• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Poblano

Wow. 21 posts and no one mentioned making Ancho peppers out of them so you have plenty when it is time for the winter solstice party and bunches of mole poblano. :rofl: Scovie has the recipe somewhere on this forum. :party:

Scoville DeVille said:

Cotija is not necessary. Use Cheddar, Moz, Jack, Ricotta, Velveeta, heck even Brie in a pinch. LOL

Here is my favorite Batter for rellenos. Tip: use cold eggs.
For a simple batter, whip 3-6 cold egg whites in a chilled bowl until they are stiff. Stir up the remaining yolks and slowly fold them in with a pinch of salt. Use approximately 2 large eggs for each pound of chiles, or 1 egg per extra-large chile.

If you want to go nuts, here is one of my recipes for Rojo sauce:

• 3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 20 Blanched almonds
  • 1/2 cup green pumpkin seeds
  • 5-6 guajillo Chiles (dried)
  • 2-3 New Mexico Chiles (dried)
  • 2 Habaneros (dried)
  • 2 Tablespoons lard or vegetable oil (lard will make it more flavorful)
  • 2/3 cup finely diced white onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 1 Tbs Mexican whole Oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 pinches ground cinnamon
  • 5 cups chicken broth

Excellent recipe. I have the mirasols growing so I have guajillo peppers covered. I assume NuMex chilies in your recipe are hatch type chilies? If so, I have that covered too.

What this website needs is a thread for all Scovies mexican recipies. :cheers: Get to work on that bud.

. . . [make] Ancho peppers out of them . . .

This.  On 4 July, I stuck my head into deep, doored bin of them and inhaled deeply.  They were dark and richly fragrant, some very nice aroma therapy.

I could probably cut one or two fruit off my poblano right now. Then there are 4 more a few weeks behind that and tons of smaller ones. This stupid plant is in a 2 gallon pot but it's an overwinter. 

I didnt like them last year so I wanted some pro recipes.

Keep them coming!

DaQatz said:
mx5inpa you can also try just smoking them, and making a sauce out of them. They make a very tasty smoky mild hot sauce.

A smoker is on my list for this year. What kind of sauce we talking?

geeme said:
I grow ancho mulatto, a brown poblano type. They taste so good, I usually just eat them raw when ripe. However, I do also use them ripe in cooking. The decision to use green or ripe is a personal one - only you can decide which you prefer for a given chile.
Grew these 3 years ago. I wasn't over the moon about them...kinda small. They do eventually turn red after the brown phase.

Pr0digal_son said:
...kinda small.

Don't guys try to convince chicks that size doesn't matter?
Actually, part of what I like about them is their small size - it's just too easy to pull one off and snack on it while you're tending the garden.

mx5inpa said:

A smoker is on my list for this year. What kind of sauce we talking?

I have a number of them. What kind are you looking for? Shelf Stable? Sweet? BBQ? Steak Sauce?

Jeff H said:
Wow. 21 posts and no one mentioned making Ancho peppers out of them so you have plenty when it is time for the winter solstice party and bunches of mole poblano. :rofl: Scovie has the recipe somewhere on this forum. :party:

Excellent recipe. I have the mirasols growing so I have guajillo peppers covered. I assume NuMex chilies in your recipe are hatch type chilies? If so, I have that covered too.

What this website needs is a thread for all Scovies mexican recipies. :cheers: Get to work on that bud.

You're awesome Jeff.

Funny thing, The Pasilla Ancho is the dried version of the Poblano, and yet it's called "Pollo en Mole Poblano" But it is only the Pasilla Ancho that gets used, no fresh chiles whatsoever. :crazy: 

The "New Mexico" Chile is the dried version of the "Hatch" chile. 

Here is a picture showing the ingredients for my Mole, From Left to Right,
Pasilla Negro (dried Chilaca), California (dried Anehiem cousin to the New Mexico), Pasilla Ancho, New Mexico, and Habaneros (bottom).

