• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Please help me identofy the issue/issues with my plants.

This year has not been kind on me ( or for others as I see) so far. I had to start my plants late and now I am facing issues with some of my plants.

Issue 1:

The plant is not growing and I see it developing very thin deformed leaves (which fall off) and buds like thingys.

Thai pepper and wiri wiri plants are doing this.

tHU5hdj.jpg

UHAz8tk.jpg

Issue 2:
Bell peppers and banana peppers are developing long stemmed leaves which are deformed. Growth is also stalled.

g4SrfYq.jpg

Please help me identify these issues.
These plants were started in grow tent under lights and were transplanted outdoors after a week of hardening.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem with one of my pepper plants (Khang Starr Lemon Starrburst) and it was perfect and healthy indoors, but began doing (and still remains) with this exact problem. I just recently started treating it, although I am not sure it is going to work, with a boost of nutes, calimagic, epsom salt, and a touch of peroxide. Too early to tell if anything is going to happen, but I've written it off as a goner anyway. All I could come up with in my research is chili leaf curl virus. If it is of any help to you, I can keep you posted and share a photo of what it looks like now. Hope this helps.   

CaneDog said:
IDK, but when I see leaves formed like that i think about viruses as a possibility. Are you seeing any chlorotic or other patterning on the leaves?
No CD I dont see any patterning.

RedHotChiliPeppers said:
I had a similar problem with one of my pepper plants (Khang Starr Lemon Starrburst) and it was perfect and healthy indoors, but began doing (and still remains) with this exact problem. I just recently started treating it, although I am not sure it is going to work, with a boost of nutes, calimagic, epsom salt, and a touch of peroxide. Too early to tell if anything is going to happen, but I've written it off as a goner anyway. All I could come up with in my research is chili leaf curl virus. If it is of any help to you, I can keep you posted and share a photo of what it looks like now. Hope this helps.   
That would be helpful. Please keep me updated.

That's some funky growth going on there saiias. What about your planting medium? Have you purchased any commercial amendments (i.e. manure, compost, topsoil etc) in bulk from a farm? I have read about chemical contamination (Roundup poisoning) from this stuff. Just a thought.

This is usually caused by broad mites, or some other kind of mite. You can place a piece of white paper under the plant and flick the mass of shoots to knock the little buggers off and take a look at them. You should see little tiny tiny mites crawling around if they're alive and active on your plant.

I would recommend horticultural soap (such as Safer Soap) or you can applying neem oil. You'll probably have to do repeat applications at least weekly, making sure to soak those masses of shoots. Make sure to gently but thoroughly wash the plant off before you re-apply the next time so the dried soap doesn't build up. When the plant starts to recover and produce new growth you should reduce or stop applying soap directly to the new growth so it can start to grow normally - again soap does damage new growth but it's a necessary evil until the mites are under control.

Horticultural/Safer soap must not be applied in high temperatures/high sun intensity. 

Agreed, broad mites, textbook broad mite damage. And you got them pretty bad... Broad mites for all practical purposes are pretty much invisible to the human eye. A 40x scope will verify it.

I myself, would not use soap, or cold pressed neem for the first spray.

I'd use clarified neem,, with a drenching, soaking spray, and don't be scared of doing all around base of stem and surrounding media. Clarified can be sprayed during the day, but do it in the early morning or late late after noon, avoid mid day sun. As always concentrate under all leafs. Broad mites are hard to eradicate, but if you do what I've done, in 1 spray most will be dead. First, before the spray, prune off any/all damaged foliage/growth/buds, all of it, it will never heal. Burn it, or bury it far away...

I'd go to Home Depot and get their clarified neem asap. Had very good results with it many times.  Use it at full recommended strength for mites @ 4 tablespoons per gallon warm water, shake like crazy. Do it quick, like right away. If you wait just a little longer you'll probably lose those plants. And isolate them immediately.

Second spray in 3 or 4 days, use a good quality cold pressed neem at full strength of 2 tbs neem to 1tbs bonners soap, in 2 gal warm water. Don't over do the strength/mix. You'll need 2 gallons as you should spray every plant in the vicinity. Cold pressed is night time spray only. Broad mite suckers are more contagious than covid19. They use ride sharing on the legs of any flying insect that lands close to them, white fly are a favorite....

Very important how you mix cold pressed if you want good results. Must emulsify the oil with the soap in a cup of warm water in a small container. Then add more water mixing like crazy, then add to water in half full sprayer, and top off sprayer with strong flow of water. As forum member solid7 once told me..."shake the ever livin' shit out of the mixture in the sprayer, with the top in place".

jmo

B-sauce said:
Is clarified neem the same as neem oil extract?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
No.
Afaik only 2 types of neem that are appropriate for garden consideration, cold pressed neem, and clarified neem.

Clarified neem removes approximately 1/2-3/4  (depending on brand) of the Azadirachtin content, which is what many say is the most active part of cold pressed neem.

This makes Clarified neem less harsh on the plant and the one doing the spray. Not that cold pressed is excessively harsh. It also allows us to do a day time spray that cold pressed can't do.

Imo cold pressed neem oil maybe not best for very stressed plants like in the op above, unless one is very familiar with cold pressed, and how to mix it appropriately for application to very sick, infested, stressed plants like above.
  The shock of a heavy Azadirachtin content spray emulsified with soap, seems to have negative effects on the already heavily stressed very sick plants in maybe the last stages of life. Where as the less harsh clarified neem not so much... And both will eradicate mites. Cold pressed, contrary to popular beliefs does have some lasting deterrent effects, more so than clarified neem.

For healthy plants that are just suffering from a mild infestation, or routine sprays, cold pressed mixed correctly is the way to go imo.
 Hard to get the appropriate one, and even harder to know correct ratio to mix, but instead of soap to emulsify cold pressed neem, a surfactant instead of soap is better, less harsh/stress on the plants. I've been experimenting on that lately....

jmo

Lots of great suggestions here. 
Feel like I just took a course in mite control!

Good luck, Sai!

Back