• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant Growth Regulators

Yeah I did read your whole thread, however I don't think people necessarily have to have a view to saving the environment to use organics and that is where I said I believe you missed the point and why a lot of people currently utilise organics for whole different reasons. One being a better balanced overall garden ecosystem and thus plant health in the long term and less/no reliance on any other company/product if that is so desired by the grower.

Non-organics has an absolute and continual need for outside inputs and continual draw on Money through fertilisers, pesticides and herbicides and possibly/eventually hybrid seeds once they are the only plants with enough vigour to survive in the depleted soil-food-web you inadvertently end up creating in the long run.

Again this is simply my outlook on the way I see it. I see nothing wrong with your opinion as it is yours and yours alone and that is your choice, however I believe you have some misconceptions about what and why organic practices are chosen by many people. The Environment in my view is only a part of the whole picture. Plant Vigour, Human Health, Less/no outside inputs needed, a creation of a self sustainable eco-system/garden, natural selection of vigorous genetics without hybridisation, immediate and long term benefts to the soil structure and yes less pollution are all parts of the bigger picture.
ok im seeing more of what your saying now... once the plant soaks up all the natural ferts that are in the ground there is going to be othing left so the plant is going to have to rely on you to feed it since there isnt any nutrients in the ground. so you have to feed the soil so the soil can feed the plant..

Yeah I did read your whole thread, however I don't think people necessarily have to have a view to saving the environment to use organics and that is where I said I believe you missed the point and why a lot of people currently utilise organics for whole different reasons. One being a better balanced overall garden ecosystem and thus plant health in the long term and less/no reliance on any other company/product if that is so desired by the grower.

Non-organics has an absolute and continual need for outside inputs and continual draw on Money through fertilisers, pesticides and herbicides and possibly/eventually hybrid seeds once they are the only plants with enough vigour to survive in the depleted soil-food-web you inadvertently end up creating in the long run.

Again this is simply my outlook on the way I see it. I see nothing wrong with your opinion as it is yours and yours alone and that is your choice, however I believe you have some misconceptions about what and why organic practices are chosen by many people. The Environment in my view is only a part of the whole picture. Plant Vigour, Human Health, Less/no outside inputs needed, a creation of a self sustainable eco-system/garden, natural selection of vigorous genetics without hybridisation, immediate and long term benefts to the soil structure and yes less pollution are all parts of the bigger picture.

Thank you for clarifying, it seems that I did miss the point of your first post.

To be honest, I grow mainly in hydroponics, which needs continual input either way, so my post was geared a lot more towards that. I didn't even consider the creation of a self sustainable ecosystem in one's own garden.

I wanted to get some gibberelic acid a while back because I read it can help with seed germination, but couldn't find where to get it. I've had a few varieties that haven't sprouted this season so it would help with those ones. I wasn't going to use it in the garden because I really don't see the point, nature does a good enough job, plus all the reasons stated above make it an unattractive option. Now I've changed my mind on using it at all.

Of course if you think about it if I got a seed to germinate using an artificially large amount of a substance like gibberelic acid, that is UN-natural selection. Who knows if those seeds were a random mutation of genetics making it weak and unable to germinate unless the artificial and outside dose is used? You don't want those genes to perpetuate in the ecosystem. Farmers for many generations have been selecting the best seeds to resow next season. Best meaning fertile and easy to germinate, large yield, disease resistant. Using highly artificial methods is going in the other direction.

Obviously using GA once isn't going to destroy the world's ecosystem but if everyone thought like that it could have a devastating effect. Like the person who throws some plastic rubbish out the car window hasn't single handed ruined all nature with pollution, but they are responsible.

I believe that everyone should act as though their actions are going to be replicated by every other person on the planet. That is the only way anyone can take responsibility for the cumulative effect of these sorts of things, like chemical fertiliser pollution and other acts of a monsanto flavour.

Some people will always say that their one small act won't have any effect but they are just moral freeloaders, relying on everyone to do the right thing. It's not like there isn't a simple alternative that is better. This is some abstract reasoning though and a lot of people are stuck in a "get as much for myself" mindset and won't agree.

You can use other ways to germinate seeds and plants will grow with out pgrs. If only for the genetic unnatural selection reason I don't think people should use pgrs. Thats my two cents anyway.

Back