Plants not growing

JoynersHotPeppers said:
What is soil temp in solo cup?
Good question.  Got me curious as to what my soil temp is like in everything.  I have never thought to test it before today.

Its a very cool night, perfect time to test IMO, just to see how low they are really getting.  I will test early in the AM and later in the day as well tomorrow.

Test time: 9:10pm

Weather.com
Air Temp: 57° F 
Low tonight 57° F

On thermometer
Air temp:  59° F
Solo Cups: 62° F
Wally Bags: 62° F
30g Pot: 67° F
Raised Beds: 70° F
In Ground: 70° F

Test time: 8:30am

Weather.com
Air Temp: 59° F 
High tonight 78° F

On thermometer
Air temp:  61° F
Solo Cups: 61° F
Wally Bags: 60° F
Raised Beds: 68° F
In Ground: 68° F

Interesting, what will be the real test is later in the day see if the solo cup then gets warmer. If not, still pretty cold all around for peppers. Mine stall in the house when they are below 75 roughly. 

Scuba_Steve said:
I ordered a soil ph test kit btw.  I think that is my problem.  The soil has not been amended, and therefore the ph could be anywhere.  Should be here tomorrow.  Gotta love Amazon Prime!
Exactly, love me some PRIME! PH could be it for sure...pine overload ;) 

Test time: 4:05pm

Weather.com
Air Temp: 73° F 
High tonight 76° F

On thermometer
Air temp:  71° F
Solo Cups: 72° F
Wally Bags: 67° F
Raised Beds: 71° F
In Ground: 72° F

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looks like the 30g just loves to chill at 67 :)

Ya I can't quite figure that out just yet.  I am going to do this again on a nice sunny day.  Today was overcast again.

My conclusion so far:
The Solos and the Wally bags seem to follow air temp pretty closely.  At night they hold their heat a bit above for a while rather than dropping immediately, but during the day they seem to rise pretty consistently as the air temp rises.

The beds and ground have enough earth in them to hold a pretty stable temp throughout the day/night.  They do get a slight bump up in the afternoon though.  They have no issues staying well above the lows.

The 30g pot also has enough to keep it stable, weirdly stable.  More stable than anything else for at least today.

whats the soil mix? Looks similar to Miracle grow organic... my plants where stunted and not growing in it until I transplanted into something else. 

D3monic said:
whats the soil mix? Looks similar to Miracle grow organic... my plants where stunted and not growing in it until I transplanted into something else. 

It is from a local landscaping supply company.  It is primarily compost with some pine fines and top soil mixed in.  I helped shovel this stuff into containers when I picked it up.  I assure you it is not a bagged mix.

This year I had a yellow brain that would not get past it's second set of true leaves. All 95 other plants are fine and growing strong. I gave it 4 months and was rooting for it, but just pulled it since it being a true runt.

I'm believing like Ajdrew said "DNA". We've all had them. Out of 100 seeds started X% jump right out and grow big and fast and tall. Y% are a bit slower but mimic the growth of the 1st to germinate. Z% Are plants that grow ( but much slower) and some may exhibit weird growth habits (odd leaves, color, size). Then you have the couple percent that just grow stunted. Small. Refuse to get "real" leaves and when the do they just still putt along. Growing a whole bunch of plants like I do I usually yank them early on like Ajdrew and Lovepeppers says.  I don't have the time or patience to nurse it along. I have done so in the past and they can take off as CAPCOM has shown. Give it some time and don't love it to death. Maybe it's just growing it's roots to fill the pot then it will shoot out ahead of the others!

Yup watch those pine needles very acidic use them in my mulch for blueberry and raspberry plants will not work with peppers just a thought!

Back