• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Please tell me all the things wrong with my peppers

I'm new to pepper growing and gardening in general, and I'd really appreciate some help from the experts here in identifying my problems.

I have 5 in-container Aji Amarillo plants, and I think they're suffering from bacterial leaf spot. I also recently eliminated a small aphid problem (luckily only lasted a week) that was attacking new growth at the tops of the plants, and I think that's what's cause the deformation and curling you can see in the pictures below.

By way of background, I've grown them from seeds I brought back to Vancouver, Canada from Peru a couple years ago. I started 2 of them in late February, indoors in small pots with basic potting mix. I planted the other 3 in early March in Jiffy pots, and they've seemed to grow much more slowly. In mid-May I transferred all of them to big containers (removing the jiffy pots first) using pre-mixed, pre-fertilized soil from a gardening centre, and a few days later moved them outside to my balcony. They get about 3 hours of direct sunlight in the morning, and reasonably bright indirect light for the rest of the day. I fertilized them a week ago with an all-purpose vegetable mix (10-15-19) plus I've used a fish fertilizer a couple of times since I transplanted them. I staked them (gently with loose twine) once they got tall enough for the wind to be bothering them.

They seemed to be doing pretty well until the aphids had a go, but I'm scared they're not getting enough sun, and I feel like I may be over-watering them or the soil isn't draining well enough and that's causing the wilting you can see (i.e. roots not getting enough oxygen).

So my questions to the experts are:

1. Do they have bacterial leaf spot or something else?
1.i) If so, should I remove the damaged leaves? Perhaps with the new growth that's starting on the plants I could prune almost everything else, and top the biggest one, and try to reduce the chance of affecting the new leaves?
2. Do the plants look wilted?
3. Do the plants look deficient in anything?

Any general tips??? Thank you in advance!

2lv1nw1.jpg
2affza9.jpg
2w5rmtl.jpg
20gz1a0.jpg
addude.jpg

Not entirely sure, looks like nute burn coupled with over watering. I'm not an expert. Could be bls or something carried in from your green friends.

Anything showing up on the new growth? Three hours doesn't seem like much but if they were indoors it could just be a bit of sunburn?

was the water drops on the leaves while it was in the sun? if so the water can and will magnify the sun's uv ray and will literally be like holding a magnifying glass to it, just like kids do to ants, i had this happen to my plants last week, it only took an hour to do the exact same damage you have on your leaves, including holes in the leaves 

edit: other then that your leaves being deformed could be caused by lack of calcium, get some calmag or bone meal and work it into the soil or dissolve it in water and pour it on. other wise they look decently healthy

also those ties you have on the one plant in the picture, if it were me i would loosen them up quite a bit and put a fan on them so they can get stronger, the plant will never be strong enough to hold its self up if you dont allow it to,  

Thanks for the responses so far!

- I'm pretty sure overwatering is responsible for the wilting
- I fertilized recently. Perhaps I added too much.

This morning the leaves are getting worse, with a few leaf tips curling and some little spots and blackened tips on some of the new growth.

@Swatmamba - The curling shown in the third pic is definitely from aphids, which I got rid of manually followed by insecticidal soap, before they really took hold. I've been checking morning and night for them, and am 99% certain that they are all gone. As I'm on a balcony in the city, and have no other plants, there's a lot fewer vectors for transmission.

@ikeepfish - I'm afraid I've got something in addition to the nutrient burn, and the aphids would probably responsible - they showed up around the time I fertilized though.

@magicpepper - the leaves had water on them from spraying the plants (a short while before I took the photos) with a very weak water/baking soda solution that I read could limit the spread of a bacterial infection. RE curling, I'm sure it's the aphid damage, as that's where they were clustered when those leaves were just forming. The rest of the new growth is unaffected in this way. I'm pretty sure I'm fine on calcium - this is new pre-mixed soil and all the other leaves look fine. As for the ties, I get plenty of wind on the balcony, so I think some assistance is necessary while they're smaller. When they're bigger they're mostly for trying to keep the plant growing straight (in combination with rotating them every couple of days), since the direction their light comes from is limited - I loosen them regularly as the stem grows. Do you think the stem looks weak for the plant's size?

So, since I very likely have nutrient burn, how do I deal with that?
Also, what should I do with the damaged leaves with lots of brown spots that could be bacterial leaf spot? Cut them off to reduce the rate of spreading?

So, since I very likely have nutrient burn, how do I deal with that?
Also, what should I do with the damaged leaves with lots of brown spots that could be bacterial leaf spot? Cut them off to reduce the rate of spreading?

My best option when I get it (which doesnt really happen with good organic soil...so it's not often except in my aquaponics) is to flush the salts out of the pot with de-chlorinated water, possibly even just plain rain water (I was briefly thinking that if you live in an apartment you may not have considered that the chlorine could be affecting your plants).  Maybe wait for some new growth to appear and strip off as many damaged leaves as you can stand to do, they're already damaged and aren't going to repair.  Like I said, I'm not an expert but I can tell you my own experience since I've burned many plants over the years...especially using poultry manure.

Thanks, ikeepfish, I'll remove the worst affected leaves then. Luckily there is plenty of new growth starting to come through)

I have just been using tap water, but my apartment's got new plumbing, and my city's got very pure water. City testing over the last few months in my neighborhood shows a pH ranging between 7.2 and 7.6, and an average chlorine level of .08 mg/L. I think that's pretty low in terms of chlorine, and shouldn't have any measurable effect on the soil, but I may as well try leaving my watering can out for a few hours before I water so the chlorine dissipates.

Back