• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant ID

Hey all!

I had picked up a few pepper plants from a local nursery, ended up giving one to a friend. It was labelled as "Basket of Fire"

http://patio-edibles.com/pepper-hot/basket-of-fire/

However, after it started fruiting we noticed that the peppers start off creamy yellow, and are turning purple. Im assuming red will be the final stage of ripening but on all the pages that discuss this particular plant, it says it goes from yellow to orange to red. No purple mentioned. This leads me to wonder if its a different plant like an Aji Ornamental or something. Anyone recognize this plant?

dZkjpiT.jpg

JRZ said:
The purple just looks like some sunburn to me.

Possibly... but its not like its sunny and hot here! Its been pretty crummy and overall its rarely too sunny. Edmonton Alberta is not known for its hot long sunny days!

That is not sunburn,but a natural tint as your pods grow & get to its final color in most cases red.

It "looks" like Capsicum annuum 'Sangria,an ornamental, others please chime in with your take!!

Happy growing!

wiriwiri said:
That is not sunburn,but a natural tint as your pods grow & get to its final color in most cases red.
It "looks" like Capsicum annuum 'Sangria,an ornamental, others please chime in with your take!!

Happy growing!

Yeah, Ive seen a few plants that it looks like but they all state they start off green, not creamy yellow...

wiriwiri said:

Happy growing!

Interesting, so do all the pods on the plant go through the same phases of color-change?

The reason I suspected sunburn is because I have had the same (or very similar) purple coloration appear on some of my pods in previous years, but only on pods close to the top of the plant with poor leaf cover. The lower pods went straight from green to red without any dark tint stage in-between. That is what was leading me to believe that there is some connection to light exposure (at least in my case).

JRZ said:

Interesting, so do all the pods on the plant go through the same phases of color-change?

The reason I suspected sunburn is because I have had the same (or very similar) purple coloration appear on some of my pods in previous years, but only on pods close to the top of the plant with poor leaf cover. The lower pods went straight from green to red without any dark tint stage in-between. That is what was leading me to believe that there is some connection to light exposure (at least in my case).

So far a lot of them have gone through that color shift. Even ones partially covered by leaves or lower on the plant.

After finding additional photos online it may actually be basket of fire. Most things say it goes from yellow to orange to red. However I've found a few pictures that show purple tints!

http://gardeners.s3.amazonaws.com/p/VECHI25590_3.jpg

And this page even mentions purple!

Name

Vegetalis Spicy Pepper Trio All Basket of Fire 6 pc

Description

This hot and spicy chilli pepper collection includes 6 Basket of Fire. Basket of Fire is the first pepper to be specifically designed for hanging baskets growing about a foot tall and two feet wide and produces a multitude of colorful peppers ranging from red to yellow to purple and orange. These moderately spicy peppers are about the same heat as a typical jalapeno and will be a great addition to your favorite salsa or south of the border specialties. They produce such numerous amounts of peppers and last well into autumn, so it’s a good thing that these peppers are so tasty and are so easy to dry to last in your cupboard for months. Scoville Ratings: Basket of Fire 80,000shu

The  other ornamental that comes to mind,which I have that initially is mildly yellow  then changes in light purple with a tint  is Bolivian Rainbow,my plant is now starting to have pods & they seems a bit shorter & less pointed than yours at this time.
Happy Growing In Edmonton!!

Back