Plant's broken.

Hey there,

I believe one of my plant has a disease, but I don't know which one, and I am a total noob (first year growing stuff :D). By looking at the pictures and articles in the FAQ, I'm hesitating between Nitrogen and Iron (but I wouldn't know how to fix it anyway).

Here are some pictures of what it looks like:
(It's the same plant, just 3 different angles) 
Plant1.JPG
Plant2.JPG
Plant3.JPG

If you guys could help me out on this one that'd be great, I know most of you probably are used to these kinds of things.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I do NOT know what the pepper actually is, it's a seed I got from PapaBill's mystery seed bag giveway (Shoutout to him!)

Thanks in advance :)

I would quarantine it just to be sure and give it a 1/4 strength dose of tomato tone.  How often are you watering?  What is your soil mixture?  Lighting?

It really looks a lot like a virus tbh but it's hard to say without knowing the above specifics.  Wash your hands before handling any other plants or soil.  TMV and CMV can transmit through the seed hull.  If that's what it is you'd have to burn the plant and soil.  The vendor could be in a lot of trouble.

I am watering it about once every two days. I check daily the soil's humidity, making sure I'm not overwatering it or letting it dry too much.

I use this soil stuff. I don't know if it's any good, though. I included a picture of what seems to be the soil stats, in case that's useful.
soil.JPG
soilinfo.JPG

As of lighting, I built a ghetto setup. Here it is as well as some info on the light bulb used. 
growingsetup.JPG
lightbulbinfo.JPG
I know this setup is not the best, but I'm living in this temporary appartement for the next month until I go back to my house, so I'll have to deal with it.

Thanks a lot for your help! I have 21 other pepper plants, all younger than this one, I hope they won have to deal with the same disease.

Hmm.  I would probably just quarantine it in a windowsill or something if possible just in case.  Maybe try to feed it 1/4 strength tomato nutrients, sometimes seed starting mixes like that one are pretty weak, it might be nutrient deficient, something macro more than likely like nitrogen.  It's really hard to say, your watering sounds ok and the light should be ok for the time being. The way the chlorosis looks makes me nervous because it's what CMV looked like on some melons I had a few years ago. The truth is that sometimes it's really hard to tell because chlorosis can be an indicator of any number of things.

not a virus. like 90% sure.

its sulfate or iron, ive only seen iron once personally... when i ran out of plantex csm + B for like 3 weeks.
never seen a sulfate deficiency. plants generally need so little...

see how the lower leaves are beautiful and green? its an immobile deficiency.

iron starts as interveinal chlorosis then goes pure white, then dies off. sulfates mostly the same but with total chlorosis. 

iron starts from the back of the leaf margin and moves forward as the leaf expands. pepper plants leaves expand more from the back than from the front.

could also be sulfate though. sulfate looks similar though you dont get that pure white like you do from an iron deficiency... maby its my monitor but those plants look pure white to me.

what i dont get is why the back of the leaves on the top leaves showes a little hint of white. its almost like they are just getting a small taste of nutrients now.  could actually be sulfate.

idk.

what are you feeding these plants?
its not a virus because none that ive ever seen, ever, will get a leaf to run PURE white like that.

its strange though... its like your plants went from being ok one day, then being 100% starving the next.

did these get watered a holy shit load one day? like did they get rained on or something? you could have washed out what ever charge of fertilizer you had going for you.

It did get completely dry one time I had to leave for the weekend, but that was on its really early stage, it had 1 pair of leaves at that time. I found it flat on the soil. I watered it, and couple hours after it was right back up like nothing happened. Could it be that moment?

I'm surprised by that bulb.. If you want an instant difference change it out with a bulb between 5000-6500k CFL to get the plant into the more productive vegetation end of the spectrum... I would recommend you get a 30 watt 6500k CFL 4200 lumens for under $20 and start getting huge differences..

That 4100k would be better suited towards the flowering end of the scale.. But even then a 2700k would be once again a much better choice...

Also is that incandescent a  heat globe ???

To add illumination, get rid of the foil and just stick up some regular white matte paper or if you can paint the area in builders white matte paint,  it will cause a greater light ambience in the area.

