• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Planting Deeper

As far as I know planting the steam of a tomato deeper is a good thing because it will build more roots on the steam, will this do the same with pepper plants, I belive they are both on the same plant family

I think this would happen for pretty much all plants. Plant deep, but not too deep. They can only grow so much before they run out of food.

I might be wrong, but perhaps if you started the seeds, then transplanted them in a big pot with the soil above the typical soil line, it might have the same effect.

ive been wondering the same thing over the past few days. ive got some aji christmas bell seedlings with some adventatious roots on the stem that i was going to plant slightly deeper anyway.

just worried about causing stem rot with the ones that arent showing root nubs above the soil surface

It will happen. I usually do it with seedings that get leggy. I have even seen roots start above the soil line and reach down into the soil to continue to grow

Well I want ultimate root growth but the last thing I want is rot on the stem I will transplant some pepper plants this or next week so I want to know how far

Check out this video. At about 4 min. in he starts pulling up plants and showing you what happened when he planted down to the second node.

He doesn't recommend it.

Nice, so I noticed Peppers dont really create alot of roots out the stem but will create alot of roots from easy soil to work with.

Back