• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Plant dying, white hair and bugs under leafs?

Can anyone help my 4 months old chilli plants? The leafs are all curling upward and a bit yellow, I feed them "Powerfeed" once a fortnight so I think nutrition deficiency is not the case?

This morning I placed one of the leaf under my microscope and I am shocked (below are the 500x snap shots taken):

1.White bugs circle in red color running around, they not easy to capture under the scope, and is not possible to see them by eye, (I will say they have a size of less than 0.1mm):
pest_zps2e6d271a.jpg

And there are lot of white hair around the veins under the leafs (and some on the stem),
pest1_zps864fbad6.jpg

plants_zps0ff926f9.jpg

The plants were grow from seed and the leafs start curling upward since Christmas (summer)
They are outdoor and temperature around 28~42C night and day

Could anybody ever experience this kind of problem or has any idea of the the bug is and what is those 'white hair'? And how to fix it?
Any help appreciated.

what kid of peppers are they?
What is powerfeed? does it contain micronutrients?

The tiny bugs are most likely Broad mites, or a relative. The hairs look like hairs, which are common on some chilis.

Check your soil and make sure its not getting waterlogged. Heavy caked, compacted soil is bad. The soil should be light and airy and semi-fast draining.

Hairs normal and being that tiny I would suspect broad mite for the bugs (but could be russet mite or another kind.) I am not a Entomologist so couldn't tell you for certain but broad mites seems a logical first guess.
42C is also very hot for them. .... maybe find a cooler spot

Like everyone else is saying the white hairs are fine. You definitely have a mite issue, fast little suckers aren't they? You need to find some shade for the plants, they're getting cooked. At those temps getting pods will be next to impossible due to flower drop. Right now all you want to do is keep the plants alive so they can produce when it's cooler. Ease up on the fertilizer too.

1. Kill the mites.
2. Get them some shade
3. Keep them well watered and stop the ferts.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the help, glad to know the hair is normal, I thought is is some kind of fungi
For the mites, I will look out for the solution on the Internet, smile

I have brought some pest oil from bunnings and applied it last night
This morning I found some of the leafs been burnt, seems like they are having a very bad fight
So, how to tell if the chemical worked or not?
Will the curled leafs return to normal shape?
Why all the chemicals stated for spider mite but nothing for broad mites? Would the spider mite killer kills broad mites as well?

wettable or lime sulphur are the best organic miticides for broadmite but can't be used in temps over 32C .
As for chemical (non organic) I have no idea as I have never used one.
Others have had issues with pest oil (eco oil in this case) causing leaf drop and plant damage.

never use oils on your plants in high heat, unless you want to cook them.

I would seriously get those plants into some cool shade, water them well, rinse the remaining leaves off gently and consider using Abamectin after the plants recover a bit from all the stress.

You won't be getting any peppers from those plants until the temps stay in the lower 80's at night anyway so just concentrate on keeping it alive until fall comes around for you.

+1 on thegreenman.

Never apply anything to leaves in the high heat and/or sun. Recipe for disaster. Would you butter up your arm then go lay in the sun? Leaves can get sunburned, trust me I know I do it every year. I get in a hurry to harden off my plants and always rush it.

Thank you gentleman for the comments
I have checked one of the leaf under the microscope and I can't find any bugs now..but the after match looks bad
Do you know if the curled leafs will return to its normal shape once all the mites are gone? I am just wondering how to tell if the problem been solved..

Back