• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Planting on my lawn

You can get 5 gallon fabric pots with handles for $1.80 ea and they will work way better than a homer bucket.

Go here www.greenhousemegastore.com I use these exclusively and love them. I use to have several raised garden beds that held roughly 6 yards of dirt combined. I switched from the raised beds to fabric pots and would never go back to raised beds. I like the portability of the pots and the fact that you can treat each plant individually if need be i.e. water, nutes etc.

^Thanks for the link, I was planning on buying another dozen ugly Homer buckets next week! Those fabric pots = better price, better drainage, not safety orange, and available in larger sizes.

I called my neighbor to get his advice on this issue. He said I need to get rid of the sod because the existing root system won't allow a new plant to grow. He said to use an axe and cut it into 1 foot sections, then pull it up and put it in a pile. Then I would need some topsoil and a pitchfork to mix up the soil underneath. I can do that. I would rather do this than spend hundreds on fabric and rock. And I think I'd have a better garden and I could control the weeds. I think this will be my course of action. Any thoughts?

I called my neighbor to get his advice on this issue. He said I need to get rid of the sod because the existing root system won't allow a new plant to grow. He said to use an axe and cut it into 1 foot sections, then pull it up and put it in a pile. Then I would need some topsoil and a pitchfork to mix up the soil underneath. I can do that. I would rather do this than spend hundreds on fabric and rock. And I think I'd have a better garden and I could control the weeds. I think this will be my course of action. Any thoughts?

Thats a lot of manual labor just to prep the area, not to mention the time it will take to amend the soil.

I agree with the prior post... Start with 10 plants. You could also build a raised bed for alot less sweat and have it ready to grow in no time.

Back