• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pod ripening question

I recently removed a fully grown, green, pod from my Thai/Kung Pao pepper bush. It has been fully grown for @ a month and hadn't changed from green to red so I removed it to facilitate the growth of other pods on the bush. My question is this:

Should I keep the pod in a bright/hot place or a cool/dark place for it to fully ripen/change color(?)? Thanks.

Either-or. I have heard of the bag method before, but not 100% of its use. I THINK it's to help keep pests and fungi off of the pods. That right AJ?

the pods produce a chemical called ethylene gas, which causes them them to ripen. If you put them in a bag, it traps the gas, which causes accelerated ripening. However, if you have an overripe/rotted pod, it will cause all of them to overripen/rot faster too, so it's important for them to be all about the same level of ripeness when they go in the bag together. If you just put them on a plate or counter, they will also ripen, but more slowly, such that the pod may go bad / get soft before they sufficiently ripen; that's why the paper bag trick is helpful - it speeds things up.

Just put it in your kitchen window. It'll ripen right up!

in a brown paper bag
Did both of these things. Two & 1/2 days in a paper bag on the windowsill :) :

5394770910_1849ce1de6.jpg

ThaNKS GUYS

My first powder experiment was with green pods i bought from the supermarket. Can't say how long they were there but I left them in a bowl for a few days before dehydrating and putting them in the grinder. The powder result smelled a bit off, couldn't use it. They didn't smell off before grinding and it might have been because I left the seeds in. It was just an experiment in dehydrating and grinding but I think it is really worth using them fresh. Don't overipen!

My first powder experiment was with green pods i bought from the supermarket. Can't say how long they were there but I left them in a bowl for a few days before dehydrating and putting them in the grinder. The powder result smelled a bit off, couldn't use it. They didn't smell off before grinding and it might have been because I left the seeds in. It was just an experiment in dehydrating and grinding but I think it is really worth using them fresh. Don't overipen!
It was completely green before I put it in the paper bag. I'm going to eat it within a few days and maybe share a piece w/ my roommate.

Are seeds from a pod ripened in this way viable?

I keep seeds from pods that are allowed to develop in fully ripe pods on the plant.

I would think so. In nature they fall off the plant and will sprout. Someone with experience about this might say different.

There are wild varieties drop their pods when they become ripe. The domesticated varieties I grow hold onto their pods until the plant dies back in the winter.

My garden cayennes, kung pao, and jalapenos would not ripen (turn red) all season because of the cool summer we had. No worries. I picked them green and put them in paper bags and put them on top of the kitchen cabinets. Almost every one of them ripened and eventually made excellent powder.

Mine aren't ripening on thier own prolly because i'm still watering them the usual amount and its always @ 70 degrees in my apt.

you might consider the chilis are growing well
and taking the proper amount of time

it may be the farmer is not allowing them to ripen when they are ready?

it seems the farmer has picked green and then forced "ripening"

the tomato growers constantly pick green then xylene gas their (tasteless)
garbage.

please consider trying to show patience and find out if "vine ripened" :eek:
does not work out in your flavor(sic)

Back