• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Planting Seed depth on germinated seeds, into party cups?

I germinated some of my Dorset Naga seeds on top of paper towels in plastic cups. They have about 1/8 inch of white root showing at the moment.

I just have to pop them into party cups in my potting mix.

BUT......

What kind of depth should I put the seed in.

I want to make sure the root takes in the soil, but I also want to make sure its not to deep, and delays growing.

do you think, just poke the dirt with a toothpick and drop in root down, and cover seed and all with a tiny bit of soil?

and give it some heat and light?

I have germination station coming so I can go straight into that with future seeds, I just don't want to waste these current seeds.
took about 2 weeks if anyone is wondering for these Dorset Naga to germinate, and its only a few, I'm sure by tonight I will have more, or later this weekend.

I was testing about 20 seeds 2 different ways to see best germination.

I germinated some of my Dorset Naga seeds on top of paper towels in plastic cups. They have about 1/8 inch of white root showing at the moment.

I just have to pop them into party cups in my potting mix.

BUT......

What kind of depth should I put the seed in.

I want to make sure the root takes in the soil, but I also want to make sure its not to deep, and delays growing.

do you think, just poke the dirt with a toothpick and drop in root down, and cover seed and all with a tiny bit of soil?

and give it some heat and light?

I'd aim for placing about 1 cm (~3/8 of an inch) of potting mix above the seeds. This should provide enough potting mix above the sprout to provide friction against the seed cap.

I tried half that depth last season and learnt it was not enough.

OK thanks... I'm thinking of chucking them into jiffy pots.
I have cups with soil in them, I think its my best option..

cant wait for this germination station to come.... but then I will need a fluorescent to put them under...

i just yesterday did this with (more) chocolate habs

i put the sprouts on the wet potting soil surface and

covered them with ¼" or so of perlite mixed 50/50 with potting soil

it has worked before for me like this

if you get some stuck helmet you may consider that NORMALLY they will "toss it off" :rofl:

by their own self at a time later (they were doing this without our "help" before we "found" them) :eek:

Last season I placed them ¼" deep which seem to work pretty good for us. This season I used grow plugs and would place the germinated seed in the hole. I potted-up as soon as I found roots coming from the bottom of the plug. There were a few more stuck helmets, but we had little trouble removing them.

Good luck!!

Back