Plug pricing and timing?

I am thinking about selling plugs mail order this year.  Goal is to use the standard 72 plug trays and grow till the roots have filled each cell enough to leave the dirt on, held in place by the roots.  Sure you know the look.  Previously, sold bare root.  Want to get away from that.

Maybe folk could help me with boxes and pricing.  What do you normally pay for plugs, how tall are they, and what type of volume is each pack, when do you normally order them?  Goal is to work shipping into bundled prices.  Just example, maybe sell 10 for $20.00 ($2.00 a plug) to avoid folk ordering a single plug and me winding up paying more for shipping.  Does anyone ever get down to a buck a plug?

It all depends, A.J. Are we talking seed-grown, or rooted cuttings? How big, and how leafy? What size is the cell and how well-established is it? How do you plan on packaging it (don't forget, those packaging costs can add up fast).

We do a lot of mail order down at the nursery, and I'll probably be doing some mail order this year. When you factor in all the costs of production, especially if you're including shipping, a buck apiece is low unless you're talking seed-grown plants that aren't very old.

Got some stuff in from Salsa Lady for my baby girl to review.  She sent extra stuff including Mardi Gras beads with pepper beads.  Girl loved them.  I thought, ya know I should start tossing in something that is just plain fun.  Sure extra of what ever the order is, you know extra seeds if they order seeds.  But something else just fun lose beads.  Thanks to THP input, I have a winner.  Now I have to figure out how to ship Yogurt Pops with every order.

Wicked Mike - Am going with the standard 72 cell tray, square taper, and seed grown.  Sold bare root this spring, was not happy to have two reviews complaining there was barely any dirt on the roots.  Not kidding.  I do clone when I grow for myself, mainly to preserve cool dna, because I am a cheap bastard, and because I start so early I have to trim tops to keep things more or less equidistant to the bigger lights.  Was figuring seed grown but very curious that you seem to think clones are superior.  Do you think it better to start from cuttings?  Seems like much more work.

Juanitos - Can you tell me what bundles he offers?  My main goal is to come up with a price that is great for the customer that does not rape me on shipping.  The time and effort isn't really a focus until I have employees.  I work cheap.

Back