• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Planned crosses

I think this topic comes up frequently throughout the season....
Planning on trying a few crosses.... Some seeds I have that I'm considering on using for crosses...
PDN
Yellow fatali
Butch T
BBG7 brown
White habanero
Yellow SBJ7

Looking more for the pink tiger traits but not the pink tiger, I have seeds for those from some non-striped pods from romy6.
Are there any known crosses with these? Any specifics desired?
What crosses are you considering, just for fun?

Here's some controlled pollination's I've done so far this year. Think I got everything I wanted done, now just waiting on pods to ripen.

Caramel moruga x pink tiger
Caramel moruga x Maui purple
Caramel moruga x (caramel moruga x red bubblegum)
Caramel moruga x 7 pod orange x
Chocolate bubblegum x pink tiger
Chocolate bubblegum x 7 pod orange x
Chocolate bubblegum x caramel moruga 
Chocolate bubblegum x Maui purple
Chocolate bubblegum x cgn21566
Pink tiger x 7 pod orange x
Pink tiger x caramel moruga
Pink tiger x chocolate bubblegum
Peach Bhut x chocolate bubblegum
Peach bhut x maui purple
Hot rod serrano x maui purple
Rocopica x Rocoto # 1 from lima market
Rocoto # 1 x rocopica 
Rocopica x yellow manzano
CGN215xxx(purple pheno) X chocolate bubblegum

FreeportBum said:
Here's some controlled pollination's I've done so far this year. Think I got everything I wanted done, now just waiting on pods to ripen.

Caramel moruga x pink tiger
Caramel moruga x Maui purple
Caramel moruga x (caramel moruga x red bubblegum)
Caramel moruga x 7 pod orange x
Chocolate bubblegum x pink tiger
Chocolate bubblegum x 7 pod orange x
Chocolate bubblegum x caramel moruga 
Chocolate bubblegum x Maui purple
Chocolate bubblegum x cgn21566
Pink tiger x 7 pod orange x
Pink tiger x caramel moruga
Pink tiger x chocolate bubblegum
Peach Bhut x chocolate bubblegum
Peach bhut x maui purple
Hot rod serrano x maui purple
Rocopica x Rocoto # 1 from lima market
Rocoto # 1 x rocopica 
Rocopica x yellow manzano
CGN215xxx(purple pheno) X chocolate bubblegum
That's an amazing list of creations.

I'm working on some crosses this summer. A few i'm really excited about and others that just aren't taking. Keep trying the serrano x aji pineapple and MOA bonnet x bahamian goat but they just don't want to cooperate.

Here's my crossing glog. It's long winded.. I make no apologies   :P   

What I got so far

None of my fidalga roxa crosses germinated. I had crossed it with limon, bolsa de dulce and white fatalii.
Butch T yellow X Bahamian Goat -2 pods growing
Bahamian Goat X Butch T Y. 1pod
White Fatalii x Bolsa de Dulce - no germ
Lemon drop x inca berry - 2 ready to harvest and deseed
Amarillo X Caribbean red hab - one pod growing painfully slow
What was supposed to be 7pot yellow bs but was a unknown cross (bell maybe) X limon -no germs yet
Not 7pot Yellow bs X Butch T Yellow - 2 seedlings popped yesterday
Aji pineapple X Butch T yellow 2 pods growing
Paper lantern hab X Butch T Yellow - 2 pods forming.

Those are the ones that have taken so far.
Many others I keep trying.

Wicked Mike said:

It's amazing, the things you can do with photo editing software these days :rofl:

Someday, though...

lol yeah I've already blended (photoshoped) a few peppers I have crossed to predict my ultimate pheno of the two =P

almost forgot my CAP 455 x maui purple and CAP 455 x pink tiger crosses. The CAP 455 are amazing plants and peppers, I would recommend to anyone who like's baccatums. 

I will probably mess around with a few more things before the season is over  ;)  next year and this winter are going to be really fun and exciting. 

Thoughts on Aji amarillo X Orange wild brazil ? I just dusted 3 flowers. Curious that if it took how they may express.

I been trying to read on genetics (or falling asleep while reading)

I get that red is dominant

but two oranges should produce an orange color still right?

What about shape, what's dominant shape wise? Pendant, round ect.

Same question for heat, is a higher heat dominant or lesser? I'm going to assume lesser here but then again reaper was a cross of two much lower heat pods. 

I been out of school for 19 years, basically have to go back and start at ground zero to follow most these scientific papers. 

If I remember right from everything I've read, smaller is dominate to larger as is lower heat is dominate to higher heat, not sure on the shapes though.... However, I expect size and heat are determined by a series of genes, like color, rather than the classic single pair offering only one or the other in traits.
To further complicate things, I thought I remembered reading how the degree of some traits is determined by the exact location of genes.

From my color readings, orange is a result of red dominance but lacking dominance of one of two intensity genes. In comparison, white is the result of a lack of dominance of all three. And yellow is like red, intensity dominance on both pairs.
So as far as the orange parents, if they are both 100% stable as orange, they will always produce orange.
rhm3769 said:
I think this topic comes up frequently throughout the season....
Planning on trying a few crosses.... Some seeds I have that I'm considering on using for crosses...
PDN
Yellow fatali
Butch T
BBG7 brown
White habanero
Yellow SBJ7

Looking more for the pink tiger traits but not the pink tiger, I have seeds for those from some non-striped pods from romy6.
Are there any known crosses with these? Any specifics desired?
What crosses are you considering, just for fun?
A bit late for the season, but I'm thinking of starting these, crossing whichever ones are ready together and overwinter them....

Back