• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Planting two plants in one pot

I have a bunch of plants I started late, two of each variety, and a bunch of 5 gallon pots filled with soil. Is it a bad idea to plant both plants in the same pot? Will it have any negative effects?

I always say it a bad idea but do a site search, this topic comes up a lot and there are many opinions

yeah, pretty much the same as when you keep tomato seedlings in one pot and never move them out. they tend to never grow to their full potential.

but if you wanna see how well they'll do together, that's all up to you. =D

In my opinion it's good and bad depending if on how much you want the plants to produce. In the short term they seem to go very well but as the season goes on they tend to suffer from lack of food and for myself at least it is harder to feed them properly. Every plant has different needs and when the roots are growing together you can not tailor to the needs of the plant/s.

Since there has been discussions of this recently I've decided to try two and three in large pots to see what happens.

But take a look at the past topics

Im no expert but one reason I have heard that this is not a good idea is that the plants will fight for nutrients and it is possible the one or both could die or have some kind of ill effect.

...........this new look is going to take a bit of getting use to!

Here I have 2 fresno plants in a 1 gallon pot, if you look really close you can see several decent size pods on both plants and both plants are flowering.

I am not concerned with the production of this pot as I have several more plants, the rip leaves are a result of recent fertilization and moving the pots in and out of a tote box that allows me to transport the plants inside and out easily.

I think I would only try this with annuums that produce tall plants and easily prunable leaves, I would never do this with my habs or fatalii. That being said my over winter hab only has 1 pod on it and my overwintered jalepeno has only 2 pods(last year if only produced 4).

HPIM1801.jpg

Im no expert but one reason I have heard that this is not a good idea is that the plants will fight for nutrients and it is possible the one or both could die or have some kind of ill effect.

If plants are from seed of the same 'mother plant' they will actually NOT compete. This was a very recent study. They apparently recognize that they are 'siblings'.

I've got a pair of fruiting Fish peppers doing fine together, as well as a pair of White Habs.

Would they be doing better separately? Possibly. Who knows...

hey eephus, its been a while but yep, you are right lots of eye room, I can actually see what's going on, haven't tried any of the features yet, just want to get use to the look and doing the basics like posting, posting with pics and posting with quotes.

your best bet is to put them in a really big container to keep them both happy.

i've read that 5 gallon pots are best for one pot, so if you can find a pot that's around 10 gallons then you're all good.

If plants are from seed of the same 'mother plant' they will actually NOT compete. This was a very recent study. They apparently recognize that they are 'siblings'.
If that's true, that's actually really cool. Some smart plants. LOL.

Either way... I've seen plants not only planted in the same pot, but in tiny seedling-starting containers a very small distance from each other, that just went wild when put out in the ground. Their root ball wasn't giant at the end of the season either, so I would guess they would have lived happily in a decently-sized pot as well. They were only first-year plants though; no idea how they would do if allowed to survive together over winter and for another year; you might run into problems then maybe.

I've got a pair of fruiting Fish peppers doing fine together, as well as a pair of White Habs.

Would they be doing better separately? Possibly. Who knows...

Any chance of a link to this study? From my own experience I just can't see it. Plants have to compete if there is limited root space and/or more limited sun exposure. I actually believe plants are "programmed" to compete, survival of the fittest and all. Let the weak die off

^ The eastern nations inter-cropped 3 and 4 different species long before the Europeans came to the party. Beans, squash, corn and and, nuts, I can't remember. Certainly there are species that take over and smother other plants out like that vine in the south called Kudzu. But we're not talking this kind of aggressiveness with Capsicum or most cultivated crops.
Here's a link to companion cropping;

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/complant.html

Sorry I'm confused, maybe I missed something in the article. I understand companion planting but what I'm asking is about when you say "seed of the same 'mother plant' they will actually NOT compete"
I've seen plants of the same seeds compete so I'm really trying to understand this. In my opinion if space is limited roots will always grow into each other and compete for space and nutrition

Sorry I'm confused, maybe I missed something in the article. I understand companion planting but what I'm asking is about when you say "seed of the same 'mother plant' they will actually NOT compete"
I've seen plants of the same seeds compete so I'm really trying to understand this. In my opinion if space is limited roots will always grow into each other and compete for space and nutrition

maybe they just be so nice to each other that they don't take too much of each other's nutes and end up stunted that way? i dunno. lol

sorry stupid suggestion.

I'm not sure how to answer you because I've never personally encountered that. Not saying your wrong; I just don't know. I'm not the one who said "seed of the same 'mother plant' they will actually NOT compete". I don't know about that; I've never heard that before and would like some supporting link or something other than an unsupported statement by somebody.
My point was simply; different plants can grow in close proximity to each other in a beneficial way. It would seem logical that the same plant species would also enjoy a symbiotic relationship. Maybe not, hmm? Anyway, not too serious. Cheers.

Hmm lots of differing information. I am planning on keeping these plants over winter hopefully under a grow light so I can get pods from them during the wintertime, so maybe it's not a good idea. I have a couple Twilights planted outside right now in the same pot and so far they are doing nice, both flowering already. It seems like they might be fine the first season but end up having problems as they grow larger, and obviously they would be hard to separate at that point. I guess the obvious solution would be that the weaker would have to be killed. Tough decision here, I don't know what to do!

Hmm lots of differing information. I am planning on keeping these plants over winter hopefully under a grow light so I can get pods from them during the wintertime, so maybe it's not a big deal. I have a couple Twilights planted outside right now in the same pot and so far they are doing nice, both flowering already. It seems like they might be fine the first season but end up having problems as they grow larger, and obviously they would be hard to separate at that point. I guess the obvious solution would be that the weaker would have to be killed. Tough decision here, I don't know what to do!

Well, isn't it really simple? If there really is competition then you don't have to make a decision. The one that is strongest will win; thereby making the decision for you.
Much ado about nothing, me thinks. Let nature take it's course; just sit back and watch. Much ado about nothing. Cheers.

Back