Pod ripening question

My problem is vine ripening too long, forgetting to pick them and then they all drop off and rot on the ground :crazy:

My problem is vine ripening too long, forgetting to pick them and then they all drop off and rot on the ground :crazy:
I finally had the rest of my pods ripen on my first plant last week. All mine are indoors so its not hard for me to check on them. You prolly have more to monitor eh?

I keep seeds from pods that are allowed to develop in fully ripe pods on the plant.
Do you keep the entire pod and just set it aside of crack the pod to allow moisture to escape for storing? I want to know for next season.

Do you keep the entire pod and just set it aside of crack the pod to allow moisture to escape for storing? I want to know for next season.

I completely remove the seeds from the pod and placenta and then place them in a dry paper towel. Then it's a matter of folding the paper towel to contain the seeds, securing it with tape and labelling.

I find the top of my router provides warm place for the seeds to dry enclosed in the paper towel.

I finally had the rest of my pods ripen on my first plant last week. All mine are indoors so its not hard for me to check on them. You prolly have more to monitor eh?

Not a lot to look after at all. It's just the intrusive non chili world that takes up my time. And I'm lazy. :D

I completely remove the seeds from the pod and placenta and then place them in a dry paper towel. Then it's a matter of folding the paper towel to contain the seeds, securing it with tape and labelling.

I find the top of my router provides warm place for the seeds to dry enclosed in the paper towel.

When its dried out do the seeds stuck in the placenta just come away? That sounds like the easiest way of saving seeds.

When its dried out do the seeds stuck in the placenta just come away? That sounds like the easiest way of saving seeds.

I just saved the seeds from a Bishop's Hat pod where I left the seeds attached to the placenta. The separated the seeds from the dried placenta with ease. The placenta of the Bishop's Hat wasn't very oily and dried well.

The placenta of oilier pods doesn't dry as well. I didn't find it much easier to separate the seeds from the placenta of Capsicum Chinense varieties after leaving them to dry the same way as the other seeds.

ok, now we see the farmer has "said"
the chilis are ripe the "natural"
way.

please be so kind as to allow us if the "bag" ripenated chilis
are inferior to the "natural" ripenated ones :crazy:

maybe a pic with the ripenated ones still on there?

i am hoping you CAN and have tasted the two methods?

the germination of chilis depends on many factors
and the ripeness may tend to be an "important" one

ok, now we see the farmer has "said"
the chilis are ripe the "natural"
way.

please be so kind as to allow us if the "bag" ripenated chilis
are inferior to the "natural" ripenated ones :crazy:

maybe a pic with the ripenated ones still on there?

i am hoping you CAN and have tasted the two methods?

the germination of chilis depends on many factors
and the ripeness may tend to be an "important" one
I ate them. I had 5 chilies on one branch that ripened within days of each other. Before that I was using the bag-ripening method because I had the bush growing all winter w/ green pods. Here's a pic of the first one to start vine-ripening. Notice the 3 green pods below it. They started ripening too within a week. I have since eaten them all. You can also see where I severly pruned the plant because it was @ 3 1/2 ft tall and I was wanting to cut it down to a stump for the Spring, which I have done.
5520734465_1b0ebfb968_z.jpg

Here's my favorite new plant, aside from my habanero's (and seeds that you gave me :-), that has @ 5-pods/node :)

5564919580_5e3a9de496_z.jpg

wow "dot" that is stupendous :woohoo:

that looks like some polyploidy(sp?) type of action right there
kinda like a human with polydactile or extra digits
makes it tough to flip the bird if you got six

so please compare the flavoration of vine ripenated versus baggedly bolstered
if you may be so inclinated

edited to change spelling of made up modified verbages;
miscommuniqués if you ponder :onfire:

Back