View attachment 12527

I sent Booma all of the pods necessary for making my Mole, and he started a "Mexican Food" thread and posted it there, I don't know why I haven't contributed to it but I should.

This poblano has been in a 1 gallon pot since last summer. I just planted it last week. The mounding is a new experiment of mine too full with most of my peppers. It started with a compost pile too full of discarded pro-mix. So I just popped it out of the pot, beat up the roots, set it on a small layer of the compost then mounded it around the rootball and topped it with the few woodchips left. Two years ago this garden had 6" of wood chips covering it. The dirt ate almost all of it. Need moar.

I fully expect this to really take off once the roots get into the garden soil. I think the transplant stressed it enough to ripen the small fruit too.

When to pick? Is the one i focused on ready?

swhA2N0.jpg

Wow. That plant looks TINY, as do the pods. How tall is it? What variety? How long are those pods? 

It's kind of hard to tell about ripeness. I'm assuming you mean the one that almost looks black in the pic, towards the right side of the pic. Some pods will turn almost black from being in full sun a great part of the day, so being that dark doesn't necessarily mean ripe. I do see that it's larger than the others, so could be. Do you see any hint of redness to it? A lot of "chocolate" varieties still get at least a hint of red in them when fully ripe, even if they never fully turn red.

The long pod from the other pic is probably 5" long. I'm not sure why you wouldnt expect tiny pods from a plant thats been in the same tiny container since last summer and just got planted a few days ago.

MWEZiAf.jpg

I'm sure they will make nice lil stuffed poppers until it flowers again.

If you really want to laugh at a pepper here you go. This one has just been in a 4.5" pot since its birth this spring. Also, it just got planted. I think it has about 10 pods on it.

The Pimenta de Neyde behind it got planted the week before. It's grown probably 8" in 2 weeks. It's the same height as the tomatoes behind it and has been staying there.

Fg8PUtf.jpg

Yeah MX, I would pick it. when they turn that dark green is when they are the best. There are a couple in the other pic that look ready too even tho they are small. They won't get any larger at this point, so just pick them when they are 100% dark green, then get your Rellenos on!

I have grown these many times, but finally gave up. they were always smaller than the commercial growers and they are cheap, tasty and sometimes, flippin :hot:
I have had some Poblanos that were as hot as Serranos believe it or not.

Scoville DeVille said:
Yeah MX, I would pick it. when they turn that dark green is when they are the best. There are a couple in the other pic that look ready too even tho they are small. They won't get any larger at this point, so just pick them when they are 100% dark green, then get your Rellenos on!

I have grown these many times, but finally gave up. they were always smaller than the commercial growers and they are cheap, tasty and sometimes, flippin :hot:

They werent too bad last year in size from this same plant. I'm think they wouldve gotten bigger, but I ripped the roots to hell because it was so pot bound after over a year in that little pot. Right after that, like the next day, a few of the smaller ones started turning colors.

I'm not too worried I only started a month and a half late. :D

In a few days I'll pick all the ripe ones and beat them into something.

Scoville DeVille said:

Still have yet to find them at a grocery store here, so we have no choice

I like the ancho mulatto, grows fast has huge yields.

Never made rellenos as i love eating them while tending to the garden. maybe this year is the year

Swartmamba said:

Still have yet to find them at a grocery store here, so we have no choice

Say whaaaaa? They are right next to the Anaheim's, in between the Jalapeños and Serrano's, silly! :rofl:

But seriously, that sucks. $3 here sends you home with about 7 huge chiles. And oh hael yes... snackin' on them in the garden... a must!

Scoville DeVille said:

Say whaaaaa? They are right next to the Anaheim's, in between the Jalapeños and Serrano's, silly! :rofl:

But seriously, that sucks. $3 here sends you home with about 7 huge chiles. And oh hael yes... snackin' on them in the garden... a must!

Yes its brutal. Always see red/green jalapenos, tiny orange habs (tasteless hardly any heat), serranos and some red thai peppers,

Back