• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Planter boxes

I'm planning on building some planter boxes in the vegetable garden to put my chili & veg sprouts in (so I don't have to bend over so much). I'm wondering about the material to build it with though. I would think the side boards should be treated wood so it doesn't break down so fast in the outdoors but I know treated lumber has chemicals in it that are unhealthy to be around (that's why they are never used in indoor construction). Should they be avoided in vegetable gardening? I'm wondering if the toxins would be absorbed by the plants and make the pods unwise to eat.

You could always build a wooden frame to hold one of the cheap plastic ones instead of just planting directly in the wood. Or maybe line it with something if you wanted to make them bigger than that.

No clue on the treated wood thing though, but I did a quick google search on planter boxes and most plans for them appear to require a secondary pot inside the box in which case treated wood wouldn't be a problem.

Check this link out, pretty neat guide for building one with some plans:
http://www.volunteerprojects123.org/story74c8.html

And a couple more:
http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/eazylist/planter_box.html

Good luck with building that box, lets see some finished pics. I've got some work to do myself over this week, setting up some peppers on the porch of my new apartment.

RedThumb said:
I'm planning on building some planter boxes in the vegetable garden ...I would think the side boards should be treated wood so it doesn't break down so fast in the outdoors but I know treated lumber has chemicals in it that are unhealthy to be around ...

Answered my own question. I was looking for sample designs for the planters and found at least one site that mentioned you should never use treated wood in vegetable gardens. They recommend redwood. Makes sense. It think that is what they make playgrounds with.

Txclosetgrower said:
...Good luck with building that box, lets see some finished pics. I've got some work to do myself over this week, setting up some peppers on the porch of my new apartment.

Finished pics (as you can see I got a bit carried away) ;)

Planter:
IMG_1080.jpg

Close up:
IMG_1081.jpg

Nice work, beautiful brocolli plant....although some of the pepper plants look planted to close to eachother and the Broccoli.

imaguitargod said:
Nice work, beautiful brocolli plant....although some of the pepper plants look planted to close to each other and the Broccoli.

It's funny you should say that! I saw a tray of broccoli plants and decide to pick one up. I grabbed the largest one in the tray and when I got home I found someone had put a califlower plant in the broccoli tray. No wonder it was bigger than the others.

From what I understand, the plant just produces one califlower and then you pull the whole plant up. It's almost at that point and I can't wait. I don't really like califlower and you're right, it's getting too darned big.

RedThumb said:
It's funny you should say that! I saw a tray of broccoli plants and decide to pick one up. I grabbed the largest one in the tray and when I got home I found someone had put a califlower plant in the broccoli tray. No wonder it was bigger than the others.

From what I understand, the plant just produces one califlower and then you pull the whole plant up. It's almost at that point and I can't wait. I don't really like califlower and you're right, it's getting too darned big.
Like broccoli, califlower will sprout side shoots that are small, but still tasty....if you like califlower...which I don't.

Txclosetgrower said:
Very nicely done. You're going to have a lot of tomatoes.

I hope so. There are just 3 early varieties on the top row. 2 of them have tomatoes, some of which are ... well, tomatoe size ... like the ones you find in the supermarket but they won't turn red. Still pure green. Don't know if I'm doing anything wrong.

What works out well is that to get to the tomatoes, the squirrels would need to walk across 3 rows of pepper plants and I understand they don't like that.

Back