• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plastic Sheeting for cover

Man... That's one Big Tarp, your living up to the Texas Motto..."-)

This is the first year I have used shade cloth and it's a God Send in my book. We have been hit hard this year, three big hail storms up to marble size, 8 inches of driving rain and numerous Tornados in my area and "their still standing" as Elton would say....

Build three 4x8 raised beds with 3/4" conduit and connectors, then starched chicken wire over it and made 4 removable 4x6 doors. The main drive was to keep the squirrels out but it has proven to be much more useful then originally though. Made my own custom size shade cloth panels that bungee in place, great for hardening off your plants at the start and buttoning them up during a storm later. I have left the top shade cloth in place as my beds get full sun and they seem to enjoy the high noon break from the sun as they get 8 hours of direct sun with them in place...

I'm using the 60/40 green ( blocks 60% of the sun and most popular with commercial growers as I'm told ) and it's similar to a trampoline once bungeed in place so the hail bounces right off and the driving rain is but a gentle shower. Mine is backed with chicken wire but I'm sure it is strong enough by it's self to with stand some good size hail. They have a 50/50 white that I'm going to try but I do not think I would go any less then that...

P... You can build these frames/canopy's to any size or configuration you want as there are many available connectors from a flat roof to a slope roof or peak roof and in 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1 3/8", 1 5/8", 1 7/8" poles. You buy the connectors on line then the poles at Lowe's so it's much less shipping, the 1/2", 3/4", & 1" are electrical conduit and the 1 3/8", 1 5/8", 1 7/8" or chine link fence poles. Then you cut to length, I went 6' 3" tall over all and that great for peppers but my Tomatillo's and Tomato's have hit the roof already..."-)

http://www.ysbw.com/Canopy-Fittings-Canopy-Parts-Tent-Fittings-s/37.htm

rain89.jpg

rain2.jpg

rain3.jpg

rain4.jpg

P. Dreadie said:
wordwiz ,

Wish I tell you something about the strength of shade cloth . I can talk a little about hail , if it's ok
with Joe that is . Stupid but simple.

I hope you work it out .

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Hey, thanks for asking!!!!:P

splitcane,

What you did looks pretty slick. I like the smaller areas. I may do that for the areas I add next year. I had an area that is chain link fenced off. It was a dog run and quite a bit larger than what you did. About 24' x 15'. Inside there I made two long raised beds out of concrete. The beds are 2' high and 2' wide inside.

And thanks for the link.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Back