• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plants falling over and dyeing....

OK in the last few days I have lost all but 5 plants.. They looked great.. then an hour or later. fell over and the stock was tiney. is this a bug, or a sickness or what.

Yeah man i had 2 do that. 1 died i saved the other by buying some small bamboo sticks. Shove em in the dirt and tied up loosely with a zip tie. 2nd plant bounced back and is doing great!

I water everyother day with 95-100F weather. Try staking your plants up

Ok I will do that.. thing is the like 4-5 inches tall.. Should I move them to a spot with less direct sun light as well?

Ok I will do that.. thing is the like 4-5 inches tall.. Should I move them to a spot with less direct sun light as well?

To much full sun might be to much for them, my plants are waist high and I pull them out of the sun and shade them when they start to wilt. If it's been a while since you last watered and they start to wilt then water them and shade them for an hour or two then they are good to go! Also if they are falling over like that then the stem stalk is not thick/big enough to support the plant and like hotpeppas said, the plant will need to be supported by staking it.

Check soil for grubs that eat roots.

Sounds like a possible root problem.
Root rot,fert burn,bad soil...

If it's a root problem staking a plant up won't help.
Some grubs,cutworms or whatever eat just at the soil level or a little below.

No roots=dead plant...

Damping off - It's fungal. The plants are unlikely to recover. To prevent it in the future while your plants are still in pots, make sure not to over-water, and possibly run a fan on your plants. Try bottom-watering, to ensure the top-most layer of soil doesn't get wet, as this fungus stays on the surface. The fan will help dry out the top layer quickly, too, and gives the added benefit of strengthening the stems before they go outside. Of course, you don't want to blow your plants away - if you can, point the fan in such a way that it circulates air without being directly on your plants. Otherwise, give it some distance.

If the soil was kept to wet, I agree with the above. Soil fungus eating away at the stem.
If the seedling is young, it's always fatal.
Though in one case last year I had a 2" high seedling that suffered and I supported it with skewers and it made a compete recovery. I must have caught it in time and it must of been a strong plant.
http://www.chiligrow...12906&Itemid=21

close up pictures speak thousands of words...but just from your description I would agree with damping off...

In the Atlanta area, we have had about ten days of temperatures around or over 100 degrees F. This past Saturday, it was 106 (and I was sitting in the bleachers at a Braves game).

Most of us will recommend that chiles (particularly the superhot varieties) do not like wet feet from overwatering. But in temperatures like this I have been watering more frequently. Even with this, I have seen some impact from the heat on my plants. I'm not sure if this has anything at all to do with what is happening to your plants but it (the heat) is definitely an issue for me. Most susceptible are the container plants of course. Good luck and follow your judgment.

It's been near 100F for almost two weeks here too. I water everything in pots twice a day and one large plant in an undersized pot, every chance I get. That's the tradeoff with well draining soil, you have to water more often but the top gets dry enough that nasties like fungus and bugs have a harder time surviving.

I agree with others that withering away of the stem at ground level is typically fungus related from too much surface wetness, that or excessive fertilizer.

You can recover some of them...spray some hydrogen peroxide on that area, up the stem, and the soil around it...not too much. Then cover up to the cotyledons or first leaves with soil. I have about 30 large healthy plants that had fallen completely over, and looked dead.

Damping off isn't always from over-wet soil...mine were watered once a week, and were bone dry when it started happening...and still did it. Mine happened because I added compost to the potting mix int he pint-pots they were in. I thought it would be a good idea...turned out since the plants were contained, and the compst non-sterile...the fungus in the mixture decided to attack the plants.

Yea tomorrow night I will trans plant them to the kiddie pool garden... filled with MG garden soil, 3 bags of sand and manure and what ever is on sale.. This is a learning time and well I know this so far...

Oregon sucks this year. start 2 months sooner next season, and move them out of the starting dome way sooner, or add a pair of comp fan's to move the air. Also dont use MG garden soil with jilly pots. Pics will be up latter to day...

IMO the garden soil is too heavy and compacts easily...use the potting mix instead....

Back