolokia and chocolate bhut, red and yellow 7pods, fatalli, and a bhut-habanero hybrid. Also some annums like serrano and kung pao just to see if it works
icon_mrgreen.gif

I dedicated one room in the house as my "plant room". Pretty bare bone, its a 48 inch wide, 7 foot tall steel rack. 2 of the shelves each have 4 T12 GE aquarium and plant flourscent bulbs. I have a heat mat where they cups are sitting on to help in the germination.

The Plant Room
P1020660.jpg

The Seeds in their cups
P1020667.jpg

The Kashmiri Mirch in their 72 plug tray, i'm using little cups as a "dome" to keep humidity in. Using foil to cover the other plugs so water doesn't just evaporate away making the germinating mix really dry and also keeps it from growing algae.
P1020666.jpg

Lets see how it goes! Wish me luck!

the stems on your overwinters are like trees.

Nice gro-pots operation you got going there, cant wait to see more!

Thanks all for the compliments. Here are today's updates!

Here's a overall shot
P1020855.jpg

Purple bhut branching out!
P1020858.jpg

White Hab is loaded with flowers and few pods
P1020859.jpg

My fave, Chiero Roxa
P1020860.jpg

Cheiro Roxa Flower
P1020863.jpg

Bishops Crown Flower
P1020864.jpg

Aji Limon Flower
P1020865.jpg

Thanks for looking!

And here's a 2 part tour video of my garden so far! Enjoy!

Pepper Grow Tour Part (1 / 2)

Pepper Grow Tour Part (2 / 2)

Thanks for looking!

Great stuff PJ! You're getting ready to be loaded down with pods! Woot!

Thanks STC! Yea i can't wait for the pods to start rolling in! :)

Excellent grow log, PJ! Very impressed with your outdoor set up
from the frame to the drip on weed cloth set-up. Very clean and
efficient looking! Not to mention how great the plants, flowers,
and pods look! Keep up the good work and updates!

Hey PJ, I am really interested in your potting mix. I am using PROMIX, but it is too heavy and am gonna amend it. I like the way you have yours set up, and wanted to know if you would do anything different now that you have used it for a few weeks. Does it drain well, is the vermiculite "heavy"? Looks like a sea of green, so the ferts seem to be working.

Thanks!

Nice video. How many plants in total do you have?

Around 70 plants or so. I have some serranos in my raised bed too.

Hey PJ, I am really interested in your potting mix. I am using PROMIX, but it is too heavy and am gonna amend it. I like the way you have yours set up, and wanted to know if you would do anything different now that you have used it for a few weeks. Does it drain well, is the vermiculite "heavy"? Looks like a sea of green, so the ferts seem to be working.

Thanks!

Yea, it gets heavy even with the vermiculite i added. Plus side is i dont need to water so often. I imagine when they get bigger, ill be watering them regularly. Right now i pick up one pot, if it feels light, i just turn on water manually for 10 min @ 1GPH. I would add something to make it more airy when watered,maybe some perilite. Eventhoughit gets heavy, plants seem to be doing fine so far.

Pod pics update

Brain strain overwinter turning red
P1020887.jpg

Purple bhut
P1020888.jpg

Red bhut
P1020890.jpg

C. Galapogoense
P1020891.jpg

Fatalli
P1020894.jpg

Cheiro Recife
P1020898.jpg

Chocolate scorp
P1020901.jpg

Yellow scorp
P1020904.jpg

Serrano del sol
P1020908.jpg

Cheiro roxa
P1020909.jpg

Zapotec jalapeno
P1020910.jpg

Kashmiri mirch
P1020911.jpg

Round peppercinio
P1020917.jpg

Bishops crown
P1020921.jpg

Here is today's update. It ranined quite alot last night. Flooding here and there. Plants were all fine. All happy to get some fresh rain water on them. Woke up early and took some pics of all the pods with rain drops on them. Looks really cool.

Birds eye view
P1030024.jpg

10 gallon root pouches are awesome. My brain strains and fatallis are doing great. Much bigger than the 5 gallon one.
P1030016.jpg

Bishops crown
P1030010.jpg

Peppadew
P1030009.jpg

7pod overwinter, it was yellow last year, but orange now???? I never had anything grow orange last year.
P1030005.jpg

Cheiro Roxa
P1020998.jpg

Datil
P1020994.jpg

Yellow Trinidad scorpion cardi
P1020993.jpg

Pink Habanero, they are so clustered so closely
P1020991.jpg

Yellow 7pod, there's a monster yellow 7pod in there. Its HUGE! gonna save seeds for that one for sure.
P1020990.jpg

Thanks for posting and for the compliments romy, i can finish the rest of the pics. Slideshow link also below fore even more pics. THP has a limit per posting :(

Chocolate scorpions
P1020988.jpg

Fatalli
P1020984.jpg

Yellow Brain Strain
P1020983.jpg

Brain Strain cmpman
P1020982.jpg

Brain Strain cappy
P1020981.jpg

Red Bhut
P1020978.jpg

Papa Joe's Scotch Bonnet
P1020977.jpg

Purple Bhut
P1020976.jpg

Galapagoense
P1020974.jpg

Here's a link to more pod pics, almost 40+ pod pics as a slide show. Don't want to over burden our modem users :)

http://w1219.photobu...12/d32fcac4.pbw

I cannot like this enough! Everything looks freaking amazing! I swear, I can't wait to have my plants blow up like this! I love how my plants look after they a good rain, but I can't wait to see my pods after a good rain!

Thanks for the pics

I am using 10 gallon Viagrow fabric pots, seem pretty nice. Thinking the fabrics are the way to go.

Very nice plants, I have ripe douglah, red 7 pots, and butch t pods.

glad everything is doing well after the rain last night. they were saying we got 9" of it!

my rain gauge maxed out at 6"

looking good!

Back