• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

plant genetics question

I have a question concerning plant genetics if a brown/chocolate pepper crosses with an yellow pepper would the F1 peppers form that cross be red?

Plantguy76 said:
I have a question concerning plant genetics if a brown/chocolate pepper crosses with an yellow pepper would the F1 peppers form that cross be red?

Yes red, provided that both are stable varieties.

The 2 traits in play:
Brown is recessive to not-brown (from yellow parent).
Yellow is recessive to red (from brown parent).

Have tried it with a cross of Chocolate Hab. and Lemon Drop.

HAJ said:

The 2 traits in play:

Thanks HAJ
I am planing to grow the Trinidad Brown Bonnet & the (Moa Yellow Bonnet again ) next year & was thinking they might make a good cross & would be a bonnet to bonnet cross

I have 6 chocolate habs plus an over winter from last year. All of my choco plants are from seeds I saved last year. One of the choco habs is kicking out red pods.

The only plants I grew last year was red Caribbean, mustard hab and chocolate hab. Based on what I had, do we think the choco crossed with a caribe or is it possible it reverted to red on its own? Could it have crossed with a mustard since those have some yellow? The pods start dark green like my chocos, have the same shape, but turn red. Tons of oil in these too, more than I've seen in any of the 20+ varieties I have this year.

Genetikx said:
I have 6 chocolate habs plus an over winter from last year. All of my choco plants are from seeds I saved last year. One of the choco habs is kicking out red pods.

The only plants I grew last year was red Caribbean, mustard hab and chocolate hab. Based on what I had, do we think the choco crossed with a caribe or is it possible it reverted to red on its own? Could it have crossed with a mustard since those have some yellow? The pods start dark green like my chocos, have the same shape, but turn red. Tons of oil in these too, more than I've seen in any of the 20+ varieties I have this year.

Getting complicated here  :think:

First, since brown is recessive, it should not be possible to revert to red, unless crossed.

Second, the only candidate should be the Red Caribbean, since both Mustard and Chocolate hab. has the brown trait. 

This is my guess. But who knows what the plants are up to, when we are not looking ...

HAJ said:

Getting complicated here  :think:

First, since brown is recessive, it should not be possible to revert to red, unless crossed.

Second, the only candidate should be the Red Caribbean, since both Mustard and Chocolate hab. has the brown trait. 

This is my guess. But who knows what the plants are up to, when we are not looking ...
Thanks, that is what I expected. Due to the oil content this is definitely a strain I'm going to keep. Need to get a better taste test compared to the normal chocolate hab but I don't recall it tasting like caribe. We'll see how the f2's turn out. I'm calling it Red Hot Chocolate

HAJ said:

The 2 traits in play:

Anyone have links on the subject. This is something that I should be looking into further while doing my crosses. Preferably pepper specific. I'll google as well. Reading http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/vc221/pepper/PEPPERrd.htmright now

D3monic said:

Anyone have links on the subject. This is something that I should be looking into further while doing my crosses. Preferably pepper specific. I'll google as well. Reading http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/vc221/pepper/PEPPERrd.htmright now

Somebody posted a really good, detailed description/link a few years back. I'll see if I can locate it.

Edit:
Ok here we go: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/40168-color-geneticsbreeding-colors/?hl=genes#entry846134

Crossing a yellow and a brown statistically would yield red pods, from my research on all of that in the linked thread above. Brown is the result of chlorophyll retention on top of red when ripe, you're shades of brown come from the ripe shade. If you crossed a lighter "brown" with a yellow, you wouldn't get a red.

Back