I normally treat everything like a virus first, quarantine then try other treatments.  I think it's better to be safe than sorry.  I hate to sound like I think everything is a virus lol.  I have actually had problems with it before so it isn't without a reason.

KrakenPeppers said:
I'm surprised by that bulb.. If you want an instant difference change it out with a bulb between 5000-6500k CFL to get the plant into the more productive vegetation end of the spectrum... I would recommend you get a 30 watt 6500k CFL 4200 lumens for under $20 and start getting huge differences..

That 4100k would be better suited towards the flowering end of the scale.. But even then a 2700k would be once again a much better choice...

Also is that incandescent a  heat globe ???

To add illumination, get rid of the foil and just stick up some regular white matte paper or if you can paint the area in builders white matte paint,  it will cause a greater light ambience in the area.
 Thanks for your advices, I will try to see what I can get. Or I'll just order one online.
The incandescent bulb is not meant to be a heat globe, but I use it like one, that keeps the temperature at around 26 celcius.

Helvete said:
I normally treat everything like a virus first, quarantine then try other treatments.  I think it's better to be safe than sorry.  I hate to sound like I think everything is a virus lol.  I have actually had problems with it before so it isn't without a reason.
Yeah, I agree, I moved it away, just in case.

queequeg152 said:
no. not unless you watered it a shit load. like 2 or 3x the volume of the soil.

what are you fertilizing with?

I have Miracle Gro stuff... Not sure if it's any good though.

Wolf1888 said:

I have Miracle Gro stuff... Not sure if it's any good though.

Which mix?  Have you used them yet?

Most of the MG 'blue crystal' mixes have a fairly complete nutrient mix, with Ca and Mg being the only major deficiencies.  If your plant needs iron or Nitrogen, a light dose of MG should help.

Wolf1888 said:
 Thanks for your advices, I will try to see what I can get. Or I'll just order one online.

If you are in Quebec, this is one of the best deals I've found in local stores. Fixture is 20 bucks, add another 10 bucks for 2x 32w T8's. I got the "daylight" bulbs @ 6500k. The fixture is 48" long so you can get a bunch of plants under there and it's cheaper than buying those big CFL spiral bulbs!

http://www.renodepot.com/en/shoplight-fluorescent-fixture-8770001

nastafarian said:

If you are in Quebec, this is one of the best deals I've found in local stores. Fixture is 20 bucks, add another 10 bucks for 2x 32w T8's. I got the "daylight" bulbs @ 6500k. The fixture is 48" long so you can get a bunch of plants under there and it's cheaper than buying those big CFL spiral bulbs!

http://www.renodepot.com/en/shoplight-fluorescent-fixture-8770001

Darn it, I just came back from Reno Depot! Lol 
But it is indeed a great offer, thanks a lot for sharing! I'll go buy these. The lights you bought are these ones? http://www.renodepot.com/en/linear-fluorescent-03175351/

nastafarian said:
Yep, same bulbs! I have 3 of those shop lights and it's enough light to cover a 3' x 4' area with 75+ plants in solo cups. If you add a fan and put the whole setup on a timer for a few bucks more, it's worth it! I have a timer with 3-prong plug so that I can use a power bar with it

Yeah, the fan is really something I'll need.

Geonerd said:

Which mix?  Have you used them yet?

Most of the MG 'blue crystal' mixes have a fairly complete nutrient mix, with Ca and Mg being the only major deficiencies.  If your plant needs iron or Nitrogen, a light dose of MG should help.

Do you know how much time it'll take until I see some results?

Wolf1888 said:

Yeah, the fan is really something I'll need.

Do you know how much time it'll take until I see some results?

Look for the new growth to darken - shouldn't take more than a day or two to see something happening.

Update

This is what it looks like now, it looks a lot better.

bill_recover1.JPG

Here, this leaf used to be 100% white when it was smaller. It grew bigger and with a nice healthy green color, so I guess that's good.
bill_recover2.JPG

Thanks guys for your helpful advices, I can't wait to see what peppers will come out of it!

Wow, just tuned into this one.
I have never seen leaves that white before, except on my fish pepper. But it is supposed to have white in it.
Good that it all worked out for you.

Back